Author Topic: ANIMATED cartoon CW figures coming?  (Read 15213 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
ANIMATED cartoon CW figures coming?
« on: August 10, 2003, 07:16 AM »
Those awesome newshounds over at GH are reporting that there will be ANOTHER new 4" Clone Wars figure line coming out.  This one will be different in that the figures are going to be styled like the animated cartoon likenesses from the actual series instead (think Vintage Droids and Ewoks).

If this indeed turns out to be true, I think I'm going to seriously YAK.  Why the hell would Hasbro do this - it makes no sense to have two separate, but very similar  figure lines going on the same relatively obscure EU property that is likely not even going to be all that popular (toy wise) in the first place!

Besides, they said at Comic Con that the CW line would not be continuing on in 2004.  So what gives?  Are they lying, or is this one of those things like Ben said "From a certain point of view..."?  Just pick ONE Clone Wars figure line and stick with it - be it the animated one, or the one that we've already heard about.  There's not going to be enough market to support both.  Not even close.  This is indeed some very disheartening news IMO, in the midst of such a positive time with all the great new upcoming 2004 Saga stuff being shown.

So, what do you guys think?  Would you favor one CW line over the other?  Will you even bother with "cartoon" looking figures?  Will you buy both?  Speak up!   :-*

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: ANIMATED cartoon CW figures coming?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 12:56 PM »
I will buy them... :o  Who knows,  they may become really rare and valuable like the Ewoks and Droids are... ;D

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 01:00 PM »
Well, I was there and from my understanding is that what GH reported is false.  The Hasbro rep I spoke with mentioned about the Clone Wars cartoon and their new figures, but the new figures are what you've seen already (i.e. Durge, Asajj Ventress, ARC Trooper, etc).  They never once mentioned Clone Wars figures with the same body style that totally resembles the Clone Wars cartoon characters.

I was there, so I do know what I'm talking about.  If Hasbro really are making those figures to resemble the Clone Wars cartoon characters, then that's just stupid.  But, of course I would more than likely end up buying them.   :P
dustrho

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 01:13 PM »
That's good...  I think they (Hasbro) are starting to do a GREAT job with the 2004 figures we have seen so far.  Why screw it up with new goofy-looking figures...  we already have enough of those... ::)

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 03:24 PM »
I will buy them... :o  Who knows,  they may become really rare and valuable like the Ewoks and Droids are... ;D

thats what everyoen thougth back in 95, whent hey kept everything carded...
only for it to be worth less than a sack of dirt now...

also, i recall Hasbro sayign that they wouldn't do an animated line?
i mean hell why bother witht he current one out?

I hope it never happens...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 03:34 PM »
Well, I was there and from my understanding is that what GH reported is false... They never once mentioned Clone Wars figures with the same body style that totally resembles the Clone Wars cartoon characters.

I don't think this was news that came out of Chicago's WW show.  GH said their "spies" uncovered the scoop.  Obviously, until it's officially confirmed or pictures get leaked, take the scoop with a grain of salt.  Hopefully it doesn't happen!

Andy, I think roguestormtrooper was just joking around there!  Hopefully...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 04:17 PM »
I actually wouldn't mind a few of these, but yeah, it makes no sense now.  This could be something offered through the fan club, or perhaps Cartoon Network will do these on its website or something like that.  

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 05:07 PM »
This news actually came from a pretty reliable source... and when I questioned my HK source he neither denied nor confirmed... saying that "most of what GH reported looked to be good  ;) ;)".

I actually would love to see what these will turn out like. I always thought the CW line should have been done in an animated style (ala Ewoke/Droids).

If you have ever seen the Samurai Jack figures you know that if done right they could rock.

If I hear more I'll lyk...

I do welcome them though...
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 05:09 PM »
Wow, a lot of folks are really four square against animated style figures, Im sort of surprised.......

I dont think its a bad idea, because it appeals to two different audiences.

You've got your figure collectors/Star Wars fans who want the realistic versions, so they match the rest of the line. Then you've got your cartoon fan group (and Cartoon Network has been known to create some pretty heavy legions of followers for their animated shorts and other cartoons) who want cartoon authentic figures.

Im excited about both to be honest, because I love the style of the Clone Wars cartoon, and think figures based directly on it would do it justice.

Maybe the line will be done in conjunction with Cartoon Network or something (they were wanting to create their own line).

Ill just throw in my typical addage: Dont like em? Dont buy em. I just cant stand when someone doesnt like the figures, they think they shouldn't be made. Just because you dont like them doesnt mean other fans dont want them, or deserve to be able to buy them.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2003, 05:26 PM »
I just cant stand when someone doesnt like the figures, they think they shouldn't be made. Just because you dont like them doesnt mean other fans dont want them, or deserve to be able to buy them.

Shhhh... not here Adam.

Also one other thing... I respect what Chris mentioned... and definitely believe he was told different at CWW.
One thing w/ Hasbro is one person will say one thing... while another will totally discredit that.

It all depends on how much one cares to leak out and how much the other doesn't care to leak out.
It's also a who ya know deal... like the whole world seems to revolve around.

So though I honestly believe Chris was told no way...
I do believe there's a good chance these are coming down the pike and some just would rather keep it secretive til they feel the time is right...

