Author Topic: K-Mart Exclusive Vintage ROTJ AT-ST  (Read 37758 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: K-Mart Exclusive Vintage ROTJ AT-ST
« Reply #45 on: August 6, 2012, 11:52 PM »
I thought the body looked ok...  There's some grey shade differences on the AT-ST models so I'm fine with that.  I could do with a little less mud too, but IIRC there's a good bit of stuff on the feet in various scenes...  I'm thinking in particular, close-ups of AT-ST feet like with the Ewok hammering on them and stuff.

I may attach some greenery to the toes...  Snaz it up a bit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #46 on: August 7, 2012, 06:58 AM »
If I find this, I'll probably use a little nail polish remover to take out some of the brown paint on the feet. Plus, I've wanted to weather one of my AT-ST's...maybe this will be the one.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2012, 12:45 PM »
Finally got a chance to open up my Kmart AT-ST and I'll confirm some of the reports on the legs.  My AT-ST's legs are wobbly as all get out.  It took me three or four tries to find a point where it will stand on it's own.  The paint job is awesome, but the legs sort of bum me out a bit.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Finally got a chance to open up my Kmart AT-ST and I'll confirm some of the reports on the legs.  My AT-ST's legs are wobbly as all get out.  It took me three or four tries to find a point where it will stand on it's own.  The paint job is awesome, but the legs sort of bum me out a bit.  :-\

The legs are definitely a softer/weaker plastic, which does kind of suck. I'm glad the legs aren't brittle so the joints shouldn't crack easily like with the last two releases, but it's considerably harder to balance the toy in a standing position.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2012, 05:38 PM »
So is the AT-ST the new battledroid?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36 PM »
Noticing everyone's thoughts on how well, or not well, the AT-ST stands...  Working on some possible fixes but coming up sort of short on it.  The weak joint above the ankle joint is a real pain in the ass.  Worst joint on it, unfortunately.

I've tried tightening that one, but it's done nothing really and you have to be careful not to strip the plastic at all.  I'm thinking of taking that joint apart and seeing why there is so much play right there...  Not much working to fix it though, in the early stages so far.

The weird thing is I bet a little bit of lead weighting in the bottoms of the feet, which are hollow, would probably balance it out a tad without adding weight where it can't take it.

Here's a funny thing about the two AT-ST designs that, if this one had the Hoth version's design with the tensioner on the lower leg part, the toy might not have the balance issues.  Good designing on the part of the the original AT-ST model-maker.  :D  He knew that was a weaker point I guess that sort of needed a spring to hold it tight.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Bummer to hear about the issues. I'm not planning to get an opener until month, so I guess I'll be able to join in the dissing then.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 03:24 PM »
I actually found these today at a ghetto K-Mart here locally. It was sort of interesting for about 2 seconds but not something I'd consider purchasing. No sign of the TCW Fox wave people are claiming is showing up there, although I did see possible remnants as they had a new Obi there.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 04:07 PM »
I'd love to get one of these as I've held off, but hearing about the issues with its legs (along with the Ewok poop coating the foot) and standing, I might have to pass. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 04:26 PM »
I'll be honest, mine stands ok...  It's not perfect, and not as good as the original WM one, but I wouldn't say it topples easily either.  I'm determined to see if there's a way to fix the inside of the lower leg joint though, to make it more tight.

Maybe I lucked out though, but mine is standing ok.

For the record if you don't have a KM, mine had 5 this week and I'd probably be able to help someone out getting one if they want it.  I got mine standing fine...  I prefer it standing a little taller as it didn't really rest the way Hasbro wants it to, and it definitely was a little taller when walking, but for now mine's standing just fine.  It tips forward easily if you give it a nudge, but it holds figures ok and stands ok so I'm happy.

I think any issue with the muddy feet is overblown, personally.  Watch the Ewok riding the foot beating on it.  The close-ups of feet, they seem pretty mucky and even have vegetation stuck to them.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Mine won't stand very well but I did come up with a crappy "fix" for it that seems to be working so far.  The pressure point for me seems to be one of the two "knees", basically the joint right after the leg joint where it connects to the assembly on the body.  (The highest, farthest-back one.)

I tried a few things and what worked was putting some tiny slivers of cardstock in between the plastic parts like an Oreo cookie.  The good news is that it stands, no problems, but the bad news is that it's basically only going to work as a display piece.  I'm sure someone who has expertise with the Krazy Glue/Clear Nail Polish joint fixes on action figures can come up with something more elegant, but for now this is working pretty well for me.   As it's my third AT-ST of this mold, and it's not like I futz with the others all that much, I think I can live with it but given the price it's more than a little irritating.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 04:04 AM »
I've been dragging my feet to type this up because I hate taking pictures mostly, but I fixed my AT-ST a little while ago after a little experimenting.  This, to me, was the best option.  It's solid, it's not cheap feeling, it's not going to permanently change your AT-ST at all, it also is virtually invisible, and it won't damage the walker either.

I'm big on NOT altering a toy in my collection permanently without having a 2nd unaltered one.  I wasn't buying a 2nd AT-ST just so I could make one stand by damaging it through glue or something, so I wanted a fix I could just pop off as easily as I put it together, and this was it.

All you really need is a (small) phillips screwdriver most people probably have and a couple 5/16 internal washers, and a little spike of metal (sewing needle or whatever, something thin, I used a scribe like a little dental pick).  The washers can be had at any hardware store, or I'd imagine Wal-Mart even.  I got mine out of just my random assortments of stuff like that I keep around.

K-Mart Vintage AT-ST Wobbly Ankle Joint Fix Tutorial!

Click, fix, enjoy.

If any of it is confusing drop me a note in here and I'll attempt clarifying it as soon as I'm on which is varying a lot these days, but this is honestly pretty straight forward stuff.

My walker looks like a beast standing now high above my Endor figures.  :)  Can't wait to add some figures to it too (which it now actually can hold them without collapsing).

I only had one joint I'm having a big issue with, just as a note.  Everyone seemed to have a problem with the one joint, not the others, though overall I'd say this walker is generally less stable than the previous versions.  Mine's a LOT better after this fix, but I wouldn't say it's perfect.  My Attack On Hoth and Wal-Mart AT-ST's are all a little tipsy though if bumped hard enough, and so is my Endor Vintage AT-ST now, but it's as sturdy as my Attack on Hoth one I'd say, if not more so.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:06 AM by Jesse James »

Offline jtrooper

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2012, 09:07 AM »
I put concrete in the foot and made it stable. it needed weight on the bottom of the feet to keep it standing the joints are fine. my boys have 2 and they move them like they should.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Strap dead Ewoks to the feet for extra weight.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Thanks for the guide Jesse! I'll definitely try it out before I display that mini-behemoth.