Author Topic: More "Vintage Special Action Figure Sets"?  (Read 6460 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: More "Vintage Special Action Figure Sets"?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 04:44 PM »
Greedo and Beedo
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 12:25 AM »
If we're talking about pairs of themed 2-packs?  I've got a couple of ideas:

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
ATTACK ON HOTH
-Imperial Snowtrooper & Imperial Snowtrooper Officer
-Hoth Rebel Trooper & Hoth Rebel Officer

CLOUD CITY
-Boba Fett & Han Solo in Carbonite
-2 x Cloud City Wing Guards

RETURN OF THE JEDI
EMPORER'S ARRIVAL
-Emporer Palpatine & Darth Vader
-2 x Royal Guards

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 12:16 AM »
I've been saying for years that Hasbro should ditch the Movie Heroes/Saga Legends format and turn it into a discounted 2-pack line. It would free up space on the pegs, they could give us the army builders we request and they can still do the lame Anakin/Obi-Wan/Vader repacks that nobody wants. Man, there's SO much potential here. Price it at $14.99 and watch the army builders fly off the shelves and the Anakins/Obi-Wans sit. But at least it will be a value.

Just off the top of my head here are some army building sets they could do:

TPM:
- Gungan Warrior and Naboo Soldier (Defenders of Naboo)
- Battle Droid and Destroyer Droid (Invaders of Naboo)

AOTC:
- Clone Trooper and Clone Trooper
- Red Battle Droid and Super Battle Droid
- Clone Officer and Clone Officer

ROTS:
- Battle Droid and Super Battle Droid
- Magnaguard and Magnaguard
- 501st Trooper and 501st Trooper
- Shocktrooper and Shocktrooper
- Utapau Trooper and Utapau Airborne Trooper
- Galactic Marine and Galactic Marine
- Plain Clone Trooper and Plain Clone Trooper
- Kashyyyk Trooper and Kashyyyk Trooper

ANH:
- Stormtrooper and Imperial Navy Commando (Death Star Defense)
- Sandtrooper and Tusken Raider (Perils of Tatooine)
- Han Stormtrooper and Luke Stormtrooper (Death Star Invaders)
- TIE Pilot and TIE Pilot (Darth Vader's Wingmen)

ESB:
- Snowtrooper and AT-AT Driver (Invaders of Hoth)
- Hoth Rebel Soldier and Hoth Deck Officer (Defenders of Hoth)
- Bespin Wing Guard and Ugnaught

ROTJ:
- Scout Trooper and Stormtrooper (Defenders of Endor)
- Endor Rebel Soldier and Endor Rebel Soldier (one based on the Saga 02 sculpt, the other based on the POTF2 sculpt)
- Royal Guard and Royal Guard
- Imperial Dignitaries

I'm sure there's TONS of potential sets I'm missing too, as I'm not even including main characters here! I'd even be down for some swaps, like including a Clone Trooper and a Battle Droid
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 05:32 PM »
Greedo and Beedo

Dude, they already made Greedo, it would be "Unnamed Rodian in Docking Bay 94" and Beedo.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 09:35 AM »
There were also a couple of them hanging out by the slot machine in Jabba's palace...take your pick.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 02:22 PM »
I've always liked the idea of 2 packs as well, particularly if you could hit that $14.99 pricepoint mentioned earlier.  Of course the army building packs would be of most interest to most of us, but I think it would be nice for casual buyers/new collectors/kiddos to have packs like VOTC Han and EB Chewie, Vader/Obi, Luke/Leia, 3PO/R2, Anakin/Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon/Maul, etc.  We've already got pretty much ultimate figures of all of these guys, so just repack them and keep the prices lower.  Toss in an "all new" pack every once in awhile for collectors, but even the army builders are well covered at this point.  Heck, just have this replace Movie Heroes and I don't know that people would mind too much.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 07:40 PM »
The idea I was running with there was A) Inexpensive to keep prices down, and B) Keeping things in the "Special Action Figure" packaging because it's Vinty and appealing (at least I feel it's appealing looking) and should be cheaper than most other types of packaging.

With that in mind I think hoping for new is kind of out there...  Or at least all new anyway.

I also think 2 of the same guy may limit desirability...  That's why I lean a little more towards a Fleet Trooper/Stormtrooper type set.  Have the background set up as the Tantive IV hallway.  :)

Or a TIE Pilot/X-Wing Pilot...  Have the background be space and their ships in the distance behind them or something.

Some sets I'd dig then, with that in mind:

-Fleet Trooper/Stormtrooper...  I like that idea, and I could use more of both.  While I'd like more RFT's especially, I like the idea of it being a set of two desirable figures.  Especially if it's a really good Stormtrooper...  The RFT has to have a new head though, and a belt with a working holster.

-Hoth Rebel/Echo Base Rebel...  Less of the "Versus" theme there, but again new heads and hats would be welcome.

-Snowtrooper/Snowtrooper Officer...  I like this as a method of getting out a Snowtrooper officer with minimal new tooling.

The other possibility is mixing the Snowtrooper Officer in with an Echo Base Rebel and mixing the Snowtrooper in with the Rebel Trooper to keep the "Versus" theme going.

-Biker Scout/Endor Rebel Trooper...  Make an Endor Trooper variation, however you want to go with it (softgoods vested one on the current figure's sculpt would be swell though), and the new Speederbike Scout...  I'm in for a lot of this set.

-Endor Trooper Variant 2/Endor Death Star Trooper (jumpsuited guys)...  The latter could simply be a variation of the AT-ST Driver sculpt with a new head/hat, or whatever.  The former could be perhaps a little extra new tooling than normal but still re-using legs/gear easily enough.

-Yavin Hangar Technician/Pilot...  Again, maybe slip a couple extra X or Y-Wing pilots from Yavin in, and get the Hangar Tech out too with those slick little light sticks perhaps?

-Cantina Monsters Set 1...  I'd like to see two done like this, as exclusives, which would be modern sculpts of the classic outfits.  First would be Greedo & Red Snaggletooth...  Modernized sculpts of the classic jumpsuits, boots, colors, etc. 

-Cantina Monsters Set 2...  Same as above but Hammerhead and Walrus Man.

If these were really creative, you buy both and you build a Blue Snaggletooth with parts included in both.  As an exclusive I'd pay a higher price for it.  I'd pay $20 a piece for these if done right, as an ultimate fan-wank.

-Jabba Goons #1...  Simple re-release of the Gammie Guard and a retool of Kithaba from this year to make a better version of the other Klaatooinian guard from POTF2...  Give him a removable girlie backpack, new paintjob...  I'd be into this bigtime.

-Jabba Goons #2...  Kitbash one of the unmade Weequay Guards.  Kitbash Yoxgit or perhaps a new head to make a new 8D8 using the BGJ38?

I'd be into other sets too, even with main characters, but the idea I think would have to stay somewhat the same, minimal new toolings and such, for the price to really stay where it is.  A single figure is $10, so $15 for 2 you really need to keep things realistic with this I feel.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77