Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181587 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Ok - here are the pics of my droids - sorry there are so many...

The R2s...

The R3s...

The R4s...

The R5s...

The R6s... (still need an R6 Black w/Silver dome on an all black body)

The R7s...

The R8s...

The R9s...

A group shot...

Phew!!! 98 Droids done (49 in clamshell, 49 open) - 2x of one more droid design left and I need 2x more of the Fedora and Pirate hat (for my hat-less R3s)...

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 1, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Retail price?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 1, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I like the fedora and pirate hats....they should include those with retail BADs.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 1, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Retail price?

Roughly 49 2-packs x $22/pack = $1080

That's with Florida sales tax. It does not include the extra $$$ I gave the guy who helped me out and saved me from having to make another trip.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #214 on: September 2, 2012, 02:00 PM »
My buddy Jim, who attended C6, got me 3 BAD's from the shop, and they're outstanding looking. :)

The mini R5 head was gone, but such is life.  :(  He's my hook-up anyway since he goes often so I'm sure he'll help me out on those when they restock.  I dig the new heads.  They're neat, and add something unique to the Astromech shelves.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 3, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Personally, I don't care at all for the R7's.  I wouldn't mind adding a blue R4 and black/white R8 to my collection.  A friend of mine hooked me up with a red R3 and a blue R8.  I guess we've already gotten some type or variation of most of those droids already so maybe that's why most of them don't really appeal to me. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #216 on: September 12, 2012, 02:38 AM »
Thanks to my buddy Jim, I now have 3 Disney BAD's...  All new domes, as I'm pretty strictly going to stick with only  new domes on these...  I think...

Anyway, I got the black weird dome with the ridge, and the white/black body & legs.  Makes a pretty slick looking astromech but I can't tell what the hell this dome's "eye" is.  Everyone has a pretty easily discernable front except this one Dome, but I dig the silver ridge on the top for some reason.

I got a solid green bodied one with the quasi-R2-ish dome with the centered eye...  This is easily my favorite because A) there's no body close to this color in the movies that I recall, and B) the dome's just really neat looking and different.  Looks like I found my new favorite droid for a fictional pilot figure or Keyan Farlander to get.

I also got the orange-ish and white body and legs, with the same dome as that black/white droid but with the orange trim. 

The mini-R5 type domes were all gone but those are cool too and I hope to get some of those on my buddy's next trip.  A big thanks to Jimree for helping me get ANY of these though, since a trip to Disney isn't on my plate for any time soon.  Took time out of his vacation to do this for me and I totally appreciate it.

He also helped me complete a BAD Silver Death Star Droid, the blue R3 unit, and the blue R7 with the rocket pods at Hasbro's part swap, so yeah, Jim really got me a ton of stuff on his time and dime.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2012, 05:25 AM »
Ok - here are the pics of my droids - sorry there are so many...

Phew!!! 98 Droids done (49 in clamshell, 49 open)

Ridiculous pix there Pete.  Well done!  I've gotta ask though, how did you come up with the various droid "designs" on some of them?  I have a pic of all 71 pieces where I've laid out the various designs I want to eventually make out of this line, but I've only chosen to make 25 different droids - 1 for each unique dome, matched up to like colors as best as possible for the remaining pieces.

For example, in your R9s, why the blue-domed yellow bodied guy?  Short on specific pieces, or just artistic licensing on your part, or was there a strategy to shoot for six per on most types?  Just curious.  I love that you've got so many different flavors, as I was having trouble on selecting a small handful of my choices (red head with red body or white body w/ red trim, for example).  You've got 'em both in there so it gives me a good visual idea of which setup I'd prefer.  Thanks!
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Ultimately, I wanted as a minimum:

2x each dome
3x of every other part

That was about it - obviously I have more than 3x of several parts, but when it came to the white w/yellow R2 trunk, there were only really two uses since the white/yellow R7 & R8 domes get the white w/yellow R7 trunk.

So when I was looking for a third possible use, I thought pairing it with a blue dome would look neat. That was really the extent to my thinking.

Peter

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36 AM »
Got it.  I figured as much.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything as far as getting my To-Do checklist in order for these guys.  I'm still interested to see if these are eventually going to make their way out to the West Coast as well.  Might have a slightly better chance of picking them up if they do.
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #220 on: September 13, 2012, 02:12 PM »
If I recall from C6 right, they're coming to Anaheim in 2013.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #221 on: September 14, 2012, 03:54 PM »
If I recall from C6 right, they're coming to Anaheim in 2013.

Droid Factory is heading to Anaheim next year and in talking to one of the Disney reps at C6 they said there would be new parts as well. When the topic of other types of droids came up, they did the whole thing where they say "I don't know about that" all the while with a smirk on their face.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 19, 2012, 11:01 AM »
Retail price?

Roughly 49 2-packs x $22/pack = $1080

That's with Florida sales tax. It does not include the extra $$$ I gave the guy who helped me out and saved me from having to make another trip.

And I'm officially done worrying about keeping the collection 'complete.'  $540 for random R-Units with mouse ears is where I draw the line.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:02 AM by Rob »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #223 on: September 19, 2012, 07:33 PM »
Good news then...  These actually are only quasi-Hasbro items, according to an anonymous source on the matter. :)

A friend contacted us prior to C6 filling us in on just how the Disney Droid Factory came to be...  Apparantly Disney had been fiddling with the idea since the Build-A-Droid line hit shelves in 2008...  They liked the concept, and wanted something similar for their stores for a "personalized souvenier" kind of thing.

Flash forward to now...  Disney used Hasbro's molds/factory, under contract, but these are sort of actually not Hasbro items as much as they're Disney items...  if that makes sense.  It's like Hasbro working with the GI Joe Fan Club, and under contract making figures they pay for.

From a certain point of view then, these Disney Figures are 100% separate from the main Hasbro line, just as the Starspeeder 1000 is.

Of course one could also argue they used Hasbro molds, so they're Hasbro figures, but yeah, let that debate roar.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Yeah - I don't think that's ever been in question Jesse - Disney licensed the molds for the parts that Hasbro already had tooled - things like the Torso, left/right/middle legs, R2/R3/R4/R5/R7 domes...

But then Disney added the R6/R8/R9 domes and their "novelty hats" to the mix.

This is also the reason why DDP says that if Hasbro were to ever release a R6/R8/R9 droid, it would be a new sculpt, now whether that is because they want a version of the dome that doesn't have the socket for the novelty hat OR if Disney paid for the tooling and doesn't want to license it back to Hasbro, remains to be seen.

To be they are definitely in the same category as the Starspeeder Ship/Playset - and since they are all scaled to the regular Hasbro line - that's good enough for me.

I kind of look at it from the same point of view as if some other company started making playsets/environments for the 3.75" line - while they aren't Hasbro products - because they are designed to work/integrate with my 3.75" Hasbro Star Wars figures, they would definitely be something I would want to buy...
Peter