Author Topic: Disney Buys LFL  (Read 78483 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Disney Buys LFL; Announces Episode 7
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 10:55 PM »
There were always going to be more SW movies. Lucas or no, there's simply too much money at stake not to. One has to wonder what's in store - I'm honestly intrigued by his original concept for 7, 8 and 9 - but 2015? They're shooting tomorrow? I don't think this will be a movie on the scale of those we've seen previously, unless I'm missing something.

The sale to Disney bugs me. I never thought Lucas would sell off his companies. I figured he'd try to keep them independent no matter what. Maybe he thinks this way they endure. Unfortunately for SW at least, it guarantees the dilution of something truly special. We will be sick of SW no doubt very quickly.

As for OT cameos - I WANT Mark Hamill as Old Luke. Let's see it.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 11:03 PM »
I like that Lucas will only be a creative consultant...but I should be more excited than I am right now.   :-\

I've resisted the urge to say anything about this until know as I've been mulling over the possibilities.  I love love love the idea of more films.  Like many, I figured this was just a matter of time, but I honestly did not think we'd get them for another 10-20 years or more.  If Disney can come up with something even close to what they're doing with Marvel, then this should be an amazing ride.

However...

I'm approaching this with cautious optimism.  Lucas staying on as a consultant could easily ruin this.  If he has enough say in what happens, these could suck and suck big. Lucas did something amazing with the OT, but his prequels were terrible with things like trade embargos and Jar Jar.  He's also stated he could care less for the fanboys out there and almost seems interested in going against their wishes.  Hopefully his role is minimal, but I'd much rather have a clean break from his influence.

I also think creating something that pleases everyone is going to be really difficult.  A lot of people probably want to see the core characters or at least some of them return.  Some people want Hamill and Fisher and Ford back to at least transition to some new characters - others want a clean break.  Some people will want them to focus on ties to the OT and what happens immediately following, while others likely want something much further in the future.  Someone suggested movies that could bounce around in time, which could be cool or could be total filler.  Will they map to something from the EU?  Will it be entirely new?  Will it conflict with what is establsihed in the EU?  I hope Disney has an amazing plan for the franchise similar to what they're doing with Marvel, but who knows.  Have they even confirmed a script yet?  It sounds like their has already been a good deal of planning, but who knows how detailed (or how good) those plans are.

I'm excited and hopeful - I just hope they can do the franchise justice and produce something on par with the Star Wars I grew up with.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 11:04 PM »
I don't want forced cameos either, but I could see Hamill as the elder Jedi type depending on the timeline and plot.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 11:12 PM »
What I don't want is forced cameos with Fisher, Hamill and Ford...

Amen

Thirded...  I really don't want to see classic characters, or I want to see recast classic characters.  I'm already seeing people mention the classics, and I'm sorry, but it's like Trek...  Shatner & Co. are too old, at this point.  Likewise, I feel the classic cast are a bit too old for a compelling film in Star Wars.  You could go witha  much older Luke (not that Hammil's ancient, but he's not a young man by a longshot).  I couldn't handle Carrie Fisher as anything but a sex symbol at this point too... 

It's not a slight from me on them as people.  By all accounts, I hear nothing but good things about Hammil, Fisher, Ford (seems like a good guy to me regardless of his distancing himself from the franchise), and Billy Dee Williams was downright charming when I met him.  All great people.  But I don't want to see them anymore than I want to see Shatner and Nemoy trying to make another go of that franchise.

I'm in the recast or new characters camp...

And definitely NOT into a redo of the original films...  People seem to be running rampant with that idea, for reasons I can't explain, around the web.  I've seen nothing to indicate that is even being considered at this point, but if it is I hope they kill that idea NOW.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 11:17 PM »
Does anyone else think that the EU post-ROTJ is about to get really messy?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 11:22 PM »
I just keep going back to Spock in the the last Star Trek...while as a story it worked...to me they put Nimoy in there just to put him in there and not have Trek rage.