I can say that w/ the statement I got from my friend in HK... we'll see these sometime soon.
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2003, 06:14 PM »
Ill just throw in my typical addage: Dont like em? Dont buy em. I just cant stand when someone doesnt like the figures, they think they shouldn't be made. Just because you dont like them doesnt mean other fans dont want them, or deserve to be able to buy them.

I have no problem with "animated" styled figures, nor do I have a problem with Hasbro doing a line of them.  But just not TWO separate lines of Clone Wars figures.  Based on what we've seen so far from the regular CW line, there's going to be some SERIOUS peg warmers here.  Add to that a whole 'nother line of CW figures and you've got a very saturated market for a toyline that probably isn't going to be anywhere near as popular as the regular Saga line.

BUT, my biggest problem with running TWO separate CW lines, is that if these things do start warming the shelves en masse, retailers are going to start SCALING BACK on ALL the Star Wars stuff.  We've learned very well from past experience that retailers often don't have the SLIGHTEST clue when it comes to what's in the different case assortments.  If Star Wars is warming the shelves in some manner, a lot of places will simply cut back on their orders of ALL Star Wars, and that includes the much more important Saga line that we've been begging for for a couple years now - a line similar to the earlier POTJ line directed at the "adult collectors".

So my fear is that two separate and potentially floundering CW lines could adversely affect the ordering of Saga case assortments by many retail stores, not to mention they'll also be taking up very valuable shelf space that would be far better served for the Saga line.

So the question you have to ask yourself, is would you rather have a TON of Clone Wars figures, of two very differing styles?  Or would you rather have plenty of new Saga (POTJ2) product to go around and just one CW line?  The answer's pretty easy if you asked me.

I just don't think there's enough room in the toy aisle for THREE DIFFERENT Star Wars figure lines.  That's all.  I don't have anything against the animated style...

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 06:54 PM »
I see where you guys are going, but I also see it a little differently.

The CW line has a different SKU/DPCI/etc from the regular Saga line, so when these show up as not selling, stores will scale back on those skus, instead of Star Wars in general.

I also cant see the likelihood of both of these lines being in stores together, so maybe one would follow the other. And while I have my doubts that an animated line is coming (although I give a lot of weight to stuff the GH crew posts), I also doubt it would be on such a high retail scale as the regular line. Basically I see a line of 10 or so figures, all of which are an exclusive of some sort. I dont think Hasbro could convince large chains like Target, WalMart, Toys R Us and KBToys to dedicate space to three seperate Star Wars lines, they are having a hard enough time with two...

Another thing to keep in mind is this: The cartoon hasn't started yet. This cartoon could end up being a huge hit, so huge it would create a market for cartoon based figures. On the other hand, it could flop.

If these were going to happen, then they are in very early production (so early in fact, that even protos havent been developed most likely). Take Hasbro's pace on production and distribution of new figures, and these things wouldn't be on shelves for another 8 or 9 months.

Also consider the cartoon schedule: 20 episodes, split into 2 "seasons" with the first ten coming by years end (which "just by chance" happens to be the schedule for the regular line of Clone Wars figures). The second "season" wont air until a few months into next year, and presumably, given the short term nature of EU lines, the current Clone Wars line will have come and gone.

Basically, I see an animated line coming out around March/April/May of 2004, and having a small production run and probably a higher price. I'd expect Hasbro (or Cartoon Network) to target stores like EB Games, Sam Goody, Media Play and Suncoast. Stores which are known for typically carrying high end collector based toy lines. Given that, they'd probably run about 8 bucks each. Make them limited editions, and you sure as hell know they'd be a hit. Because everyone knows, when you put Limited Edition and Star Wars on the same package, people go nuts.

I would also say that with the nature of Hasbro, not everyone is going to know about this line, and almost definately not the crews they are sending to conventions, because they wouldnt want this leaking out from an official source, and getting the upheval it naturally would (first by those that dont want it, and then a possible second, when those that want them dont get it, because the line ended up getting cancelled before making production). Hasbro business personal (Marketing, Sales, etc) are far removed from those that are developing product lines, and if the product development people want to keep it hush hush, they arent going to let the business guys know about it.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2003, 07:54 PM »
I'll have to wait and see photos of them, but right now my answer is NO, I WILL NOT BUY THEM.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 08:13 PM »
Going along with my above post, if they were exclusive to stores like Media Play, Sam Goody, Suncoast and EB:

I think they'd be good candidates for being made in the same style as the Clerks (and other View Askew movies) "InAction" figures. Little non articulated plastic figures. The Clerks figures rock, and are excellent likeness right out of the cartoons, and the Clone Wars cartoon even has a similar style. Just make them an entirely different line and sell to a different market

SilverZ

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2003, 02:27 PM »
Its sounds like if these happen, they would most likely be timed for the inevitable DVD release of the cartoon series. Makes a lot of sense to have something new to tie them into and makes it easier to sell in to retailers.

As it already appears Clone Wars isn't a retail phenomenon (aside from the irritation of finding the clonetrooper multipacks - all clones refresh pack NOW please, Hasbro) I can't see this being anything more than whats already mentioned above, just a one-shot tie-in line. I'd be behind it if that were the case. If it prevents or jeopardizes the Saga line through normal retail channels? That's another story. Forget it. That's a recipe for Peg Poison.