Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181923 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2013, 10:24 PM »
Yes.

California - Build a Droid at Disneyland is inside the park at Star Traders only.

Florida - Build a Droid at WDW is outside the park at Once Upon a Toy in Downtown Disney.
              It is also inside Disney Hollywood Studios park in Tatooine Traders.

Get it? Got it? Good.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:28 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2013, 09:24 AM »
Awesome. Now I just have to find someone who's going inside the park.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Like kids trying to buy booze lol
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2013, 08:41 AM »
Rats, I was hoping my ole friend Big Pink Sweater Crotch Size Small could mule some for me, there is no way he is going to pay the entry fee

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2013, 06:06 PM »
It's only reason I have any is the kindness of local friends.  Some of the new domes & colors really look good on shelves with rebels or aliens.  Great filler droids.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 24, 2013, 09:24 AM »
With the help of some good friends I was able to snag a could of these guys. Very neat. Can't wait to get more.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #246 on: April 24, 2013, 02:54 PM »
Got 6 on the way from a local buddy who's been there this week...  Can't wait for them.  I had a lot more already, so this is just icing on the cake and another buddy making a trip down later, so I may beg for another.  Depends what's on its way back.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2014, 02:49 AM »
Hello, my name is Peter, and I am a Disney Build-A-Droid Factory-a-holic...

Just spent the week at Disney - did I really need these droids? Nope, but I couldn't NOT make a stop at the Droid Factory  ;D

A couple of these droids, were just making droids that were alternate designs I considered for my original set of 50 droids but didn't do so that I could get x-number of each part.

Tops on my to-do list were the Blue-dome R9 on the white w/blue body and the Red R3 dome on an all-red body.

The Black/Red R6 and R9 are for my desk at work and the other droids were built just to add one more droid with those parts to the collection - with the exception of domes (of which now my collection has 57; 3x of the seven domes in the pic above and 2x of the remaining 18 domes) - I now have, at a minimum, 4x of every other part in the set.

I was also able to score the Search for the Rebel Spy and Star Tours Sector 2 Security box sets while I was there as well - glad to finally add them to the collection.

I kinda lucked out - the first night we were there, we went over to Downtown Disney and I stopped into the Once Upon a Toy store - grabbed the box sets and droids.

Parts-wise, they were pretty limited, I did not see any of these parts:
Silver w/Blue R2 Dome
Silver w/Red R2 Dome
Purple R3 Dome
White w/Blue R4 Dome
Silver w/Blue R7 Dome
Blue w/Silver R8 Dome
Blue/White R7/R8 Trunk

One of the employees had to help me by going into the back and getting me a 2nd Black R6 dome (I built 2x of each droid), 2x of the White w/Purple R2 Trunks (there were NONE in the display) and the White w/Blue highlights legs I needed.

Plenty of middle legs of all colors, plenty of the hats of all styles. Green droids don't seem to be very popular, while there were plenty of Black, Blue, Red and Green legs, the most prevalent were the Green ones.

If you're heading down, I would strongly recommend trying the Downtown Disney location first since the build station has four sides and the employees are actually grateful to see someone building droids who wants to BUY them. The woman who helped me lamented the fact that over at the Lego store there are these stations where kids can build stuff - for free - and when kids come into the Once Upon a Toy Store - they often think the build-a droid and build-a-lightsaber stations work the same way. In fact even while I was building, several parents asked me "do we have to pay for this?" - meanwhile the station is plastered with the pricing signs so the first two times I was asked I politely responded "yes" and referred them to the pricing information, the third and fourth time, I simply responded "duh?!?" and the last time I said "no - I think you could walk out of here with all the parts you can carry - for free!" - the adult looked at me and knew I was giving him a smart-assed response.

When I went through Star Tours, I noticed that they have the Build Station at Tatooine Traders locked down like prison. They have the rope line and then when you go into the build station, they block it off from anyone else from standing there next to you and the whole time, there is a cast member "helping" (more like hurrying) the kid along with building his/her droids. Glad they weren't doing it like that when I was there back in May 2012.

So definitely go to Downtown Disney FIRST and then if they couldn't help you with a specific part and you're already heading to Hollywood Studios, try the Tatooine Traders location as a rushed "last resort".
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Pete, thanks a lot, very helpful info. I am headed down there again in a few weeks and Hollywood Studios is finally on our To-Do list. I have been looking forward to some BAD fun. Good to know Downtown Disney is a better bet than inside the park.

Were the boxed Star Tours sets marked down? I think I heard that somewhere...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Were the boxed Star Tours sets marked down? I think I heard that somewhere...

Yes! Sorry I forgot to mention that. They were priced $24.99 each and $39.99 for two. So the discount comes when you purchase two of them.

It was on ALL of the Star Tours multi-packs, not just the 2013 sets.

The Star Tours Sector 2 Security set was plentiful EVERYWHERE. The only place I saw the Search for the Rebel Spy set was at the Downtown Disney store (where I bought the only two they had) and at Tatooine Traders - they had one front-facing, but it's entirely possible their stock on that set was limited as well...

One other tip for the Downtown Disney build-a-droid station - the parts feed from the top and you can lift the top panel of the build station on each side to see if any of the parts you need are in the part "feeder" bin for each of the part types you're looking for.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Man, I'm so jealous of all your droids, Pete.  Can't wait until the next time I make it out to Disney to do some droid building... my two droids from C-6 are so lonely for new R6, R8, and R9 friends!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #251 on: February 1, 2014, 01:14 PM »
I'm going to be heading to Disney World in November.  This will be fun diversion, but I have no intention of trying to get all of anything.  Just a few might be fun.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I had some fun with this today! Built a nice set of four droids at Tatooine Traders. It was locked down just as Pete described, but luckily my wait was only about 5-10 minutes. I built those suckers in no time though! The "attendant" actually came in pretty handy as I had to keep bugging her for spare parts I couldn't find in the bins on my side. There was only one part I could tell for sure they were out of  - a random green left leg. Weird.

My daughters enjoyed building their own light sabers too...Windu purple with Dooku hilts. I found it odd they had Maris Brood's saber hilt as a selection though. Just struck me as oddly random.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2014, 11:00 PM »
Disney Droids are, for some odd reason, some of my favorite pieces I have.  Love sneaking them in with random figures like they're following them around or something.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2014, 11:36 PM »
Disney Droids are, for some odd reason, some of my favorite pieces I have.  Love sneaking them in with random figures like they're following them around or something.

They are for me as well. Even though I have 57 unique droids in my collection (x2) plus the body I designed to work with the dome from Yoda's JSF mini-rig, I definitely would probably continue to get AT LEAST one 2-pack every time I visit WDW.

I can't imagine going down there and not coming home with any droids. The only thing I might do differently before my next trip is waste an afternoon, pulling all my current droids apart and seeing if there are any other color combinations I might want to build.
Peter