Author Topic: spray paint question  (Read 4232 times)

Offline RyanMan12

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
spray paint question
« on: September 26, 2014, 01:08 PM »
How can I  keep krylon  paint from smudging on a 3.75 inch blaster  I painted?  Do I need to sand the blaster? Or let the paint dry longer than  24 hours?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: spray paint question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:51 PM »
I've never painted a blaster with spraypaint to say one way or another but it's possible the paint reacted poorly with the plastic.  Not all paints react well with all plastics, so you may want to consider that.

Also, weather conditions determine drying times on any paint but especially spraypaints like that.  I'd look into these factors a bit more maybe.  Without knowing the conditions, the plastic type, how the paint reacts, it's tough to tell...  It's good to test it on a plastic like you're working on first to see what happens for sure.

In humid conditions though it can take quite a long time to dry too, even if everything else is ideal.  Humidity can really make paint do funky things.

Most paints don't cure for at least 24 hours though.  Sanding might help but at that small a scale you'd want to be cautious.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline RyanMan12

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2014, 01:49 PM »
I've never painted a blaster with spraypaint to say one way or another but it's possible the paint reacted poorly with the plastic.  Not all paints react well with all plastics, so you may want to consider that.

Also, weather conditions determine drying times on any paint but especially spraypaints like that.  I'd look into these factors a bit more maybe.  Without knowing the conditions, the plastic type, how the paint reacts, it's tough to tell...  It's good to test it on a plastic like you're working on first to see what happens for sure.

In humid conditions though it can take quite a long time to dry too, even if everything else is ideal.  Humidity can really make paint do funky things.

Most paints don't cure for at least 24 hours though.  Sanding might help but at that small a scale you'd want to be cautious.

I was  wondering if I boiled the blaster to heat then spray it, do you think the paint would bleed into the blaster,?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 6, 2014, 03:16 PM »
"Bleed into" it?  not sure what you mean there but I don't see why heating it would help at all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline RyanMan12

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 8, 2014, 01:07 PM »
"Bleed into" it?  not sure what you mean there but I don't see why heating it would help at all.
hopefully with heat the paint woul go into the plastic instead of sitting on the top

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Paint doesn't really work that way...  The paint's adhesion to plastics varies based on the type of paint and things, but it doesn't really improve with heat.  Curing times can improve so long as there's no humidity.

Paints bond to different plastics in different ways as well.  Also different paints bond in different ways.  Enamels compared to acrylics, primers to regular paints, etc.