Author Topic: NHL Offseason 2012  (Read 21678 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NHL Offseason
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 11:46 PM »
Yeah, the players were definitely hoping to drag it out.  Playing under the old deal is probably better than what they'll get under the new deal and it makes them look like they want to keep going for the fans...  definitely only putting off the inevitable.

And you're probably right about the vast majority of the USA.  They will be busy watching football or baseball post-season, so I doubt most of them miss the NHL in October.  Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely miss the NHL in October (what else am I going to do, watch the Vikings? ), but I'd rather burn October/November than April/May/June.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 10:14 AM »
You guys are dead on. Fehr was hoping to use the loss of playoff revenue as leverage against the owners. It is the right call to force the negotiations to happen in September and October. I am normally a pro-labor guy, but when the "workers" are making more in a season than I do in my lifetime my sympathies are removed. I am a season ticket holder, (even though I live in the sun belt) and every game I miss is going squarely on the shoulders of Fehr. I used to love baseball, as much as I love hockey and could tell you the batting average of every player in the National League. After Fehr's work I now watch a handful of games a year. That same thing will happen to fans in the us to hockey, and without the Walmart of sports television, ESPN, promoting the game I worry about the future.
     I will be shocked if the Coyotes do not end up in Quebec City by next season, and although they more than deserve to have a team back I think it is a shame that some markets fan bases are being judged in 10 years what other markets have had 100 to build.
      Part of the negotiations may involve expansion north of the border. As much as I don't want the talent pool diluted any more, I can see the promise of more jobs for the players, and expansion fees for the owners is something that would be advantageous for both sides.
      In any case this all seems like a needless waste, and in the end just hurts fans and the employees of the areas that will be unnecessarily out of work. The NHL and NHLPA need to just  #GETITDONE.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 01:36 AM »
 :'(

>:(

but we did sign Kane at the last minute.   :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Instead of a mini Stanley Cup like last work stoppage, I hope this years "thank you" to the fans is lining up all the owners and player reps and letting everyone kick them square in the nuts.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Such a pointless lockout too.  Regardless of who, if either, of the sides you side with (neither) the players will lose.  It's really that simple.  They will start losing money very shortly that they will never recoup.  Principles are irrelevant. 

Oh, dear players, twitter is not your friend.  Flashing your ignorance publicly about your woes at not making 2 million a season any more and only making 1.5 million really isn't relevant to any of the fans.  Yes, I'm sure it sucks that you'll actually require parts of two seasons to make as much money as the average worker takes 40 years to make.   ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 09:32 PM »
BS
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Que?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 02:12 AM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 04:25 AM »
Que?

bull****...  as in this is all bull**** and I'm raging (just in my head) about it.  :-\

No season, players going overseas to play...  stuff's just sucking.  I've been sticking my head in the sand on the whole thing for the most part.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 05:46 AM »
Honestly, I'm surprised that anyone's surprised by this.  It's status quo now that whenever the CBA (or equivalent thereof) expires in any of the four major sports, it's strike/lock-out time.  I mean, seriously, when's the last time one of the "Big 4" sports seemlessly negotiated through one of these things without any disruption?  NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL...  I can't recall the last time it happened.

Greed, money, and ego.  It's the (North?) American way!  8)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:48 AM by Spirit Of Mace »
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 08:15 AM »
It's the (North?) American way!  8)

Well, not all the players are North American... so greed is a global thing.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Yeah, that's a fairly universal thing in my experience...  Look at the Aliens in Independance Day and War of the Worlds...  Very greedy.  Jabba anyone?  It spans the galaxy.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Sebulba does whatever it takes to win, too.  And don't forget Greedo.   His name says it all.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Greedo...  ugh...  guy's mother was psychic!  or doomed him.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2012, 11:08 PM »
So much potential on Tuesday...  only to be flushed away today.  :(

Instead of taking the NHL's latest 50/50 offer and actually negotiating, the players went ahead and tossed out three new meaningless proposals knowing full well that including an average of 54.5% HRR was ridiculous in the eyes of the NHL.  Nice work guys.   ::)

I think the last bit of my optimism is slipping away...   :-\

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender