Author Topic: Ever been Shilled on e-bay? >:(  (Read 849 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Everyone is ignorant, but on different subjects.
    • View Profile
Re: Ever been Shilled on e-bay? >:(
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 12:48 AM »
I have found Ebay to be VERY hands off on this kind of thing.  They write up policies to say they don't tolerate this or that and that they will protect your purchase...that's all just to make you feel good about using them.  I have notified them about fraudulent practices before and they do just what you'd expect - "we will look into it" and then nothing changes.  Make no mistake, they are in the game to make money just like everyone else.   I don't think they are promoting behaviors that cheat buyers, but they clearly have a hands off approach to any kind of customer service or investigation into bad sellers. 
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. " -Jack Handey

Offline MattCBR

• Youngling
  • on FB as MattCBR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 03:00 AM »
+1, I've had two blatant instances of attempted fraud on me... one where a guy bought a motorcycle fairing from me and then attempted to return his original broken fairing and say the one I shipped him was broke... the second theif sold me a broken new Amplifier in the box that was guaranteed to work and attempted to back out of his own return policy and keep all my money.

Both lost their cases with paypal and I got my money... however; when I contacted e-bay to remove the false bad feedback off my profile they left and punish/ban the accounts of the clearly bad e-bayers... they said "they'd look into it"

Needless to say the bad feedback never got removed AND the two e-bayers never got banned (after multiple tries)... one did end up ending his account after getting swamped with bad feedback, and the other guy is still racking up bad feedback every five purchases or sells just about lol.

E-bay sucks, but at least paypal has good investigations and I've always had them find the truth, see through the B.S., and handle cases promptly and effectively.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Shilling is definately a real phenomenon though- I had an auction a year or so ago where 5 minutes before the end of an auction my bid was pushed up to the max, passed, then the high bidder "canceled" the last bid, making mine the winner. It looked a little fishy, as the other bidder had only 1 feedback, from that same seller. I went back in to the 2nd bidders history, and found they had retracted multiple winning bids, and I am sure they were for the same seller. Long story short, they get a second account set up and used it to run up bids. I refused to pay for the item, explaining to ebay by phone it was very clear they had a case of fraud. I never heard about it again.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 11:17 PM »
Shilling is definately a real phenomenon though- I had an auction a year or so ago where 5 minutes before the end of an auction my bid was pushed up to the max, passed, then the high bidder "canceled" the last bid, making mine the winner. It looked a little fishy, as the other bidder had only 1 feedback, from that same seller. I went back in to the 2nd bidders history, and found they had retracted multiple winning bids, and I am sure they were for the same seller. Long story short, they get a second account set up and used it to run up bids. I refused to pay for the item, explaining to ebay by phone it was very clear they had a case of fraud. I never heard about it again.

I had a similar experience with a Kube chase - can't remember which one.  I recall watching the bids pass my minimum, then was shocked to see the email confirming that I won.  I ended up buying it though because it was still a good price.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. " -Jack Handey

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 12:09 PM »
I had a similar experience with a Kube chase - can't remember which one.  I recall watching the bids pass my minimum, then was shocked to see the email confirming that I won.  I ended up buying it though because it was still a good price.

Yes, but just think:  you could have gotten it for an even better price.  Of course, it only matters to the buyer whether the price is right or not..

Offline solrac

• Jedi Initiate
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #20 on: August 7, 2012, 09:59 PM »
I think if it got out that eBay was involved there would be a class action law suit and they would be in some real problems.
He's no good to me open

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 07:47 AM »
I think if it got out that eBay was involved there would be a class action law suit and they would be in some real problems.

How would Ebay be "involved" though from an evidence standpoint.  They don't condone it and their interface prevents it to some extent.  If someone else is writing code to circumvent that, then they could be doing more to fight that, but it makes a third party liable - not Ebay.  I think they're just fine from a legal standpoint.  I would be much more afraid of possible reaction from the general public if news of this hit the mainstream media - that could seriously hurt their transactions even if it's an extremely rare occurrance.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I think ebay could be held liable to some degree even just for turning the other way when shilling is brought to their attention. They have policies against it, but a financial incentive (higher fees on higher selling prices) if it happens. I think they are probably monitored to some extent by FTC or other, agency that they are indeed enforcing their own policies. I would guess it happens from time to time on a small scale, they do something about it when it is brought to their attention with a suspension or what not, and they spend most of their efforts looking for the big fish that could really land them in hot water.