Author Topic: Target "Darth Maul Returns" Battle Pack  (Read 32400 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Target "Darth Maul Returns" Battle Pack
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 09:24 AM »
Some additional thoughts this morning:

1) Why does Maul have a double bladed lightsaber when he clearly sported a single bladed saber in the show?

2) Where is Savage Oppress' lightsaber? Not even Hasbro would be stupid enough to re-issue this figure without his lightsaber, right? RIGHT?

3) I read where the "Nightsister" is based on a composite sketch from the Wizards of the Coast game, or some such nonsense. Huh? Didn't they make their own miniatures? Why are we wasting precious spaces in this line for competing licenses? It would have been EASY to simply drop the braids and saber and call her Mother Talzin.

4) If this is how we are going to get Robot Chicken Maul, WTF are they going to put out for the carded version? There is NO WAY Spider Legs is fitting in a bubble. And those are really the only 2 choices.

I hate to sound like a whiny doosh, because there is a lot to like about this set (2 new figures in a BP!) but it just seems like they went 9/10ths of the way and then fell short of total success with some really silly minor details.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 12:46 PM »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Overall this set looks pretty good. The only bad part looks to be the weapon choice for Savage. The normal battle axe or a lightsaber would have been a much better inclusion. Aside from that I'm happy with the set, and I can't wait to get it.

3) I read where the "Nightsister" is based on a composite sketch from the Wizards of the Coast game, or some such nonsense. Huh? Didn't they make their own miniatures? Why are we wasting precious spaces in this line for competing licenses? It would have been EASY to simply drop the braids and saber and call her Mother Talzin.

Wizards is a subsidiary of Hasbro, and also no longer makes Star Wars miniatures, so there is no risk of "competition".

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 04:23 PM »
When is this supposed to be coming out?

I wonder if they have a reset planned for some point this summer and maybe THEN there might be a break in the gridlock that is the Target pegs (wishful thinking).
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 12:47 AM »
I'm thinking the late summer reset...  New Clone Wars, TPM3D out on disc, and stuff like that.  I'd be a little surprised if these rolled out in the middle of Summer when nothing is really going on that stores would want to promote.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 08:09 PM »
I'm totally buying this. Just some thoughts, especially since Scum has some Hi-Res photos of the set:

- Nightsister is SA - ankles, ball-jointed elbows (not the cut elbows as previously thought), the works
- Where in the HECK is Savage's lightsaber? Hasbro, that's a really, REALLY stupid move...
- Maul has jointed elbows, ankles, and knees, as far as I can discern. From the photos, it looks like he has no torso articulation, and I can't tell if he has wrist articulation, either.
- What the hell is the deal with Maul's lightsaber?

Maul actually looks like the weakest of the set, which is incredibly stupid being that this BP revolves around him, a major, iconic Star Wars character that's been MIA for 12+ years since TPM in '99. The head sculpt doesn't look like the cartoon character, and he seems to be missing articulation in major places. Plus, that crappy lightsaber contraption sure looks wonky. I'm hoping the lightsaber pieces themselves are removable from that round red piece of plastic.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 08:27 AM »
thanks for the heads up on the pics - Maul does look bad.

Offline MasterFisto

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 09:04 AM »
thanks for the heads up on the pics - Maul does look bad.

Really?  I think that Maul looks sweet as hell, and I am getting this Battle Pack just to get him (I already have that Savage figure - with a lightsaber, too). 

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 09:44 AM »
I guess I feel that way since I prefer realisitc over animated, and we already have the SDCC Visionaries Comic pack Maul - which has for more articulation than this one.  It is pretty darn close to the looks of the CW version, unless I am missing something.

Offline MasterFisto

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 10:40 AM »
I guess I feel that way since I prefer realisitc over animated...

I have the comic pack version, and I think that I prefer this newer one....just because it more closely resembles the character's appearance on the show.  I am also pleased to see that this new Maul has quite a bit of articulation.  And I am not bummed about the wonky lightsaber thingy, since I have plenty of older sabers that I can use with this figure.  And the only thing I am looking forward to with regard to the Nightsister figure is that badass lightsaber that she comes with. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 4, 2012, 08:33 AM »
So what's the deal, is this thing coming out soon? I gather there have been some kind of developments recently - signage, shelf space clearage, DPCI, etc.

Curious for any details anyone might be able to share...my employer doesn't want me looking at Yakface.com apparently.

Offline MasterFisto

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 4, 2012, 09:27 AM »
So what's the deal, is this thing coming out soon? I gather there have been some kind of developments recently - signage, shelf space clearage, DPCI, etc.

Curious for any details anyone might be able to share...my employer doesn't want me looking at Yakface.com apparently.

Word on the street is that this pack is scheduled to come out in the next couple of weeks.  Here is the text from Yakface:

Yakface reader DarthChuckMc writes in with word that Target stores are prepping for the arrival of the Darth Maul Returns Battle Pack within the next week or so. His local store has already allocated shelf space and placed shelf tags. You can check your local store inventory with DPCI: 087-06-1175

If DarthChuckMc reporting here is the same user as Darth_Chuck over at Rebelscum, then this might be some really reliable news, since Darth_Chuck works as a department manager for Target. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 4, 2012, 09:49 AM »
I was wondering who this Chuck person was...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 4, 2012, 01:18 PM »
Excellent...thanks for the info. A quick DPCI check of the area Targets via web shows Not In Stock all around, but hopefully that will change soon. I'll need at least two for sure.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: September 6, 2012, 01:54 AM »
Chuck Tweeted that out to us and he's usually up on this stuff. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77