Author Topic: Your DVD Collection  (Read 43386 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Your DVD Collection
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2003, 12:28 PM »
Oh dear, I'm going to reveal my list of highly questionable DVDs. I recommend this site if you want to keep an online database, it's very cool and free. Click through for mine:

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=jbrinkley

Yes, I own The Cat from Outer Space. Proud of it.

-J
OMG.  Holy crap Jared!  Am I reading that right, you have 765 DVD's?!?!?  Damn.  That's certainly a diverse collection there - do you basically buy anything and everything new that comes out?  Like a DVD completist?!   ;)  Do you run a DVD rental service as well, 'cause I might want to sign up!

As for The Cat from Outer Space...  well, I remember watching that when I was young, and have even caught a few clips of it on reruns over the year.  Fun movie, so I won't tease you... too much...   :P   :D

Awesome collection though.  Keep it up!

SilverZ

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2003, 04:58 PM »
OMG.  Holy crap Jared!  Am I reading that right, you have 765 DVD's?!?!?  Damn.  That's certainly a diverse collection there - do you basically buy anything and everything new that comes out?  Like a DVD completist?!   ;)  Do you run a DVD rental service as well, 'cause I might want to sign up!

As for The Cat from Outer Space...  well, I remember watching that when I was young, and have even caught a few clips of it on reruns over the year.  Fun movie, so I won't tease you... too much...   :P   :D

Awesome collection though.  Keep it up!

Thanks for the support for my addiction, Matt! Movies are my other big hobby other than SW toys and I used to blow way too much cash on any damn DVD that I thought might be good to see, it was really bad. I've slowed down a lot in the last year or two, but I've been buying them since '97, when I was a big DVD advocate (I was quoted in USA Today a long way back, the article is still out there somewhere on the web). You're welcome to come over sometime and check out the setup and see E2 on the 73" 16x9 set, or Pootie Tang, whichever you think is a better movie.  ;)

-J

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2003, 08:49 PM »
Thanks for the support for my addiction, Matt! Movies are my other big hobby other than SW toys and I used to blow way too much cash on any damn DVD that I thought might be good to see, it was really bad. I've slowed down a lot in the last year or two, but I've been buying them since '97, when I was a big DVD advocate (I was quoted in USA Today a long way back, the article is still out there somewhere on the web). You're welcome to come over sometime and check out the setup and see E2 on the 73" 16x9 set, or Pootie Tang, whichever you think is a better movie.  ;)

-J
Well now if you had asked if I'd prefer TPM or Pootie Tang, that might be a little tougher decision, but since it's AOTC instead, I'd probably give that the slight nod over Pootie Tang.  I might have to hit you up for some TV advice in the near future too, sounds like you've got a helluva setup there!

I'll have to look through your DVD list a little more to see what I might want to tease you about though...   ;D

BTW, where the heck did you get the West Side Story DVD?  I didn't think that was currently available.  Was it at one point a while back?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 08:51 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2003, 07:51 PM »
Here's a few questions for you DVD afficionados out there, especially Mr. 765 there!

1)  Does a Widescreen version of the movie Vacation exist (w/ Chevy Chase & Christie Brinkley)?  I've never seen one anywhere, and have temporarily settled for the "standard" full screen version, which I never buy.

2)  Have the Battlestar Galactica or Buck Rogers TV series been put onto DVD yet?  If not, any idea when this might be happening?

3)  Jared - Where'd you get your Westside Story DVD?  Is it still available at retail, or has it been discontinued for now?

I'm sure I could do a little research around the net on my own to get the answers, but I'm just too lazy...   :-\

Thanks for any help fellas!

SilverZ

Re:Your DVD Collection
« Reply #49 on: March 1, 2003, 02:46 AM »
Your answers, kind sir:

1) There's still no widescreen version of Vacation. The only widescreen movie in the series in the US is European Vacation and there's a widescreen Vegas Vacation available in Japan. What a crime. The standard version looks terrible, IMHO, since I think it's from an old analog master from ages ago. I haven't heard any news of them revisiting it, but it sure would be nice!

2) Battlestar is supposed to be this year, I'd have to check on when, but I seem to recall summer, or whenever that new miniseries is debuting. I don't think there's been word on Buck Rogers though.

3) Westside Story should be available, but it's a few years old now (looks nice though) and I poked around for it just now and it seems like it might have gone out of print. I've had mine for a couple of years now; I probably bought it online. There's a new SE coming out on 4/1, so save your cash for that one, it looks really special:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_listing.asp?productid=30380&format=DVD

Hope that helps! I'm working on doing a little OT (ahem) "test" tonight, btw. :)

-J

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 3, 2003, 09:20 PM »
Hey Scott or anyone else who have ordered from http://clik.to/movieshop how to you finish your order.  I'm trying to get the OT SE and TTT but ever time I try to check out it says I have no items in my cart so they cannot charge me but I have those two items in my cart.  Any help will be nice. Thanks

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #51 on: March 3, 2003, 10:20 PM »
Hey Tom -
Boy, that link took me straight into your shopping cart, which already had 3 of each of these items in it, along with a Back to the Future flick.  Obviously the next step would be to select "Shipping to" United States in the drop down box, and finally clicking the "Pay & Finish" button.

