Author Topic: Pursuit of Cobra Wave 4 Review  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Pursuit of Cobra Wave 4 Review
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Just thought I'd share my mini-review of the newest G.I. Joe figures. I apologize for the crappy pics. Enjoy!

Destro:
Alright, so this is easily one of the better versions of Destro out there. Granted, the only others that I've handled were from the 25th Box set and the POC Mr. Freeze figure, so I don't have a lot of modern era Destro knowledge. But still, this is a version of the arms dealer that looks ready to protect his investments or ensure that his clients provide payment. The gatling gun mounts to his belt, he has a pistol with holster, and removable shin and shoulder armor. It's a bit of a bummer that the Aliens steady gun wasn't included, but that doesn't detract from the figure. Hopefully we'll see that accessory at some point down the road.

Briefcase of Cash:
Yeah yeah, this is really an accessory, but I thought it deserved its own separate paragraph. It's a briefcase full of cash. It's ******* awesome. If you're on the fence with Destro, at least buy it for the case of money. It's totally worh it.

Skydive:
Probably the wort figure in the wave, but don't think for a minute that this figure is bad. The harness limits movement, especially leg articulation, but how much movement do you need for a guy that jumps out of planes? With all of the gear, you can get a good "freefall" pose, so the restrictions don't bother me too much. Once the gear is removed, the figure doesn't look as naked as some other Joes. It could've used a second harness and a machine gun, but I'm not complaining. The figure is surprisingly balanced, despite the large amount of gear.

Shadow Tracker:
Here's the "Predator" figure to compliment the previously released "Billy" and "Jesse Ventura" figures. The figure features a full range of articulation, including the ball hinged wrists. Even though he can't hold all of his weapons, you can store a decent amount on him. There is a hole on the lower portion of his jacket, a hole on his left thigh, and a sheath sculpted on his jacket for the small knife. The figure includes a compound bow*, quiver w/ arrow*, machete*, two crazy looking knives, one straight knife/sword w/ peg, bola w/ peg, spear, and a net. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of all the accessories. Overall, it's a very cool figure and it's nice to get a new Cobra villain.

*weapons were also included with POC Spirit

Lowlight:
This is the figure that everyone appears to be waiting for, and I'd say it lives up to the hype. The accessories alone justify the purchase. The figure isn't bad either. Lowlight includes A LOT of stuff, but ALL OF IT can be stored. The rifle and scope can be packed into the duffle bag, and everything else can be packing into the backpack. The duffle can be plugged into the figure's back, and the backpack can plug into the duffle. Or the backpack can be plugged right into the figure. There is a lot to describe on the figure, but I'm feeling lazy right now. So, just get this figure and experience the awesomeness first hand. If you don't like it, I'm sure there will be plenty of people looking to buy them.

Some quick words of warning:

-The figure is hard to balance when the duffle and backpack are both plugged into the figure. Plus it looks goofy.

-The tiny bullet is very easy to lose. I'd recommend gluing it into the ammo box, or storing it in a ziploc baggie.

-The backpack included with my figure was fairly difficult to open. It's also an odd design, with the pack opening in the middle. The straps on the top portion and the pegs on the lower portion seem potentially fragile, so I would recommend some caution while opening and closing the backpack.

-The bipod for the rifle is meant to stay perpendicular to the rifle. I tried folding mine up, and it stretched out the clip on the rifle that holds it in place. So, don't make that same mistake.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Pursuit of Cobra Wave 4 Review
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:45 AM »
While I can't see the pics from work I was able to read through your review - and thanks for that!  can't wait to get home and see the pics!  thanks again

edit:  wow.  I wish Destro was a lot less red, and the Shadow Tracker a lot less yellow.  otherwise they look real nice
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:24 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:46 PM »
I got Skydive and Destro in the mail.  I really wanted to test Destro out.  I really like the figure a lot, but I dont really like how the minigun attaches to him.  I want him to be able to hold it at a side stance (that is what the shoulder armor is there for isn't it?) but the figure cant do it so well.  I moved some parts around on his rig to make it work a little better, but its not perfect.

Another thing I wanted to try was a quick head swap just t see.  

the Destro is pretty meh of course - not bad, but not great - it still works. The Viper head on this new Destro body rocks imo - and it is a perfect fit! not to mention the gray color is a pretty damn near perfect mtch between the head and the armor.

I am now going to get another one of these Destro figures - though I want to give him a steady gun. So I am going to have to get two of the upcoming IG soldiers.

Also, just something I noticed, this Destro head isn't very symmetrical in the fact that, on mine, one side has a bump where his ear should be, the other side does not.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:11 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Is anybody missing these still?  I got a case of them in the mail and have extras.

PM me.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:31 AM »
PM sent, Paul
Common sense isn't so common

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Is anybody missing these still?  I got a case of them in the mail and have extras.

PM me.

the whole case?
 I would be willing to trade for Shadow tracker and an alley Viper...