Author Topic: Star Wars Anime  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Star Wars Anime
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:18 AM »
I don't know if you guys have seen this. What if Star Wars on TV looked like this.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/holy-sith-fan-made-star-wars-anime-must-222348259.html
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Anime
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 12:42 PM »
That's really fantastic. I can't wait until it's done.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2012, 03:43 AM »
I'm not sure this is the right area for it since it's not on TV...  yet...  ;D

I watched the video a little while ago and it's outstanding work.  It's very heavily influenced by the TIE Fighter video game (the attention to detail on the cockpit instrumentations are really quite nice, and appreciated!  Loved the flight sim games and I like that someone would take the time to put their details into an obvious labor of love like this animation appears to be).

I liked some of his style too, like having the cut-away of the flight suits and helmets to show the TIE Pilots for the people that they actually are instead of the typical "faceless soldier of the Empire". 

I dug that he made the bomber pilot a woman as well...  Pretty slick.  If I had any critique it would just be the bridge commander's seemingly off colors on the uniform.  Would've preferred seeing simply navy grey or maybe Thrawn with Pelleon behind him....  unless he was raelly not wanting to touch on anything too specific from SW lore of course.

I would love to see him do something similar with X-Wing...  I always preferred the Rebels despite TIE Fighter being a superior gaming engine.  X-Wing is, was, and always will be one of the biggest reasons I got back into Star Wars in my teen years.  It easily roped me in.  I felt it had a more compelling character that you played as, as well.

If this animation, and the basic principle of following a TIE Squad (or Rebel squad) around on a weekly TV show, were to make it through LFL approval, I'd be 100% behind it.  It's OT, it's Star Warring, it's avoiding (mostly) main characters and instead developing third or fourth tier characters into something much more (with occasional interaction with the "mains")...  I'd love a show like that.  Plus the animation is really beautifully done...  I like TCW, but I really prefer this I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 1, 2012, 04:33 AM »
Oh yeah, this is really awesome and I'd be all over any expansion on this little snippet.  It surfaced on the X-Wing miniatures boards a little while ago as it naturally fit in there.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 02:15 AM »
Imagine the toys you could get to a line like this...  Army builders would all need new pants if there was suddenly an announcement of toys to match a series based on this animation snippit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

The toon is completed and given sound, though no voice acting which it really needs IMO.

The fun part though?  This was asked about via Q&A/focus group things by Lucasfilm...  Could anyone possibly have rated it negatively?  I think not!

Was going through, buttloads of aurabesh eastereggs...  Right down to the writing on controls on the fighter like on/off being marked, min/max, etc.  The Destroyer in the animation is the Violent (the lead one with the blonde officer in the brown uni).  I'm assuming that anyway, as that's the one the probot contacts about the Alliance Fleet.

This simple toon makes me want to even build custom stuff...  Like the droid.  I'm very tempted to make a light-up 3-eye R5.

The destroyer that lines up to the left is the "Exterminator".

The "briefing room" is actually the briefing room from TIE Fighter too, nice.  Also the datapad the briefing officer has, is the datapads that are in the game as well.

TIE Fighter Squadron Sigma is one of the squads.  All the other squads are Alpha, Gamma, etc.  Always greek designations, just as in the game.

The TIE's shield/hull sensor, to the left (ship silhouette with "rings" outward) is all unlit, just as it should be since a TIE isn't shielded.

The Interdictor Cruiser is the "Inhibitor"...  Also, fun note, the tactics in the toon are even logical ones like in the game...  The Alliance fighters are blatantly targeting the Interdictor Cruiser and little else, simply so the fleet they're protecting can hyper out.

The TIE Bomber is painfully slow and I loved that they showed that.

The primary target is the Frigate which is designated FRG (just as it should be), with the corvettes secondary targets (CRV designations).  The details on the tactical board kind of blow my mind, actually.  This guy sure as hell liked TIE Fighter/X-Wing as much as I did!

When the TIE is engaging the Rebel fighters, the brackets and aurabesh light up around all the ships red/green/blue indicating their status as Rebel, Imperial, or neutral...  Also it is the holographic heads up display system that X-Wing and TIE games introduced so that the dated graphics of the 70's made sense to a more modern system...  IE: basically your helmet's locked into your ship's computer and puts a HUD up for you to monitor sensors and ship targeting things, all of which aren't seen in the movies since they'd be distracting.  It was always a neat little "excuse" I enjoyed that made sense. :)

And the cherry on top, easily, is the alarm going off for the one TIE pilot, as he's being locked on by a Rebel trying to use his warheads on him.  I love it!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:34 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 07:50 AM »
That is absolutely fantastic!  And this video has been racking up the views in a really big way.  When I checked it out the video had nearly 1 million hits.  Since then I think they've topped 2 million views.  There's something in there for EVERYONE.  From the Probe Droid, to the Y-Wings making an attack run on a Star Destroyer, to the Interdictor class Star Destroyer, to the sound effects, this was an amazingly put together video.  Major props to the team that put this together...even if the Imperials did win this engagement.

A video like this one really leaves you wondering.  Was this just a fan project?  Or was this perhaps some sort of sizzle reel where the producers are trying to pitch this sort of project to Lucasfilm/Disney?  Despite the fact that it's a really impressive short animation film, it is still incomplete.  The dialogue tracks haven't been recorded yet.  Which makes me wondering what more we may see from this particular project.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 05:10 PM »
That's a really great video. I shared it with my 5-year old (who loves all the OT vehicles) and he really got into it. He's a bigger TIE fan than X-Wing, so he was pretty happy to see the Imperials win. And of all the TIEs his favorite is the Bomber, which he was really happy to see blow the "good guys" away. He was sad there were no voices, he wanted to know what everyone was saying.

I loved the "AT AT parking" fan wank. Also couldn't help grinning like a little kid when the Blockade Runner blew up and all its engines started tumbling. Good looking stuff!

The only negative I could chalk up was all the extreme zooms into somebody's eye. Probably a lot of fun to draw, but got old by the third time in such a short video.

I would love to see more like this, it really took me back to Star Wars in the 90's.