Author Topic: 2013 Movie Heroes Class II Vehicles - Yoda Boxes  (Read 17006 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2013 Movie Heroes Class II Vehicles - Yoda Boxes
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Sandtroopers.com have posted a few comparison photos of the new, smaller-scaled 2013 Class II ships.

It will be interesting to see how well these sell... they will certainly be more affordable at $20 compared to this year's $30, but the smaller sizes on some of them (Slave I, I'm looking at you) is so ridiculous that most collectors are going to just laugh and ignore these.   :-\
« Last Edit: February 1, 2013, 11:29 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2013 Movie Heroes Class II Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:06 PM »
The tank was underscaled to begin with too, and I really don't see that doing well either...  I think going smaller isn't really going to help things much.  I know I personally will buy even less but I hadn't been buying much to begin with.

Actually the Cloud Car and Snowspeeder were my last 2 purchases of those kinds of ships...  The scale was right, and the detail off the charts.  The V-19 is the only thing I've been tempted on since and I've got a few anyway so I've passed.

It's a ship I'd like a few more of, cheap, but not even at $20.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:16 PM »
I can appreciate getting those ships back into the $20 range, but yeah, I'm not sure if it is going to help or not.  If it gets them in kiddos hands and makes them happy, fine by me.  Like I said when they announced them, we already have the larger scale versions of these (and likely most others they would do), so these aren't for us anyways.  I just wonder how much kids care about SW at this point anyways, so we'll see if this helps or not.  It is nice for gift giving though, as I know we've gone to buy stuff like this for our nephews in the past and once you get a ship for $30, it is tough to justify much else.  At least this way you could get a ship and a figure (now if they could only get the figures more affordable, which is what the Movie Heroes line should be anyway I think).

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:43 PM »
Wondering what the later shrunken additions will be. ROTS Jedi Fighter? V-Wing? AAT? Vader's TIE? (that would hurt!).

Again, you could use the clone tank as a scout version, no stupider than that mini-Droid scout tank they made. Though, I never got the Clone tank because it never quite felt right, it's almost neat but there was something too EU about it. Also, most clones cannot sit for crap, that make vehicle interaction difficult. It's telling though, they chose it to scale down...pointing out a flaw with the prequels (and CLONE WARS) lack of a mid-sized Clone ground vehicle (ignoring the Swamp Speeder, which Hasbro also ignored for years), because everything was one-manned or ginormous sized to the point they'd sink into the ground. 

The mini-Slave 1, use as a Mando fighter...if anybody army buillt such things.  But there is an absurdity to scout/fighters being just tinier versions of bigger ships.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 04:43 PM »
The tank was underscaled to begin with too, and I really don't see that doing well either...  I think going smaller isn't really going to help things much.  I know I personally will buy even less but I hadn't been buying much to begin with.

I never really thought of the previous fighter tank as under-scaled. It seems to fit perfectly with the figures as well as the large clone vehicles, but perhaps my extreme hatred of the huge Lego version clouded my view of the Hasbro tank. I'm sure the small tank will sell fine, as both "large" releases sold well in my area. Personally, I will happily skip the reduced scale vehicles, but they aren't meant for me anyway. I would love it if Hasbro uses the assortment to throw a few bones to collectors, like normal sized Landspeeders, airspeeders, A-Wings, or even creatures like Boga, but I won't be holding my breath.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:13 PM »
Hasbro has an aversion to making creatures. There's ample fauna they could've made from Clone Wars for the deluxe/class I series but instead chose to invent new vehicles.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I had hopes for the tank to be scaled right back when it came out but when it was released I realized it didn't jive with any schematics of it...  Trust me it was undersized from the get-go and will just be moreso now.  :-\  I wouldn't say it was grossly undersized like some ships are (Slave-I, X-Wings, etc.), but it wasn't quite right.  Kind of like the Tatooine Skiff...  Close but no cigar.

The one I'd cite as possibly being an improvement is Vader's TIE...  There's a little argument dependant upon what you believe, with that ship.  I'm ok with the one we have though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:05 PM »
VolkerC posted some images of the first wave of Class 2 vehicles both packaged and loose.  And OMG does that version of Jango's Slave I look just RIDICULOUSLY small!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Wow.  I typically buy at least one of everything, but that Slave I is going to be a pass.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 10:10 PM »
Might be good for Kubricks  ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 11:58 PM »
They're all sad, really.  Look at that Jedi Fighter.  Comically bad when the original one was to-scale. 

I wasn't planning to buy anyway, no skin off my teeth, but yeah, those are horrible.  I mean, even the tank is dinky.  All the viewports are just like little holes for one guy to see out of.  Too funny.  And basically it's hollow underneath too?  I question Hasbro's "need" to do this, honestly.

I know of a toy company that makes knock-offs similarly...  hollow on one side, etc.  They do a lot more with a lot less it seems.  I know, I know, licenses, but that only goes so far at this stage.  Really those are pathetic.

In one way I'm glad there's nothing I wanted anyway, but on the other hand, it's such a sad way to see the line go.  The multi-figure w/vehicle sets are better looking by far.  Trying to make the actual movie ships only smaller though, bad idea.  Your line looks like a dollar store knock-off now but for what's ultimately not a fair price for what you're delivering.

I think they saw sales of a toy line stagnating and they're trying anything to fix it, and I think the product taking a turn for the worse to justify a lower price isn't going to "fix" anything.  Just my opinion.  Like I said, I'm just glad none of it was of any interest to me anyway.

Those Deluxe ship w/2 figures though, definitely looking forward to a couple of 'em.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 12:24 AM »
The more I look at these the more I dislike them. Initially I thought the Jedi Starfighter and Tank were okay, in a charming "hey, it's a toy!" kind of way. Now I think all three look ridiculously small as well as cheap and poorly made. I'll definitely be passing on them. It's a shame that the TVC box vehicles didn't do well this year, as having a "premium" line of vehicles alongside these miniature offerings might have been a great move.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12 AM »
I agree, these look rather silly.

I also think it was stupid of them to stop differentiating between Clone Wars vehicles and Star Wars vehicles. I liked it a lot better when I knew which ships went with which line.

Slap a CW identifier on these things and I would buy all of them. Short of that, I couldn't care less.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:39 AM »
True Mini-Rigs...in a bad way.

Yeah, $20 for one of these vs. $20 for two figures and a mini-vehicles?

I can only hope that post-Disney buy-out,  Hasbro will  be less pressured by Lucasfilm demands and go back to larger offerings.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 10:35 AM »
The only good thing I'd consider doing with that Slave I is painting it in some sort of Death Watch colors and having it stand in as some sort of a Mandalorian starfighter.  Otherwise, I find this whole assortment completely useless.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback