Author Topic: Vintage carded figures still missing from TVC  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Vintage carded figures still missing from TVC
« on: August 27, 2012, 07:25 PM »
Forgive me if I missed a thread/post on this somewhere (and for my lack of interest in doing the research myself), but does anyone have a list of the remaining carded updates still needed in the TVC collection to complete the entire vintage "92" figure run?  I'm not talking every vintage carded variant, just the debut cards for each respective figure.  I've completely lost track, and am interested in how close Hasbro is to finishing them all up, and whether it's plausible to do so during TVCs next run in a year or two.

Thanks!
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage carded figures still missing from TVC
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:04 PM »
Forgive me ... for my lack of interest in doing the research myself

OK, since you're a bunch of slowpokes, I piqued my own curiousity and did some (a lot) of research and was pretty surprised with my findings on this topic, with how far Hasbro still has to go.  So based on my initial requirement of wanting each figure on their debut card, as well as requiring the same photo as was on the original Kenner card, this is where I think we're at right now as far as what's still missing:

ANH
    • R2-D2
    • C-3PO (issued 2x on ESB card)
    • Chewbacca (issued on a ROTJ card)
    • Stormtrooper (issued on ESB & ROTJ cards)
    • Death Squad Commander
    • Jawa
    • *Walrusman (issued w/ completely different picture)
    • Hammerhead (rumored)
    • Snaggletooth
    • Power Droid (rumored)
    • Boba Fett (issued on ESB & ROTJ cards)

ESB
    • AT-AT Driver
    • Bespin Guard(s) - black & white
    • C-3PO w/ Removable Limbs
    • FX-7
    • Imperial Commander
    • TIE Fighter Pilot (issued on ROTJ card)
    • Lobot (rumored)
    • R2-D2 w/ Sensorscope (issued on ROTJ card)
    • Hoth Rebel Commander
    • *Hoth Rebel Soldier (issued w/ completely different picture)
    • 2-1B
    • Ugnaught

ROTJ
    • AT-ST Driver
    • Bib Fortuna
    • Chief Chirpa
    • 8D8
    • Emperor
    • *Emperor's Royal Guard (issued w/ completely different picture)
    • General Madine
    • Klaatu (Skiff Guard)
    • Lando (Skiff Guard)
    • Paploo
    • Leia Boushh
    • Rancor Keeper
    • Ree-Yees
    • Squid Head
    • Teebo

POTF
    • All of them except Lando General (issued on a ROTJ card)

So there's more than a handful of "does that qualify?" figures in there, including the three with totally different pix (very annoying), and the six that were issued under subsequent movie titles (just dumb).  There were also TWO different Bespin Luke and Leia cardbacks of which we've only gotten one each.  Then there's the question of whether General Lando qualifies on a ROTJ card, or does Hasbro need to do a POTF cardback instead (which will obviously be an issue with all the rest of the POTF figures).  Zuckuss and 4-LOM are mildly iffy with the name change and silver bordering of the C5 exclusive set.  Etc.  Etc.

Agree?  Disagree?  Care?  I just thought it'd be interesting to look into this since the remaining loose vintage figures discussion and corresponding debates are really dwindling down at this point.  Are there any loose collectors that have been collecting carded just for these vintage figures, or is this solely a discussion for the handful of remaining carded collectors?  Either way, it's obvious there's no way Hasbro is getting through the rest of this lengthy list solely during the next vintage run, that's for sure.  Oh well, as long as they tackle the remaining "loose" figures, I guess that's what's most important.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:04 AM »
    That's quite a list considering that they haven't been released on debut cards.  Wow!  Of course, would people be satisfied with card that said Tessek or Sim Aloo instead of Squidhead or Imperial Dignitary.  It's probably unlikely that they'll release Skiff Guard Lando again so soon.  I do wish we would have gotten that image of him from the original card, but that had nothing to do with the Sandstorm scene.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
    • Jedi Killer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:49 AM »
    So there's more than a handful of "does that qualify?" figures in there, including the three with totally different pix (very annoying), and the six that were issued under subsequent movie titles (just dumb).  There were also TWO different Bespin Luke and Leia cardbacks of which we've only gotten one each.  Then there's the question of whether General Lando qualifies on a ROTJ card, or does Hasbro need to do a POTF cardback instead (which will obviously be an issue with all the rest of the POTF figures).  Zuckuss and 4-LOM are mildly iffy with the name change and silver bordering of the C5 exclusive set.  Etc.  Etc.

Nicely done on putting that list together.

I'm in the camp where I am totally okay with them putting POTF carded figures on cardbacks that match the movie the character or character in that outfit appeared. Unless they bring back the collector coins, they really can't reproduce the POTF line packaging style, so with what they did with General Lando, putting him on a ROTJ cardback, was "good enough" for me.

I'm also okay with the image variances on things like Walrusman,  the Echo Base Hoth Rebel or the Emperor's Royal Guard - for a lot of these, the simple answer may be that they don't have the source image available in a high enough resolution to make the card from - it seems unlikely with how much stuff LFL accumulated to document the six movies, but it IS possible.

I agree with you though on the debut card movie logo issue - I wish they had dropped the movie-themed wave thing before they started the Vintage line because they could have easily had the second C-3PO be on a Star Wars cardback instead of an ESB one or just gone the extra step to make that C-3PO so you could take the legs off and then packed him with a cargo-net-backpack and made him the 2nd ESB version of C-3PO instead. Also for Chewie - the 2004 TVC figure had "bangs" which was a look sported by Chewie in ESD and ROTJ - they could easily take the Chewie from the Early Bird Kit and stick him on a Star Wars cardback to fill that void. That being said, I would much rather see them tackle figures that they haven't done or haven't updated yet. Like I would much rather see a new Ree Yees or Squid Head on a ROTJ Vintage cardback before I'd want to see the Stormtrooper put on a Star Wars logo'd cardback.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
    • Jedi Initiate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 5, 2012, 05:22 AM »
    Thanks Pete.  I almost wish I hadn't put the list together, since I thought we were a lot closer to finishing up the whole vintage carded line than we actually were.  Now I'm a little bummed and disappointed with my findings.  At least we're close to finishing up the loose ones though, which is more important in my book.

ANH
      • Boba Fett (issued on ESB & ROTJ cards)

Whoops, I forgot the mail-away rocket-Fett:

I'll give this one an asterisk too, since it's actually a vintage/Kenner figure on the card, and not an updated modern version.  It'll probably qualify for those non-pickier folk though, I suppose.[/list]