That then takes me to the final checkout page, and the items (which I edited to your original order) are still in the shopping cart for $45.98 total.  I'm afraid to click on the next step, not knowing if you already put in your credit card info or not.  But at this point you should be able to push either the "Secure Checkout" or "Standard Checkout" button, and continue on with the order.  Did you even get this far?  Like I said, I don't want to try further for fear of actually placing an order for you myself.

Hopefully this helps a little.  If not, you might want to try clearing out your cookies and starting all over, as there's no reason it shouldn't be working...  Good luck Tom, and give us another hollar to let us know how your order's progressing!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: March 4, 2003, 02:28 AM »
BTW, thanks for the answers there Mr. 765, excuse me, Mr. 811!  Glad to know I'm not going crazy and that there really isn't a Widescreen version of Vacation.  Looking forward to those old Sci-Fi TV classics and that S.E. of WSS!

I checked that site out that you dropped the link for, and started browsing through the cheap stuff to see if anything looked good, when I realized that there's about 10 bajillion titles for sale at that site, even just within the $6-10 range.  Holy cow.  A bit overwhelming!  Maybe when I find some more time, I'll surf through and pick up a few...

Thanks again for the DVD knowledge J!  I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions for our resident DVD guru soon!   ;)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 4, 2003, 10:10 AM »
Here's my updated list:

2 Days in the Valley
A Bronx Tale
A Bugs Life
Almost Famous
American Pie  
American Pie 2
Analyze This
Apocalypse Now
Austin Powers: IMOM
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Austin Powers in Goldmember
Back to the Future
Back to the Future II
Back to the Future III
Band of Brothers
Beauty and the Beast: Platinum Edition
Big Lebowski, The
Blade Runner - Directors Cut
Caddyshack
Cast Away
Chasing Amy
Citizen Kane
Clash of the Titans
Clerks
Clerks Uncensored
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Dazed and Confused
Die Hard
Die Hard 2: Die Harder
Die Hard with A Vengeance
Dinner with Friends
Dogma - Special Edition
E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial
Erin Brokovich
Fast and the Furious, The
Fools Rush In
Forrest Gump
From Dusk to Dawn
Full Metal Jacket
Funny Farm
Get Shorty
GI Joe: The Movie
Gigi
Gladiator
Glory
Godfather
Godfather II
Godfather III
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla's Revenge
Terror of Mechogodzilla
Rodan
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla vs. Destroyer /
Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah /
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Gone with the Wind
Goonies, The
Green Mile, The
Hannibal
Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone
Independence Day
Jackie Brown: Collectors Edition
Jackyl, The
Jaws
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Last of the Mohicans, The
Legally Blond
Leon: The Professional
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended)
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Theatrical)
Mallrats
Mask, The
Me, Myself and Irene
Men In Black
Monsters, Inc.
Much Ado About Nothing
Mummy, The - Ultimate Edition
Murphy's Romance
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Ocean's Eleven
Office Space
Patriot, The
Perfect Storm, The
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Platoon
Porky's
Princess Bride, The
Pulp Fiction: Collectors Edition
R2-D2: Beneath the Dome
Reservoir Dogs: Special Edition
Revenge of the Nerds I & 11
Road Trip
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Rocky - 25th Anniversary Edition
Saving Private Ryan
Scary Movie
Sex and the City - Season 1
Sex and the City - Season 2
Sex and the City - Season 3
Shrek
Silence of the Lambs, The
Simpsons Complete 1st Season, The
Simpsons Complete 2nd Season, The
Sixth Sense, The
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs
Sound of Music, The
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Spider-Man
Stand by Me
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
Star Wars: The Phantom Menance
Terminator, The
T2 - Ultimate Edition
Thelma and Louise
Thomas Crown Affair, The
Toy Story  
Toy Story 2
Transformers: The Movie
True Romance
Unbreakable
Usual Suspects, The
West Side Story
Whole Nine Yards, The
Wild Things
X-Men
Young Guns

Current count: 129 seperate movies, although some came in a box set (Godfather, BTTF,) and some have two movies on the same disc (Godzilla vs. / Godzilla vs. ).  I got alot of Best Buy gift certificates for Xmas and spent most of them on movies.

Upcoming DVDs I want to get:
HP and the Chamber of Secrets
Family Guy
Sex and the City season 4
CSI: season 1
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 4, 2003, 10:31 AM »
Hey Tom -
Boy, that link took me straight into your shopping cart, which already had 3 of each of these items in it, along with a Back to the Future flick.  Obviously the next step would be to select "Shipping to" United States in the drop down box, and finally clicking the "Pay & Finish" button.

That then takes me to the final checkout page, and the items (which I edited to your original order) are still in the shopping cart for $45.98 total.  I'm afraid to click on the next step, not knowing if you already put in your credit card info or not.  But at this point you should be able to push either the "Secure Checkout" or "Standard Checkout" button, and continue on with the order.  Did you even get this far?  Like I said, I don't want to try further for fear of actually placing an order for you myself.

