Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread  (Read 101224 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2013, 08:51 AM »
LOL, Clovis = unadulterated SUCK, I hate that whiny doosh...I thought Anakin had him murdered at the end of his last episode anyway.

It is curious how those fell out of the cycle, but I can't say I'm going to miss them.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2013, 12:35 PM »
"Point of No Return"...it was better than the Bridget Fonda movie of the same name. Speaking cameo for Tarkin. Bunny droid.

Why did Gascon initially think the separatists were just going to blow up that ship, one they went to the trouble to capture? What an idiot.

Why did they call it a Jedi Cruiser? It's a Republic ship. Maybe they think the audience is dumb. IT's A GOOD GUY SHIP!

Horrific droid casualties. Is this the buzz droid's first appearance on the show? Can't remember.

So a major strike is foiled mostly by happenstance? R2-D2 saved the day...and future murderers Tarkin and Anakin and the sin of that is on his dome! ANH is now about R2 trying to atone for his past.  ;)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2013, 04:23 PM »
That explosion, and ensuing fallout, from the Cruiser was one of the best rendered scenes in the series. I guess the Republic has nothing better to do than scour the wreckage for one astromech though.  :P

I liked the build-a-droid reference there at the end. Too bad it means **** now as a result of canceling of the BAD line.  ::) :P

I also noticed that during one of the commercial breaks they showed that the ETA-2 "ROTS" Jedi Starfighters will be making an appearance soon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:26 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Better than I expected...  I agree on the points you made scockery.  The "Jedi Cruiser" name really dumbed it downa but IMO, probably for kids?  I dunno.

I will say though I'm with Jayson on that explosion.  It almost helped that episode along a lot.  Why am I more interested in the strategy meeting though than this whole story arc? :(

It has the potential to be better and more adult oriented while still appealing to kids, but I feel like the series has taken a permanent turn downward in the adult appeal.  Now you're lucky to get a bone thrown your way like Walrusman, and while people go nuts for a second, I feel like that's really sucky compared to past seasons.  This arc had some redeeming qualities though, and hopefully the next plot line has more.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2013, 09:33 PM »
Agree, more action than expected
as the droids become acrobats and fighters

Gascon looks a bit like boss nass
but with a more serious voice.
He could be of some use for further episodes
but as a supporting character.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2013, 11:41 PM »
I didn't mind this episode really... it had some action at least. Gascon is pretty awful for a Star Wars character though, and I wonder if this arc would have been better without him.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2013, 12:05 AM »
Agreed on Gascon...  horrible character overall.  I get the need for him to be small and all, but I'd rather they just had a goofy droid play that part.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2013, 12:24 AM »
I missed this...the skeleton in old ship wreckage in "A Sunny Day in the Void" was Jaxxon's...or a similarly dressed member of his species.

Seems the next arc is three episodes, though we actually got part 1 of 4 out of sequence as the season opener.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04 AM »
I missed the Jaxxon skeleton originally too, that was cute.

So, yeah, it was a cool explosion this past episode. Funny how a ship loaded with enough explosives to destroy the4 entire Republic fleet as Gascon notes, isn't even strong enough to atomize a droid sitting right in the center of it all. That was so beyond plausible to me I just had to shake my head.

Yay, Tarkin sighting. Increased potential for animated figure being made by 0.000123%.

For real though, if that new Super Tactical Droid is not part of the line this year I'm going to plotz.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2013, 02:16 PM »
That is funny.  I'll chalk that up to the little Col. being a worthless, exagerrating dickweed.  Which he pretty much was.

I see the ship's intent as just being a direct course on that station.  Kill a lot of high-level people in the Republic and topple it.  Maybe even a mission Palpatine isn't aware of, concocted by someone in the Separatists maybe a little pissed off at how the war's dragging on people like Dooku and Grievous never accomplish anything?  Who knows.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2013, 06:56 PM »
As cool as the explosion was, it's utterly sad that the merits of this show have been reduced to how cool its explosions are.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2013, 07:20 PM »
The more I think about it, why wouldn't the CIS bring the cruiser out of hyperspace at the last possible second, if at all? I mean why not slam it into the station at hyperspace speed, detonating the explosives and destroying a huge contingent of the Republic fleet in one fell swoop.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Maybe the station has some protection against that?

Was it close to a planet?  Maybe that inhibits the ability to fly in hyper space too close?

Being that it's Clone Wars, a lot of it is ill-conceived IMO.

In X-Wing the Alliance steals a shuttle and delivers an explosive to a Destroyer hidden amongst the stolen shuttle's original cargo.  It's one of the first, or an early anyway, destruction of a Destroyer I guess.

Anyway, basically, it was a billion times more plausible than this whole arc, and it was a 30 second cut scene in a game from the 1990's.

Another scenario had them taking a Corvette, setting it to autopilot a course at an Imperial Drydock that would have it basically ram through the command towers of destroyer after destroyer that were docked for repairs, and ruin operations for a sector.  A similarly awesome sabotage scenario.

I highly suggest anyone interested look those cutscenes up on Youtube.  They're short, glorious, and you got to actually be a part of it all if you played the game to boot.  That's just good fun.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2013, 11:14 PM »
For some reason the battle droids were not programmed to be suicidal and planned to leave in the shuttle, can a shuttle take off from another ship in hyperspace?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:15 PM by Scockery »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2013, 11:36 PM »
From what I recall in EU, you can't just leave a ship in hyperspace without something bad happening.

It stands to reason that's why the Alliance ships leave their hangars before they head to Endor too I figure.  Easier to just jump on their own rather than try jumping and forming up when they get there.