Author Topic: The Hobbit -LEGO  (Read 34331 times)

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit -LEGO
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 02:39 PM »
I cant find that mini gandalf set anywhere. I must be looking in the wrong places
Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 05:36 PM »
Kind of a neat video if you have the time to watch it, the building of a basically life size Hobbit house:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/12/21/life-size-lego-hobbit-house

Man, it looks like it would be cool to work for LEGO ;).

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 10:34 PM »
Jesse, I'vr got an elf set for you - I'll trade you for a Gandalf.   :)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Anyone know there was a Mirkwood elf bagged figure available at TRU just last month?  Anyone happen to have one?  I missed this somehow.  I almost missed the Gandalf out now actually, for me and the kids.  :(

Would love 3 of the Mirkwood elf but can't even find out if they're still available anywhere.  Only coming out last month, I figured they'd still be around.

I just got an email from TRU that says if you spend $20 on Lego (i am guessing this is valid Sun/Mon) you get this set free.  Perhaps your local store will have these in stock tomorrow?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 04:35 PM »
Greg picked up 3 elf sets for me but if I get another Gandalf set or two ill help u guys out.  Ill let u know darb.  I got last 3 gandalfs for kids n myself the other day but ill get back soon I hope, to look for a restock.  They were on the side racks of an endcap.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Checke my ap and both Gandalf and elf are available for store pickup.  I'm sad at the TRU set prices tho.  Even with a free fig the mirkwood and tree sets are cheaper at Walmart.  Ill order a couple extra elves I think and avoid buying a set even. :( I never realized TRU was that overpriced on Lego sets.  Yikes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 07:04 PM »
Today my mom was at TRU shopping for a last minute present for my son and she decided on Lego sets called me to ask which one and while she was in the store I was on amazon looking at the sets.  I couldn't believe how much more expensive TRU was on almost all of these.

Anyway, she had the TRU Groupon which was set to expire today so she bought from them there anyway and she went with the Dwarves in the tree set.  I told her to grab on of the elves in baggy too.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 03:11 AM »
I seriously think TRU ups the price on most items during the holidays from the usual high prices... I mean, ever noticed how Wal-Mart and Target are usually picked clean of LEGO around Christmas while TRU has tons of sets? I think it's their way of getting more out of the frantic parents who need to buy sets.

I keep mental notes on the prices of the Star Wars stuff solely for the purpose of comparing it to the MSRP and hopefully sharing a laugh/rolleyes here from time to time, and I've noticed stuff inching higher the last few weeks. Like the Palpatine's Arrest set, I think it has like an $80 MSRP, TRU has been selling it for $110, and the other day I noticed my store had it for $120. Insane.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 01:33 AM »
TRU is notorious for being up to $30 over WM and Target prices on Lego sets.  I was in there Sunday and they still had some Harry Potter Hogwarts (4867) sets which retailed for $49.99...TRU had them for $79.99.  Even when it's not the holiday season, TRU is still way over the odds on sets.

I think they do it because, like Diddly said, they can be the last stop for people that find stuff sold out at WM and Target, plus they carry a lot more inventory than either of the other two.  They have the mindset that since they're really the only toy retailer left, on a large scale, that they're a destination and people will pay more for the experience.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 05:55 PM »
I got a Hobbithole for Xmas.  Yay me.  Now I need to focus on lotr sets I need.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 09:03 PM »
Also got the Hobbithole set for Christmas, looking forward to putting that together.  Like Jesse mentioned, I'd really like to get some of the LOTR sets.  I'm debating whether to put some gift cards towards one of those sets or the Jabba's Palace one.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I'm aiming for Moria and Orc Forge soon I think.

Hobbithole took a little while to build but it's outstanding.  Great set.

I got the Orc/Tree set myself right before XMas because the WM Ap had it for $37, so I made them adjust to that price and they did.  Wish I'd gotten the Mirkwood set then too because it was $21-ish and a great set.

Hobbit/LOTR sets are DECIMATED at WM, KM, and Target.  These were big this year.  Bigger than Star Wars sets too, by far.  Lots of SW sets still around though they were hit hard as well.  Just still finding some of those whereas Hobbit/LOTR are gone.  I imagine TRU has a lot, of everything, as they should.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 3, 2013, 12:51 PM »
I was just mentioning this in the LOTR LEGO thread, but these sets are pretty ransacked around here as well.  The LOTR ones in particular seem to be mostly gone for the moment, and there are a couple that I'd like to pick up if I can.  I don't know if these will be disappearing soon (replaced by Hobbit stuff), or not.  Anyways, I got the Unexpected Party set for Christmas and then had a gift card that I used to pick up the Mirwood one as well (and also had the Riddles set from earlier on).  It has been a blast building these with our daughter, who is way into LEGOs these days (and Middle Earth stuff, despite not really seeing the movies aside from the "good guy" parts of LOTR).  Our kitchen table right now is covered with hobbits, dwarves, elves, Gandalf, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as well as various Star Wars minifigs.  Oh, and one Harry Potter.  Despite getting into LEGO stuff slowly, it really has been a downhill slide and I could see getting quite obsessed with these :).  Now I just have to figure out where they go once they're built.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: January 3, 2013, 01:52 PM »
I'd say LOTR sets are Oin the way out (see what I did there?) for The Hobbit, till new LOTR sets ship (huzzah!) later this year.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 4, 2013, 01:28 PM »
I'm aiming for Moria and Orc Forge soon I think.

I highly recommend the Orc Forge set. It was one of the most fun sets to build and has great display and play qualities. You'll probably want to get it from Lego's site as it's a Target exclusive otherwise and I haven't seen one in Targets since well before the holidays.  Moria isn't bad, but it is WAY overpriced. Most of that is probably due to the Cave Troll being a new piece but it still is the least "value" of the LOTR sets IMO.

Also, TRU has, in general, gotten ridiculous with their prices, Lego or otherwise, in the last year or so. I won't buy Lego from TRU at all unless there is a sale of some sort and never buy their exclusives anywhere but Lego SAH, which is always actual retail and you get VIP points, semi-frequent free shipping and free polybags over a certain amount.