Luke as Obi Wan is about I'll concede as plausible

And for Jayson...I can't wait for EUrmaggedon.  Much like CW kills something every week this will get funny stupid in outrage.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 11:24 PM »
There's no value in the post ROTJ films honoring the EU... it's too messy and convoluted for a general audience and Lucas has never abided comics/books so why start now? My gut tells me the next trilogy will be set 20-30 years after ROTJ and will be about as disconnected from the original as the PT was - with the exception I think of your ageless characters like the droids. C-3P0 and R2 will be on hand no doubt. I do think Luke makes a lot of sense, even if Hamill is old. I would love to see him and Luke one last time.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26 PM »
Does anyone else think that the EU post-ROTJ is about to get really messy?

Absolutely.  I feel (and fear) they'll just disevow all of it, and that annoys me.

Not all of it needs acknowledged, but they should at least make a vague attempt to keep it from getting totally knocked off the radar.

20-30 years would be ok, but evne further might be better IMO.  Old Luke is about all I could handle, as well.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:27 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 11:27 PM »
I like the idea of a post ROTJ re-boot with all new characters, maybe Luke as the elder Headmaster of the New Jedi Academy. Not set directly afterwards, but maybe 30-40 years in the future. I'd like to see them stay away from the Thrawn/Xizor/Vong stuff and go someplace new.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 11:29 PM »
One other thing on Trek...almost everything about the new Trek was awesome and I went into it with no anticipation or expectations.  Much like Rob said no risk high reward...

People are worried that this is going to be more suck but the right team (Spielberg, Whedon, hell even Abrams) can right the ship just like the Trek franchise did

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2012, 11:32 PM »
I'm mostly worried about losing the Thrawn Trilogy...  It was almost perfection, and only a recast could possibly think about going to it as a movie (not that they will).  ******** on the stuff YOU sanctioned to make money off of, is BS on Lucas' part and insulting to the authors you hired.

I hate a lot of it even, but I just think you try to NOT dump all over it for the sake of the fans who actually do like it.  I dislike a lot of the NJO, but I don't want it all just wiped away like it never happened because someone decided to do more movies.

The Trek reboot, like you mention, is something I keep going back to mentally because it makes me feel warmer about this whole thing I guess.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2012, 11:36 PM »
One trope I hope they avoid is time travel. It may work with Star Trek (to varying degrees of success) but I just see it having no place in a SW film.

I'm mostly worried about losing the Thrawn Trilogy...  It was almost perfection, and only a recast could possibly think about going to it as a movie (not that they will).  ******** on the stuff YOU sanctioned to make money off of, is BS on Lucas' part and insulting to the authors you hired.

Exactly. Too bad the technology we have now didn't exist 20 years ago as I would have loved a Thrawn Trilogy.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:38 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2012, 11:51 PM »
Nobody's even mentioned the re-releases in 3-D yet.   :-X

Brian did... 

So, I would guess that we'll see the entire OT released in 3D in 2014 then?

That makes sense to me.  AOTC/ROTS in 2013, 3D-OT films in 2014 (maybe Christmastime to compete with Hobbit?), then Episode 7 in 2015.  Works for me.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2012, 11:55 PM »
Whoops, sorry Brian that I msised your post...  I was trying to catch up a little too fast I guess (4 pages was a lot to get through for me today, hehe).

Amazing what a big shakeup like this can mean for just general new blood in a hobby that's seen a steady decline.  Pretty fun/interesting to watch.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2012, 12:39 AM »
It's crazy watching twitter/facebook/internet just blowing up.  For some it's the END of Star Wars, for others it's a chance at a fresh start at new movies.

I think the thing that I am most excited about is the chance to share the "OMG IT'S NEW STAR WARS" adventure with my boys.  The boys have seen 1, 2, 4, 5, 6.  Next Fall, they'll be 7, so I'll probably let them go see ROTS-3D in the theater.  Then they get the OT 3D flicks in theaters at age 8, followed by age nine (the same age I was for ROTJ) for Episode 7.  Kellan will be 5 in Summer 2015, so I may even be able to drag him along (depending on the subject/rating of the film of course :P).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender