Community > JD Sports Forum!

NFL 2012-2013

<< < (21/22) > >>

McMetal:
Yeah, but it's hard to argue it didn't have an impact on the competitive nature of the game on the field. Flacco had 84 minutes between snaps, that's redonkulous. Guys tighten up, injuries can happen, it's not a good situation having a long delay like that, especially if you're the team with all the momentum coming off a huge 2nd half opening play like they were. I'm not crying conspiracy, I'm just saying it altered the results on the field, in my mind anyway, and something like that should never happen in a game of this magnitude.

I'm not so sure about the ad revenue lift either, a lot of people probably got sick of waiting and tuned out or switched to something else, plus it drove the last quarter out of the prime pre-10pm time slot. Not to mention all the families who were probably terrified that some kind of terrorist incident might be taking place. Ugh, just a real black eye for the NFL and the Superdome, IMO.

Jesse James:
First, haha at the picture...  That was pretty clutch.

But...

--- Quote from: McMetal on February  4, 2013, 11:08 PM ---Yeah, but it's hard to argue it didn't have an impact on the competitive nature of the game on the field. Flacco had 84 minutes between snaps, that's redonkulous. Guys tighten up, injuries can happen, it's not a good situation having a long delay like that, especially if you're the team with all the momentum coming off a huge 2nd half opening play like they were. I'm not crying conspiracy, I'm just saying it altered the results on the field, in my mind anyway, and something like that should never happen in a game of this magnitude.
--- End quote ---

Kapernik also went 84 minutes between snaps, as did every player, and the refs...  The only people getting a workout throughout the break were the analysts looking like they were playing hot potato with the mic throwing it to one another since not many of them could fill the time void well.

I'll give that the Ravens had a big play, but that meant the Niners had all that time to sit there and stew, and not get a kick to them wanting to get it back...  that argument works both ways.  Just as the argument that Flacco had to sit around works both ways that the other team did, and both coaching staffs did...  You'll never convince me that someone got an advantage out of that, that the other team couldn't have turned into their own advantage if they had the right mindset.

I think you'd have seen the same Niners team come out, either way, but you could easily BS the same argument that the blackout hurt the Niners if you wanted to...  Their emotions after that run-back would be high.  Leaders would've been firing their teammates up...  Now, that balloon's deflated too.

I really just think had the Ravens lost, all it would've been was an excuse-fest as to why they didn't, rather than accepting everyone dealt with the same conditions.  Like I said, power surges happen, they're beyond people's control...  I'm not able to rewire my house much less understand the lighting system of a domed stadium so I have no clue if it should've taken taht long or not to get back up and running, but it's no different than a storm coming up and stopping a game outdoors, and then the game continuing in a little while when the storm passes.

Same thing happened to the Steelers, in San Fran, and we lost, and **** happens.  :-\

EdSolo:
I have to say the blackout hurt the Ravens.  It isn't like it happened right after the halftime show.  It happened about three minutes into the second half.  The Ravens returned the opening quick off for a touchdown and had the 49'ers at 3rd and 13.  If the 49'ers don't convert, Ravens have a ton of momentum.  While they didn't convert after the delay, they sure had a lot of time to regroup, much more so than at halftime.  You can probably chalk that one up to the delay.  Converting a 3rd and long after a delay of that amount probably isn't easy.  At halftime, yes they would have made adjustments, but they got an extra halftime to readjust again after going down by another touchdown.  The Ravens were flat on their next series and then the 49'ers went on a roll.  Without the delay, I don't think the 49'ers would have made it a close game.

McMetal:
Well, Kaps didn't actually have 84 minutes between snaps because they had the ball both before and after the blackout, so Flacco did have the longer wait, in all fairness. But I understand it's sort of beside the point, ultimately. Once the game's back on, you gotta play.

Here's to a quiet and productive offseason for all!

EdSolo:
As long as RG3 is back at 100% by August, I will be happy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version