Author Topic: Your DVD Collection  (Read 43218 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Your DVD Collection
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2004, 07:37 PM »
I do believe this is up to date.... AngryEwok's DVD Collection!

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2004, 10:13 PM »
that guzzlefish site looks nicer than the dvd profiler that i use, but the first like 10 titles i put into the database search came up with no matches. so i decided to add my own item.

man, that list of required elements is crazy!! i'll stick to dvd profiler where i can just add the name and purchase date of any dvd not in the database, otherwise i'll be there for like 2 years inputting all that stupid info  >:(

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2004, 10:56 PM »
that guzzlefish site looks nicer than the dvd profiler that i use, but the first like 10 titles i put into the database search came up with no matches. so i decided to add my own item.

man, that list of required elements is crazy!! i'll stick to dvd profiler where i can just add the name and purchase date of any dvd not in the database, otherwise i'll be there for like 2 years inputting all that stupid info  >:(

Did you try entering by UPC?  That's how I entered mine and it was much easier.  They had almost everything I own.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2004, 11:07 PM »
yeah i did. i have a lot of import japanese stuff, some of which may not be official releases, if you know what i mean  ;).

oh well, on dvd profiler i stay for now. not that i've updated in several months or anything...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2004, 11:26 PM »
Guzzlefish ain't perfect.  Not by a long shot.  There are probably a couple dozen things I have that still aren't on the site yet.  

Plus, there's still that thing where they only count a box set as one title, no matter how many individual titles it may contain.  

(Case in point:  Got a 15-disc Dylan CD set yesterday, added it in, and was so irritated that this nearly-$200 set only counted as one, that I went in and added them all in, individually.)

But the way I see it, none of the collection-catalog sites are perfect.  And I don't care enough to enter all the same crap in to two or three different sites, so Guzzlefish it is.  Plus, I love the stats.

I do hear you, though, Dave:  I had a few things I wanted to submit, too, but after looking at all of their silly requirements, I just said screw it.

Title?
UPC?
Year?
Mother's maiden name?
Social Security number?
First pet?
Favorite food?
Shoe size?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 11:28 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2004, 11:29 PM »
yeah, guzzlefish seems like the coolest one, like you said those stats are really cool. dvd profiler gives similar stats, but only offline, and for your own collection.

the part that really turns me off to the 'fish is the part about how much crap is mandatory to enter. i mean, is all the stuff really neccesary? yes, on dvd profiler you can add it if you want to, but it's not required. all that's required is the title.

and with the amount that i've added/am going to need to add going forward, that's the most i want to put in. although i am tempted to do the 'fish thing, it just... bothers me to put all that crap in there. they suck.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2004, 11:33 PM »
and some of the options are sooo stupid:

color:
color
black & white and color
black & white
colorized
b&w and tinted
technicolor
hand tinted
sepia

is that info really important?? i think not.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2004, 09:28 PM »
okay, with all this talk about dvd collections, i took a look at my profiler and realized that is was way out of date. so over the past two days, i spent a few hours:

a) printing out my inventory list (18 pages)
b) going through my collection and looking for discs that are missing or discs that i hadn't listed
c) going back to the inventory database and deleting out all the crap my ex-wife took when we split (about 200 - 250 discs)
d) inputing all the new discs that had been left out

and, my collection list is completely up to date. before i give the link, i want to point something out: i like bad movies. there. i said it. also, when you check the list, keep this in mind: i am the dvd buyer for a retail store, so a lot of the discs i get are screeners. even if it's a crappy, direct to video with a $5 budget shot on vhs-c in the basement of my grandmother's house on the weekend with some friends from work that i don't really know but were kind enough to be in my movie, i watch it (at least once. or at least, i try to watch it.) and enter into my database.

anyway, that list can be seen here.

now, another quick question for you guzzlefish users... do you know if there is a way i can export this database and import it into guzzlefish instead of loading all my dvd's in there one at a time?

edit: oops, forgot to mention, while going through the collection, i found a couple of dupes (?) and discs that i upgraded. if anyones interested, $5 each:

rumble in the bronx
reservoir dogs (first version)
ronin
first wives club
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 10:20 PM by jokabofe »

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2004, 10:56 PM »
Does anyone here have a hacked CueCat that they use to scan in all of their DVDs?

Furthermore, does anyone have any of the collecting software seen here:
http://www.collectorz.com/

I'm just way too damn lazy to manually type everything in, and I'm looking for a package that I can just use a hacked CueCat to scan everything (of course, I also need a hacked CueCat...)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2004, 11:01 PM »
this is gonna sound like a dumb question, but why would you need a hacked version of the cuecat to scan your dvd's? i remember wired magazine sent me one of those things before they hit the market, and i was supposed to beta test it. but i read all these bad things about where it sends the info you scan, so that you can be put onto all kinds of mailing lists and stuff, and decided not to participate. or does the hacking remove that tracking stuff?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2004, 11:05 PM »
after a little googling, it appears that's exactly what the hack does. hmmm, maybe it's time to find that stupid thing (yeah right) or just get another one. check out this page about neutering your :cat

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2004, 12:11 AM »
Guzzlefish ain't perfect.  Not by a long shot.  There are probably a couple dozen things I have that still aren't on the site yet.  

Plus, there's still that thing where they only count a box set as one title, no matter how many individual titles it may contain.  

Yep.  Those are my only two peeves.  The one my friend has is nice since it counts your dvd's and your titles as two separate things - but I'm sticking with Guzzlefish.  It deflates my collection though because including bootlegs and boxed sets I've got more like 345-350 whereas the site says I've got 329.

Whatever though - it is what it is...

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2005, 02:44 AM »
I had to resurrect this one from the dead. 4/9/03, I had 30 DVD's? That's just unreal..and to think, I had probably built up closer to 200 before selling down to 85 before moving to Minnesota in October of 2004. Well, things have changed, and I'm really happy with how my library is looking now.

Cine's Updated DVD Library

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2005, 05:27 AM »
Do you have Repo Man?
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2005, 02:09 PM »
I had to resurrect this one from the dead. 4/9/03, I had 30 DVD's? That's just unreal..and to think, I had probably built up closer to 200 before selling down to 85 before moving to Minnesota in October of 2004. Well, things have changed, and I'm really happy with how my library is looking now.

Cine's Updated DVD Library
Question for you Cory or anyone with a large DVD library...what % of what you own have you watched?

I sort of went on hiatus because I have still like 25% of the movies not even out of the wrappers yet :-[