Author Topic: Celebration VI  (Read 27559 times)

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration VI
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Figures, there probably won't be anything new.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 01:37 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I would have thought we would have seen pictures up at some of the sites by now too. (IMHO, Facebook does not count because most people are blocked from seeing that at work, and anyway why would you want to drive traffic to their site, but not your own? but I digress...)

I guess if there are new reveals they would save them for the presentation.

Although it seems like they could at least put out the Republic Dropship and stuff like that which has already been confirmed but was conspicuously absent from SDCC.

Will keep checking back!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Believe me, they're a small blip there...  There's something Hasbro's doing next weekend that, for them anyway, is much larger so I think that MIGHT have something to do with the limited effort at C6, but I wouldn't count on a lot of anything wow'ing you out of this show, honestly.

I'm expecting a bit of a retread of SDCC, maybe a couple 2013 pics we didn't see yet (next wave maybe) and that's it.  Just a guess though, I dunno.

Jeff's there for us...  It's a busy show to try and "cover" too though.  You want to have fun and try and cover it.

If anything pops up we'll post it when we get it.

I'm leaning towards the Q&A's being about as interesting as this show gets though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01 PM »
So is someone going to ask about the "distribution problem" or is Hasbro going to get a free pass again?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 06:06 PM »
I would have thought we would have seen pictures up at some of the sites by now too. (IMHO, Facebook does not count because most people are blocked from seeing that at work, and anyway why would you want to drive traffic to their site, but not your own? but I digress...)

Well, we are all fans first and foremeost, so maybe we're all busy enjoying ourselves instead of wasting precious show time editing and posting dozens of photos. :P

Like a few others have said, there isn't really anything "NEW" at the Hasbro booth yet.  Most everything is just stuff announced at SDCC.  There were some hints that there will be some new stuff shown at the panel, so standard protocol for them.

So is someone going to ask about the "distribution problem" or is Hasbro going to get a free pass again?

If you guys really want me to waste some of my ten-minutes with Hasbro beating them over the head with the obvious elephant in the room, I can, but to me it's a waste.  Vintage is dead, headed for clearance and they are re-booting with Droid Factory.

If you really need to hear Hasbro state the obvious, then check out what they said when my pal Jayson at Yakface asked them today.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Wow - kudos to Jayson for getting a pretty good answer.

DDP admitting that stores like Big Lots, Tuesday Morning, Five Below, etc... are going to be the beneficiaries of these waves is very interesting.

My guess is that they waited until now because if at this point, you haven't ordered from one of the online retailers, you're not going to (so that revelation won't hurt sales at places like EE or BBTS); they know that the brick-and-mortar stores aren't ordering and/or getting anymore; and they must have signed some deals with those chains to start moving the product out of the warehouses.

I can see it now - "Hey guys, I found yet ANOTHER Shae Vizla at Five Below today, anyone need her?"

::)

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Doesn't explain why the stores with empty pegs refuse to stock any more of any waves. But that's the damned stores.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 10:13 PM »
Jayson - props to you for getting an answer to the distribution question.  It's definitely sad that a single wave clogged up the distribution system for an entire year. 

SSG has posted some galleries from the C6 floor.  I guess the upside to Sir Steve being one of the more anti-social guys in the collecting site press corps is that he gets his pics uploaded pretty fast! ;D
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 10:37 PM »
Does anyone actually know Steve?  I remember years and years ago when people were just positive that it was Sansweet in disguise.

Anyway, about the Vintage figures showing up in discount stores...I gotta say it, but Hasbro deserves to have a sucky financial year.  Their cases are terrible, and we all see that immediately, so I can't figure out why they can't.

The product they make is amazing, it really is.  (Did you see the Dark Knight figures?  Holy sh*t they are garbage.)  But Hasbro's inability to learn from previous mistakes is just so frustrating.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 11:11 PM »
I just know him from the inordinate ammount of time he would take photographing everything at a Hasbro display.  I've seen him at various events for years and years, and we even wound up on the same tour of Hasbro's sculpting shop in Rhode Island when they said screw Toy Fair, we're doing our own thing.

And +1 on the quality front.  If you compare even the middle of the road offerings from Hasbro in the Star Wars line, the quality is well above what we're seeing in action figure lines from some other companies for major movie toy lines.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 03:45 AM »
I'm not too surprised by the lack of anything new today from Hasbro, but I'm assuming they're holding at least a wave or two and a couple interesting nuggets on the line for their presentation tomorrow, ala SDCC (if not actual figures in the display case, then at least pix or a verbal list).  With them due to skip NYCC this year, I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't mention anything new at CVI and we're forced to wait all the way 'til next February's TF.

Wow - kudos to Jayson for getting a pretty good answer.

DDP admitting that stores like Big Lots, Tuesday Morning, Five Below, etc... are going to be the beneficiaries of these waves is very interesting.

Does that presumably include the usual suspects of TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Ross?  I hope so, since I don't have any of those other stores near me.  I could do without anymore figure dumps at Kohl's however, since they're far from a "bargain" there, and are usually quite a bit more than Target, WM, etc.

I just know him from the inordinate ammount of time he would take photographing everything at a Hasbro display.

Those of us who have been perusing the boards long enough likely remember him better for a particular incident involving a Toyfair Vader and "camera battery".

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:05 AM by SpIrIt Of MaCe »
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Once again, Hasbro could not find a Republic Dropship to put into their display case. I just have to laugh at this point. It's like they just don't want to acknowledge this thing exists.

See the release date on the Maul/Talzin BP is 10/1...seems about right.

Who is the light green tinged clone on display with the vintage/DF figures?

Any sites live tweeting or streaming the Hasbro presentation today?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 10:37 AM »
If you really need to hear Hasbro state the obvious, then check out what they said when my pal Jayson at Yakface asked them today.

I think the issue is that Hasbro hadn't given a straight answer until now.  I didn't necessarily see it as "beating a dead horse" as much as "putting the horse out of its misery" since nothing definitive had ever been stated as to where these figures were, when and where they were being released, and so forth.  This is the first time I'd ever heard someone from any site ask Hasbro straight up what the deal was and have Hasbro give them a straight response, unobscured by talk about "ifs" and "maybes."  Kudos to Jayson for doing that.

Anyway, sorry for the derail onto distribution issues (again), and back to actual convention discussion.  And Jeff, thanks for whatever information you can pass along on your trip, but remember that, first and foremost, you're there to enjoy yourself. :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 11:09 AM »
Not sure if this is where to post this, but the latest "CurtoBurns" podcast is an interview with Derryl DePriest, discussing all things SW.  Not necessarily any huge reveals, but an interesting listen if you have the time.  A few highlights:

Hasbro has the license through 2020 now

CW and MH news/info was held back for CVI, so we should see that this weekend

"About 20" was the number given for CW for 2013, similar make up as this year the way it sounded

New things being tried for Fall '13 and Spring '14 for collector interest

He also talked more in depth about the distribution this year, and took much of the blame for it.  It sounds like the banked on TPM being a bigger draw than it was, in combination with stores over-ordering on that first wave.  More details in the podcast, but it is a good listen.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 11:12 AM »

Who is the light green tinged clone on display with the vintage/DF figures?

Badly painted AOTC Clone Commander (Legacy wave 2) or a Clone Sergeant.