Author Topic: SDCC 2012  (Read 42499 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2012
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 10:17 AM »
I think it could really be an interesting presentation(s) at Comic Con this year.  With the rumors of the end of the Marvel Universe line, as well as hints to another Hasbro line seeing similar fate, there could lots of questions for the Hasbro people at SDCC this year.  Hopefully, we'll get some answers.  I do think we're going to see a scaling down/back of the line in some capacity, whether it is fewer individual lines (maybe one overall line), scaling back on articulation/new characters/etc., or a combination of both.  Action figure lines in general are in a strange place now, with kids caring less and collectors getting frustrated with price and distribution.  I'm really interested to see what the future holds for the SW line.  I think it is all but certain that TVC is done at the end of the year (or on hiatus at least), and the future of CW seems murky at best after the treatment it has gotten this year.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Proof that Build A Droid is coming back, go to Starwars.com and play the fun Jawa Junkyard: Droids game.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 06:17 PM »
While I know that there is lots of talk that Vintage is going on hiatus in 2013, but what about the possibility of it continuing in the same fashion that it was introduced?

Instead of a running assortment throughout the year, they only release a dedicated wave of figures for the movie that is being released in 3D. So in 2013, we'll get one wave of Vintage figures and it will be figures all from Attack of the Clones; then in 2014, we'll get one wave of Vintage figures and it will be figures from Revenge of the Sith; etc...

So it's not continuing but it's not being killed outright either.

I wouldn't be surprised to see these waves to be a exclusive to a specific store either - like Toys R Us who has picked up quite a bit of end-of-year Vintage exclusives this year and has had a wave exclusive to them in the past...

Just a thought....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 07:12 PM »
Instead of a running assortment throughout the year, they only release a dedicated wave of figures for the movie that is being released in 3D. So in 2013, we'll get one wave of Vintage figures and it will be figures all from Attack of the Clones; then in 2014, we'll get one wave of Vintage figures and it will be figures from Revenge of the Sith; etc...

So essentially what happened this year for TPM, only intentional.  :P

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 07:52 PM »
So essentially what happened this year for TPM, only intentional.  :P

Yeah - exactly! :D
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 12:28 AM »
Kind of interested to see if they will show anymore of the vintage 3 packs.  At least I may have a shot in hell at finding them in the stores...maybe.  If TPM figures ever get off the pegs by Christmas.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Have we posted this in here yet?  Details on the brave souls who are willing to show up to the SDCC Presentation...  on Friday the 13th.  :P

Friday, July 13th , 11:00am-12:00pm
Hasbro: Star Wars—Hasbro's Derryl DePriest (VP, global brand marketing), Jeff Labovitz (director, global brand marketing), Michelino Paolino (senior director, product design), Brian Merten (senior manager, product design), Adam Pagano (senior art director), and Erik Arana (Star Wars product designer) discuss the popular Hasbro Star Wars line. Attendees will also get a sneak peek at upcoming, never before seen items. The panelists will also host some Q&A for your burning Star Wars action figure questions. Room 7AB
Tags:  Action Figures - Toys - Collectibles | Animation | Fandom | Kids | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:24 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 08:13 AM »
1 of 3 things will happen I predict:

1) hasbro will have "plants" in the audience who will lob them easy softball questions

2) at the last minute they will announce they are not taking questions at all

3) for some bizarre inexplicable reason, none of the people who show up and stand in line to get into this thing will have had any problems getting new figures this year, so the torches and pitchforks never come out.

We need a Denis Leary/Lewis Black type of SW fan who will stand up and speak with righteous anger, but intelligently. I really hope this is the year.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 09:30 AM »
Just locked down a room, so I should be there, and I always hit that panel.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 09:18 PM »
1 of 3 things will happen I predict:

1) hasbro will have "plants" in the audience who will lob them easy softball questions

2) at the last minute they will announce they are not taking questions at all

3) for some bizarre inexplicable reason, none of the people who show up and stand in line to get into this thing will have had any problems getting new figures this year, so the torches and pitchforks never come out.

We need a Denis Leary/Lewis Black type of SW fan who will stand up and speak with righteous anger, but intelligently. I really hope this is the year.

Or the presentation will run extra long and there wont be any time for questions.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 09:36 PM »
1. No questions about distribution.
2. No questions about future releases.
3. No questions about retail prices.
4. No questions about the Live Action TV Series (even though we have nothing to do with whether it happens or not)

"So, any questions?"

*Many hands raised*

"Ones that aren't just insults directed at us or Hasbro?"

*One hand remains raised*

"You sir?"

"Yeah, could you take us through the process of how a figure goes from design to final product?"

"We'd be delighted..."(answer takes up 45 minutes of the alloted time.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:37 PM by scockery »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 2, 2012, 09:27 PM »
I'd like to know if Hasbro is going to still rerelease some of those WM exclusive TPM figures on Vintage cards since all that is warming the Vintage pegs are those dreaded TPM figures.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: July 2, 2012, 11:05 PM »
I have a feeling that, if at all possible, Hasbro has axed those on vinty cards...  Even the droid was easy to get by the end of it.  Just my opinion but I think those are off the table.  I mean, a WHOLE EXCLUSIVE WAVE basically pegwarmed...  And they're all 100% outstanding figures in that exclusive wave.  I think that screams a LOT about the current state of the hobby in general.

I think similar Hasbro intervention's been taken on Wave 2 & 3.  Anything TPM's maybe poison to them at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 3, 2012, 10:38 AM »
I mean, a WHOLE EXCLUSIVE WAVE basically pegwarmed...  And they're all 100% outstanding figures in that exclusive wave.  I think that screams a LOT about the current state of the hobby in general.

That is something I have noticed as well this year.  Not only did an exclusive wave (with several new figures, no less) pegwarm in many (most?) areas...but I've also noticed how many brand new waves are left in stock online weeks after they debut.  Granted, they are higher priced (like Amazon's $13 price), but even so....years ago that wouldn't have happened.  An exclusives wave of figures would nearly never be found, and if something new showed up online (particularly at a reputable place like Amazon) it would be gone within minutes.  It just seems like the line has lost a lot of "heat" in that way.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 3, 2012, 11:01 AM »
On Monday's Attack of the Show on G4 they covered some of the Hasbro exclusives at SDCC - the Super Hellicarrier, the Cobra/Transformers HISS Tank and the Carbon Freeze Chamber set.

Now, I am assuming that the copy that Candace Bailey read came from Hasbro marketing, but I suppose it could have always come from some production assistant's imagination - but for the Hellicarrier and the Carbon Freeze Chamber sets she specifically called attention to the fact that they would be available online.

With the Hellicarrier that makes sense - the thing is huge and its size will definitely be a deterrent to someone who flew into San Diego for SDCC. With the Star Wars set, fingers crossed that they upped the numbers on the piece and the problems of the Revenge set from 2011 won't be repeated.

Peter