Author Topic: NHL Offseason 2012  (Read 21669 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL Offseason
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2012, 10:51 PM »
I'm just going nuts.  Honestly, I saw a pick up hockey game on a tennis court and almost stopped and set up a folding chair.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2012, 12:19 AM »
If the season goes, Phoenix will most likely fold or relocate.  If it relocates, the players are ok, but ya think Shane Doan is going to want to go to Quebec City? 

I agree with you.. mostly. 

When you add in the lockout plus the "**** You Coyotes trying to take our public money" attitude of the new mayor in Glendale, I really don't see a way for them to stay.  Without the sweetheart arena deal, it makes no sense...

I disagree with you on Doan having to learn French though.  Everyone knows that America-loving Bettman will send the Coyotes north to Seattle and then make Hamilton/Toronto2 and Le Quebecors pay through the nose for their expansion teams.  Screw you again, Canada! ;)

I'm just going nuts.  Honestly, I saw a pick up hockey game on a tennis court and almost stopped and set up a folding chair.

I miss the Wild, but with all this college hockey around me, I'm not too starved.  Plus, the Wild are dragging the Houston Aeros up here for a game this weekend.  They gave out comp tickets to all the season ticket holders (to fill the building and make money off our popcorn, beer sales), so I'll be checking that out this weekend.  Will be nice to see some of the up-and-coming kids, though Granlund and Brodin are hurt and will likely miss the game. :(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2012, 05:27 PM »
Bah, enough ranting.  Anyone figure the players are clever enough to understand this: Lock out clock.  Whatever Fehr put in the kool-aid is pretty potent

I've only been checking in on this thread once in a while since I'm not a serious NHL fan.  But when I saw Donald Fehr's name mentioned, I had to do a double take.  I had no idea that this guy had become the head of the NHLPA.  I knew him from his role with the MLBPA and the last round of collective bargaining talks between baseball's owners and the player's association.

Fehr definitely plays hardball with the owners.  He did that in the MLB talks.  And that's no doubt why the NHLPA sought out his services.  But I can't help but think that his style of negotiations may not work with the NHL owners.  No offense to hockey fans or players, but baseball has a significantly larger audience in the U.S. than hockey.  And with that larger audience and popularity comes more leverage.  But for the NHL, I think Brent hit the nail on the head with how the owners regard their teams.  The NHL may have over-expanded the number of franchises, and contraction is looking like a real possibility.  Or at least retreat to safer northern / Canadian markets like Quebec.  Fehr's negotiating style could elicit a response from the owners that may not be to the ultimate benefit of the players.  He needs to get them playing & working again.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 6, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Depressing. I never thought I might see a new Star Wars movie before my next NHL game.

God I hate Donald Fehr.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 7, 2012, 12:24 AM »
Boom. 

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip822014#clip822014

Never seen Bettman so pissed off.  I'm thinking the NHLPA may have made a very serious error in judgement.  Even the owner of the Jets is pissed off. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2012, 05:10 PM »
There's a college tourny coming to town I may go to.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 6, 2013, 12:39 PM »
Welcome back.  Anyone wanting to join the JD fantasy hockey group is welcome.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 6, 2013, 12:56 PM »
About ******* time, a shortened season is better than no season.  Bettman and Fehr are still ********, though.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 6, 2013, 01:21 PM »
About ******* time, a shortened season is better than no season.  Bettman and Fehr are still ********, though.

Yup.  This has done nothing for my love of the game, to say the least.  Ultimately though any restrictions on spending on teams will help the Jets down the road.  We ARE the definition of a small market team.  Economics locally are good right now, may not always be the case so this is beneficial to us. 

I will say though that my dislike of players has grown immensely over the last months.  It's stunning to read on places like yahoo in the comments how many people were still in favor of the players.  They're both idiots, players and owners and did themselves no favors at all. 

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 6, 2013, 05:18 PM »

As far as the players, I can't agree more. Fans have seemingly become more and more of a nuisance to them in the last decade. Maybe social media is to blame, and we have too much access, but whatever it is instead of shaking hands and talking to kids, more and more of the players seem to want to be protected from the masses instead of embracing them. That is what always made me prefer hockey to baseball and football, and now sadly that my be slipping away. Hopefully they make a genuine effort to reach out to fans, but we will have to see how everything plays out.

I also have a problem with how Bettman has been cast through all of this. He has helped expand the game, (as evidenced by players from 13 states including Florida and California on the Gold Medal US Junior Team). The league has never been more profitable. Other than fans in Atlanta, Hartford, and Quebec City home teams are still home teams. Some people will never be happy until every team has been removed from the league and only the original six remain, but for the rest of us there is a lot to root for.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: January 7, 2013, 10:57 PM »
I'm giddy.  All the talk about line choices are making me giddy.

The rumors about trying for Sarge in some capacity are kinda fun too...  I don't believe them but imagine an insane scoring blue line between him and Letang.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 8, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Dallas got some dude named Jagr.  Hope he is decent...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 8, 2013, 09:10 PM »
There are some folks suggesting Jagr will challenge for the scoring title. 

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 8, 2013, 09:50 PM »
There are some folks suggesting Jagr will challenge for the scoring title.

....In my over 40 beer league :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: January 8, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Jagr played well with Giroux but I'm not so sure he'll acheive anything similar with Dallas.

As far as him being "decent" are you talking about him personally or as a player.  Player sure, person, certainly a matter of debate.  :-*

He won the first Pens playoff game I ever went to see though, in OT.  Game 1 of the 92 Bruins series.  Never experienced anything like that before, so as a kid that always had an impression on me.  One of my favorite memories of any game I ever went to.  Met him sitting in traffic afterwards just below the Igloo.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2013, 10:04 PM by Jesse James »