Community > Watto's Junk Yard

Superman - Man of Steel

<< < (20/23) > >>

Brian:
Went yesterday and I really enjoyed it as well.  I really enjoyed it pretty much from beginning to end, and hope that it springboards to a united DCU ala the Marvel movie world.  I have to admit during the big Metropolis battle scenes thinking "how cool would it be if Batman came flying in in the batwing and started firing on that thing too".  The fact that this could open the door to that type of thing eventually is exciting.  I can see the point about all the building smashing and stuff, it almost did get overdone at some point, but overall it was pretty cool.  You could definitely tell it was a bit of a reaction to Superman Returns where everyone was saying "HIT SOMETHING!!!", because there was plenty of it this time around.  Overall, I really liked the movie though - and the cast in general.  I think I enjoyed this more than Iron Man 3 even, and this from someone who is more of a Marvel guy overall.  Our daughter loved it too, although one of her first comments coming out of the theater was "I was hoping Supergirl would show up" :).  I do hope that this success opens the door to at least a Wonder Woman movie being made, because I know my daughter is just aching to see a female superhero movie - or at least appearances by Supergirl, Batgirl, WW, She Hulk, new Invisible Woman, etc.  Oh, and she wants a Teen Titans movie :).  Anyways, Man of Steel gets a thumbs up from me.

On the more spoilery side...

I read an interesting blog from Mark Waid (big comic writer and Supes fan, and author of Birthright which a lot of Man of Steel was pulled from), and he comments about all the collateral damage, in addition to the whole Zod thing at the end.  It is an interesting read here:

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/

I admit to thinking about that a little bit too, and I didn't read this blog entry until after I saw the movie.  I kept thinking about how Superman didn't even seem to be avoiding all the building smashing and how many people were probably dying in those buildings.  But, at the same time, I can see how this approach is a little more "realistic", since if something like this was actually happening - unfortunately, people were going to die.  Anyways, it is a good read either way.

JediJman:

--- Quote from: Jayson on June 17, 2013, 05:07 PM ---The author of that must not have seen Superman 2. In that film, Superman crushes a Zod's hand (who is now "mortal" at this point) and throws him against the wall and to his eventual death in the FoS - all while smiling and wisecracking. Zod and Co. in Superman 2 no longer posed an imminent threat. Did we think any less of Superman?
--- End quote ---

That's a great point, though to be fair the audience doesn't really "see" the death.  I never really thought of Zod and company as falling down a deep well to splatter on the frozen ice below - maybe the fortress cyrogenically freezes them or something?  I guess the difference for me is not knowing and not seeing it versus watching Supes snap someone's neck. 

I'd also absolutely agree with having to kill someone to save innocent lives.  I haven't seen it yet, but given the situation as I've read it the script put him in a position where he was justified in killing.  However, that's really in direct contrast to his boy scout nature depicted in decades of comics, TV, and movies.  It was clearly done for shock value, which is always going to make some people happy and some people not. 

Someone did mention that the reaction moments after killing Zod was light hearted, which does feel like a missed opportunity to show some remorse for the loss of life.  I think this is the kind of thing that directors forget these days - taking 60 seconds to show some human reaction and emotion.  One of my favorite scenes in Star Wars is when Luke is yearning to live his own life and sulks off to watch the horizon as the twin suns are setting.  No words, no crazy CGI - just that honest sense of heart ache that everyone in the audience can relate to.  It's too bad that scenes like that have lost their place in the big budget action world.

Jayson:

--- Quote from: JediJman on June 18, 2013, 10:22 AM ---Someone did mention that the reaction moments after killing Zod was light hearted, which does feel like a missed opportunity to show some remorse for the loss of life.  I think this is the kind of thing that directors forget these days - taking 60 seconds to show some human reaction and emotion.  One of my favorite scenes in Star Wars is when Luke is yearning to live his own life and sulks off to watch the horizon as the twin suns are setting.  No words, no crazy CGI - just that honest sense of heart ache that everyone in the audience can relate to.  It's too bad that scenes like that have lost their place in the big budget action world.

--- End quote ---

In the MoS, Superman is clearly distraught after he kills Zod... screaming "No" from his knees... then being physically consoled by Lois. They don't linger on it much but it is there.

Qui-Gon Jim:
I think that if they had shown Superman trying in vain to save lives while slowly but surely losing the fight to Zod's men, then his killing of Zod would have been more powerful.  When we see Superman happily fighting in the streets of his hometown destroying buildings, it doesn't show any part of his character that "cares" for humanity.  I kept waiting for Clark to lead the fight out of the town and into the fields, but stuff don't get blow'd up as good in a field, I guess.

If handled better, then Superman having to kill, and worse, kill his last "countryman" it could have led to some interesting stuff for the sequel.  With this, the fallout was barely dealt with.

Jayson:

--- Quote from: Qui-Gon Jim on June 18, 2013, 12:35 PM ---If handled better, then Superman having to kill, and worse, kill his last "countryman" it could have led to some interesting stuff for the sequel.  With this, the fallout was barely dealt with.

--- End quote ---

Or did he? ;) remember the capsules on the sentry ship? One crew member was dead inside the other capsule was open and empty.... Could there be another Kryptonian among us?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version