Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181580 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2012, 07:42 AM »
I hope these hit Disneyland...and soon.  I'll be there for a few days at the end of this month.  If not however, I'll live.  They're cool and the idea is great, but man, I've got a lot of astromechs.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Ah man, how is any average collector going to get all of these? eBay will be the only avenue, hopefully some sellers will sell complete lots, I just fear the price. They look great!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2012, 11:07 AM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:14 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2012, 11:14 AM »
Interesting. So you get clam shells to store the figure in with a sticker to name to droid. So no bucket of parts. Just one or two complete droids. This will be like buy custom figures on ebay.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Seems more managle to collect and acquire. We need a checklist to complete this. This is going to be expensivley painful but fun....
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2012, 11:40 AM »
according to someone that posted on Curto's Facebook page these will be $12.95 for one and $18.95 for the 2 pack

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2012, 11:50 AM »
I still wish we knew more about Hasbro's plans for 2013.  I don't want to go all ape-crazy buying up Disney BAD parts for a premium price only to find out at SDCC in July that many of these same parts will be recycled/reused in a new 2013 BAD basic figure line.  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2012, 11:56 AM »
So if you make 25 unique droids (one for each dome), get 24 of them in 2-packs and 1 in a single pack - that will run you $240.35

And in my case, I'd want to get two of each unique droid.... bringing the total to $480.70.

I just checked Spirit Airlines and from Atlantic City, NJ -> Orlando, FL, the cheapest rate I can get is $84 one-way - which means that is $168 round-trip.

According to one site - a one-way taxi ride from the airport to WDW is $55, so that means renting a compact car for the day would probably be better, let's just figure $100 for that.

That means the grand total for getting these would be approximately $750 - $800 total - for 50 figures, which means $15 - $16 a droid.

Almost would be better to just drive the 17 hours, live out of the car, go to the park, drive back - maybe get a hotel one night just to shower. But even that I estimate will cost me roughly $220 in gas and that's with me taking my Prius.

The biggest thing that's stopping me is that what happens if you get there and they don't have all of the parts in stock? I can seriously see there being a run on R6, R8 and R9 domes as we speak.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2012, 12:42 PM »
Don't forget to add admission to the park into your tally.  Currently $90.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Hense you can see how much of a pain in the ass buying Disney exclusives for everyone is.

Disneyland is a little easier but still a major pain going to parks, dealing with parking and fighting thru capacity crowds during the summer because of Carsland and the rededication of Disney California Adventure.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2012, 01:16 PM »
Welp, count me out on these I guess... if they offered a set with each part for like $100 maybe I'd be down but I really just want some of the "generic" droids (i.e. R2-D2 with different colors), then maybe a few of the newer R6 and R9 parts.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2012, 01:23 PM »
Don't forget to add admission to the park into your tally.  Currently $90.

Good point - I meant to put it in there, but forgot - so that means it's more like $900 for a set of 50 droids which would mean roughly $18/droid.

Or if I drove it - which I am contemplating...

$480 for the droids
$220 for the gas
$100 to get in the park
$50 tolls
Total: $850 / 50 = $17/figure

I could shave a few bucks off if I just doubled up the duplicates into the same 2-packs so instead of it being 24 2-packs and 2 single packs, it would just be 25 2-packs - that brings the droid price down to $473.

Keeping in mind that the droid purchase prices don't include tax either....  :-X

The one positive to just driving it would be that I wouldn't have to worry about how to get all of them home on the plane.

I just wish they had released, as an option, a box set of all 70 parts....  >:(

Hense you can see how much of a pain in the ass buying Disney exclusives for everyone is.

I never had any doubt of how much of a pain in the ass it was Paul.... :)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2012, 01:55 PM »
I'll second Jeff's thought...  What's 2013's plans?

That said, if these are around at C6, I'm going to ask Jim about hooking me up with a 2-pack.  :)  I'm going to pick the parts I want the most, and be content with that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Well, I'm glad I never had any interest in Disney/Star Tours exclusive items, because this definitely seems like a pain in the ass for collectors. Having a box of all 71 parts available would have been cool, but oh well. It's still a cool feature and a few droids would make great (and unique!) souvenirs from Disney.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2012, 02:20 PM »
more news on this:

someone asked about the longevity of this and the response was:

There is a permanent fixture in the Tatooine Traders shop at the exit of Star Tours. You can’t miss it as it faces the attraction exit. In keeping with the storyline of the shop, it is modeled after young Anakin Skywalker’s workbench. I just returned from the opening this morning and it looks awesome!

someone asked about disneyland:

Currently, we are only introducing the Droid Factory at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Provided it’s popular with guests, we may consider additional locations.

and when asked about the stuff all the parts you want in a box like Mr. Potato head:

One of the original concepts was to model it after the create-your-own Mr. Potato Head from Once Upon a Toy. Yet, it was decided to build individual figures to add a more personal connection (you can create a unique figure that you can name).

but really I am sure he meant to say:

We knew we could milk Star Wars fans of all their money by going this route.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:27 PM by shmashwitdaclub »