Author Topic: Why collect prequel figures if you don't like the Prequels?  (Read 11164 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: Why collect prequel figures if you don't like the Prequels?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 07:05 PM »
But I don't believe that the fact that someone has been here longer or their post count is higher excuses rudeness either.

Boo.   Disagree most vehemently. 

Where's my frickin' geritol?

We excuse your rudeness not because you've been at JD a long time, but because you are a right old fart.
 ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Well in that case, okay.   ;)

I have been here quite some time though.....
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline SoloSS

• Youngling
  • I don't know, so sue me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 04:40 PM »
I'm very new to this forum but am intrigued by this thread. While I tend to agree with Force Guy(?) because I don't particularly care for the prequel trilogy, I have no interest in collecting everything Star Wars, and i find abject consumerism a little repulsive even though im plenty guilty of it myself, I figure it's not my place to question the collecting habits of others.
Perhaps it would force Hasbro to step up their game if people didn't just buy whatever dreck they put out. But is there really any meaning to any form of collecting? Isn't it all just the accumulation of stuff no matter how selective you may be?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 05:14 PM »
But is there really any meaning to any form of collecting? Isn't it all just the accumulation of stuff no matter how selective you may be?

Great point.  People should just enjoy what they want to collect, and not blast other people for how they enjoy their hobbies.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 05:20 PM »
But is there really any meaning to any form of collecting? Isn't it all just the accumulation of stuff no matter how selective you may be?

Well, in theory, collecting should have some personal meaning, regardless of what you collect, otherwise it's mindless consumerism, but I see what you're saying.  The problem is that more often than not, I see many collectors go into automaton mode, buying anything & everything that comes out, and it shouldn't be that way.  Maybe that's why I like watching "Collection Intervention" on Sci-Fi so much.     

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 05:24 PM »
People should just enjoy what they want to collect, and not blast other people for how they enjoy their hobbies.

Is there really any "joy," financially or otherwise, in collecting, hunting, amassing, and hoarding each and every item with a particular logo stamped on it?   

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Not for me, but I don't collect that way.  If someone else does, I think that's for them to decide.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 07:27 PM »
I don't find joy in packaged collectibles...  others do...  it's subjective what brings you joy, ultimately.  I don't like whips and chains, but I have a feeling if I typed it into Google there'd be plenty of financially successful websites that would say others enjoy a little pain with their pleasure...

not to compare buying crappy toys to being beat with a Cat 'o Nine Tails.  :-X

For me, personally, I look at a toy and if I like it I buy it...  some come from source material so meh to me, that I don't buy them though.  Others...  eh, if the figure looks cool enough or good enough, I buy.

The MTT, by many opinions, is great, but for me it's not nearly $130 great, nor $100 great, nor $80 great.

For some guys ICMG was a tool and they still think it was all just some "gag" to get him made...  To those that know better though...  Joy seems like a tough thing to nail down the why's and how's someone gets it from something.  I hate TPM for the most part, especially these days, but I was kinda happy to add GOOD TPM figures to my collection this year.  *shrugs*
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 10:03 PM »
I hate TPM for the most part, especially these days, but I was kinda happy to add GOOD TPM figures to my collection this year.  *shrugs*

I pretty much hate TPM too, but I know that when TPM came out in 1999, I waited outside TRU for midnight madness trying to gobble up anything and everything with red & black, and this was before I even saw the movie!  I later realized how ridiculous that was.  And of course, as time goes by, our collecting habits mature and evolve and we gain a better sense of focus.  It's at that point where we realize we can pass on certain items and it's okay.  Some people never reach that point (or want to).

But hey, this year's vintage TPM assortment wasn't too shabby.  All of the figures were done well, IMO.  I know I picked up Darth Maul and Sidious.  The problem was with the way Hasbro shipped the same assortment over and over as if every collector was nuts about TPM, and they clearly weren't. 

On another note, I know I like to pick up the occasional Exploited Universe figure if it looks cool/unique, especially the Sith Lord figures.  However, I use my own discretion.  I think that's the key to collecting: being selective and exercising discretion, otherwise, our habits grow out of control and lack any sense or direction.  I know that if I had to stomach buying another Clone Trooper again and again for the sake of having a "complete" collection or a figure of Jar Jar, well, where's that cat 'o nine tails?     

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 01:26 AM »
For some people though, a collection that isn't complete is not worth having any collection at all...

Like I said, I don't get carded guys, but I don't blame them either.

I also don't get guys digging horribly underscaled ships that look like, well, toys...  I'm in the minority there, but yeah...  I just don't get it.  I like the hyper realistic figures, and I like hyper realistic (or best foot forward ala the new snowspeeder, AT-ST, Speederbike, etc.) over the stubby X-Wing, or a bigger-but-still-tiny Slave-I.

I waited in line too...  MM was kind of fun, so I have fond memories of it, but god I wish I had a refund on that Commtech Reader I bought.  Ignorance was bliss.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 08:55 AM »
Ah, the commtech reader...what a piece of ****.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Exploited Universe   

Tee-hee.  I'm going have to remember that one.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 01:47 PM »
Ah, the commtech reader...what a piece of ****.

I should probably type that up for you as a "forum guest review" on our front page...  you really can't expand on it much further than that, and it's a fair and accurate assessment.

Let me add that I actually got some enjoyment out of the Commtech Reader...  I just hate that I paid what I paid for something people would've given to me for free if I just waited.

I made up for MM 1999 at MM 2002, when I bought nothing but the WM Exclusive TIE Bombers.  Cleared the store out, and they're still outstanding ships to this day.  I bought not one other thing that night.  Saga 2002-2003/04-ish is still the most dismal time to collect IMO, regardless on what things cost.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:50 PM by Jesse James »

Offline SoloSS

• Youngling
  • I don't know, so sue me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 03:50 PM »

Well, in theory, collecting should have some personal meaning, regardless of what you collect, otherwise it's mindless consumerism, but I see what you're saying.  The problem is that more often than not, I see many collectors go into automaton mode, buying anything & everything that comes out, and it shouldn't be that way.  Maybe that's why I like watching "Collection Intervention" on Sci-Fi so much.     

I have caught myself buying things and asking later "why did I buy that?" I wish I would have saved my money for this other thing (Kubricks in my case) that I like more and that I have more of a connection to.

I think I may have seen something like Collection Intervention - this older couple had a specially built barn to house their Cabbage Patch collection. They built a merry go round for their dolls and had "playdates" with other collectors (as if their dolls were real children). It made me feel better about myself!  ;) I thought, "Well at least I'm not that crazy."

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 04:16 PM »
they should have just put the commtech readers in teh quessn starship chassis and in teh playsets and in the ATT.

I think there was a wrastling toy playset at teh time that did that with some success.

hmmm maybe I could customize that up someday, I have an extra reader..

oh well

I also sort of wished the chips themselves were actually IN the figures, or for small characters liek pod racers Anakin and possibly Padme, put them in an accesory.

But I bought so many battle droids from the original TPM line ( and glad I did every one since IMHO has been to soft and floppy and arent as tall or imposing) that to this day my grassy plains battle is all commtech stands. I think I bought 60 of them all told, lke ten of each variety, and I use the commtechs chips from the non battle droid character a sstands for the Gungan warrior side of the battle.

Prince would say thats how you party like its 1999