Hopefully this helps a little.  If not, you might want to try clearing out your cookies and starting all over, as there's no reason it shouldn't be working...  Good luck Tom, and give us another hollar to let us know how your order's progressing!

Hey Matt,
I haven't been able to get pass the shopping cart section to go on to the paying section.  Its weird that the link took you directly to my shopping cartsince it doesn't do it to me, it takes me to the main page of the store.  
  I guess it really doesn't matter anyways since my parents found out that I was going to buy bootleg dvds they told me not too.  And seeing as I live in they house without paying rent I guess I should listen to them. :(

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: March 4, 2003, 03:04 PM »
A few DVD sets I would love to get are the Star Trek TNG box sets, all seven seasons for only around $900. Yes, each set is about $120 a piece and then throw in tax! I don't think I will be getting all of these any time soon. :P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #56 on: March 4, 2003, 03:22 PM »
I've gotten through the TTT bootleg 1/2 way now and so far the quality is excellent, some scenes in the theater are not there in this DVD, probably because they shipped out this "screener" ahead of the release.

Every so often a little blurb comes up which says: "For you consideration"  This is what screeners are, they are for awards show voters to preview movies ahead of time.

Well worth the $10 and enough to tide me over until the Extended Version Release in the Fall

It sounds like The Simpsons: Season 3 will be released in June, hopefully Season 4 by Christmas in what I consider to be the Golden Age of the Simpsons, I can't wait!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #57 on: March 4, 2003, 03:34 PM »
1. TPM
2. AOTC
3. ANH (bootleg)
4. ESB (bootleg)
5. ROTJ (bootleg)
6. Spider-Man
7. LOTR:FOTR
8. LOTR:FOTR Extended Version
9. Pearl Jam: Single Video Theory
10. Pearl Jam: Touring Band 2000
11. The Goonies
12. Moulin Rouge
13. Caddy Shack
14. Strange Brew
15. Planes, Trains and Automobiles
16. Simpsons Season 1
17. Simpsons Season 2
18. ET the Extra Terrestrial
19. Space Balls
20. Dumb and Dumber
21. Vacation
22. O' Brother Where Art Thou
23. Grease
24. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
25. Several Elmo DVD's
26. Christmas Story
27. Cabin Boy
28. Fight Club
29. Pee Wee's Big Adventure
30. The Black Hole
31. Tommy Boy
32. Close Encounter of the Third Kind
33. X-Men 1.5
34. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Bootleg )
35. Groundhog Day*
36. What About Bob*

I still want to pick up:

The Jerk
Christmas Vacation
This is Spinal Tap
Blazing Saddles
Airplane
Back to the Future Trilogy
Momento
Pulp Fiction
Toy Story I and II

And can't wait for:

Indy Trilogy
SW Trilogy
Simpsons Season 3-14

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: March 4, 2003, 03:56 PM »
24. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Ain't that more commonly referred to as Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?!  Or do you just have some kind of fancy Special Edition that the rest of us don't know about Scott?  ;)

BTW, I've just been updating my original post back on the first page, so swing back there to catch my most recent DVD acquisitions (if anyone cares)...

Also, here's some more updated rumors/confirmation of the Indy trilogy from TheDigitalBits.com (maybe this is old news):

3/3/03

Here's some additional corroboration to the rumor we've been reporting about The Indiana Jones Trilogy FINALLY coming to DVD later this year from Paramount and Lucasfilm. In an interview with In Focus magazine (which is a publication for theater owners), writer/director Lawrence Kasdan (the man who scripted both Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes Back) has let on that the Indy DVDs ARE indeed in the works. Here's the relevant passage:

[Question] Now, you told Starlog in 1981 about your “Raiders” script rewrite: “A little bit of my script's logic and character development fell out along the way.” What was missing? And will it show up on the Indiana Jones DVDs?

[Kasdan] I don't think so. [laughs] Actually, I ran into Frank Marshall over the holidays, and he's working on that [DVD] collection. I don’t think there's going to be a lot of.... I don't know what they have planned. They obviously made a lot of smart decisions about what should be in the movie and what shouldn't.

When you're a beginning writer, you know, you hurt for everything that's lost. After you've directed 10 movies, you see that you cut stuff for a reason.

Click here to read the complete interview at In Focus. Thanks to the MANY Bits readers who sent this in. Slowly but surely, the evidence is mounting that old Indy will indeed be cracking his whip in your home theaters before the year is out.

Stay tuned...

SilverZ

« Reply #59 on: March 5, 2003, 03:57 PM »
Indy certainly sounds like its happening this year. It's the one last great thing I'm waiting for on DVD, and if it took any longer, my interest would have fallen away, kind of like the OT right now. I'd rather now wait for E4-6 on a Hi-Def disc format.

We taped Raiders off of ABC-HD last fall and they showed it at 2:35:1 in 720p. I've never seen the movie look as good as it did then, and the old laserdiscs just weren't that hot, so I'm betting the new DVDs utilize the new transfers shown last year. They shouldn't disappoint.

"Asps. Very dangerous."