Author Topic: Disney Buys LFL  (Read 78469 times)

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
Re: Disney Buys LFL; Announces Episode 7
« Reply #135 on: November 4, 2012, 12:19 PM »
Well, conducting already composed music is one thing - taking on the scores for three totally new movies is a whole other thing. I hope he can pull it off, but I don't know...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #136 on: November 4, 2012, 01:38 PM »
I wouldn't expect him to do it, for all three films, anyhow. We were actually discussing this last night - there are other acceptable alternatives, like Michael Giacchino, Bear McCreary, Howard Shore and others.

We all also (Ben, Matt and I) discussed directors, and it seems to me if it's not Speilberg, the most obvious choice is Joe Johnston. He has a relationship with Disney, and obviously one with Lucas. It would be a natural fit.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #137 on: November 4, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Either Johnston or Spielberg would be my pick for 7, after that it's anyone's game. Neil Blomkamp (District 9) would be a great choice too, at least IMO.

The score is another thing. Michael Giacchino would be great, but since he's got Star Trek, somebody else should get a shot.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 4, 2012, 11:41 PM »
Spielberg would be my first choice.  He speaks George's language, especially since they've worked so closely together in the past.  And his name had actually been tossed about for directing at least one of the prequels before GL decided he would return to the director's chair.

There are certainly some other great directors that might work well with Star Wars.  JJ Abrams has been openly vocal about his love for Star Wars and how much it influenced his own life in filmmaking.  And I've got to say, Jon Favreau might be an interesting guy to take on Star Wars.  After seeing what he was capable of doing with Iron Man and Iron Man 2, my opinion of him changed dramatically.  If not as a director, then perhaps as one of the screen writers.  Joe Johnston has definitely upped his game with his past few films.  [Captain America, especially.

I know there have been wishlist directors thrown around, like Chris Nolan, Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson.  I think their work is amazing, and their take on the saga could be really interesting.  But I also get the sense that they all tend to be so involved in the screenwriting and story process of their own films that it might not make any of them the right fit for the Sequel Trilogy.  With Jackson at least, his schedule probably wouldn't permit him to take on the project.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #139 on: November 5, 2012, 12:37 AM »
I can sum up Spielberg as a bad choice in 5 words: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Joss Whedon could do a good job.  Although I saw a story where someone was hoping Han Solo would be recast by Ryan Gosling.  If I start seeing stuff like that...no way in hell I'm going to see it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 5, 2012, 06:39 AM »
The way the rumor mill is really gearing up has me jazzed for Star Wars in a way since I haven't been since TPM came out.  Better yet is the final destination of this story is not determined, unlike the PT.

I think Joe Johnston is an ideal pick.  He's proven himself on a big-budget blockbuster, he has proven that he can work with an FX heavy movie, and he has history with the franchise.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys LFL
« Reply #141 on: November 5, 2012, 06:38 PM »
i just can't believe how stoked I am on this, anything that would result in more movies is a plus for me.  Considering all we've had to look forward to is a weekly cartoon and a game here or there, this is almost mind blowing.  Can't wait to read into all the lil tidbits that we'll gleam from rumors and pics.  this will be even better then ROTS when we finally found out how Anakin became Vader because EVERYTHING will be new and no holds bar.  This time I'll be able to share with my son and he'll be 8 by the time this hits theaters, PERFECT age.  By the time ROTS was out my oldest daughter was only 5 and of course all about Disney Princess.  This is a whole new ball game in so many respects.  And I can't wait.  I think the only thing that could make this suck is if they cloned Anakin or something stupid
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 6, 2012, 01:46 PM »
And I've got to say, Jon Favreau might be an interesting guy to take on Star Wars.  After seeing what he was capable of doing with Iron Man and Iron Man 2, my opinion of him changed dramatically.

I'm not sure you'd still think that was a good idea if you'd seen Cowboys and Aliens.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 6, 2012, 04:48 PM »
And I've got to say, Jon Favreau might be an interesting guy to take on Star Wars.  After seeing what he was capable of doing with Iron Man and Iron Man 2, my opinion of him changed dramatically.

I'm not sure you'd still think that was a good idea if you'd seen Cowboys and Aliens.

I only watched it for the eye candy... wasn't that bad if you watch it from that perspective.  :P

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #144 on: November 6, 2012, 07:25 PM »
Seems like almost everyone is shooting for the "geek-oriented" directors to take the helm (Abrams, Jackson, Favreau, etc.), but honestly, I'd rather see someone who is just straight up a GOOD movie director - I don't care about their geek creds. Irvin Kershner wasn't known for making sci-fi movies, but he made the best SW movie, hands down. Richard Marquand - same thing. Why not look for just SOLID directors who can tell a story effectively?

Sure, having someone who is a huge SW fan is nice, but I'm sure there will be more than enough folks behind the scenes who are ultra SW geeks. Without a dictator-like presence a la Lucas running things, I think simply a great director could give us a fantastic movie. David O. Russell? Darren Aronovsky? Tom Hooper? Kathryn Bigelow? Danny Boyle? Maybe none of them would want to take on the job, but I hope they think outside of the obvious with this choice.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 6, 2012, 09:53 PM »
How about a Star Wars movie that is off the beaten path with lots of horror elements in it directed by Guillermo del Toro or even Tobe Hooper?

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 6, 2012, 10:40 PM »

I saw it.  Visually the movie was good.  The script?  Eh.

But since when was any Star Wars script all that strong?  At least when it came to dialogue?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2012, 02:21 PM »
Boy, I hated Cowboys and Aliens...dull, no humor, grisly without any depth...just lame.

I've been thinking that Kenneth Branagh might work as well.  He is a proven director of actors and high drama, and his work on Thor was pretty good.  And the fact that he did Thor, means he has the Disney approval.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2012, 01:55 PM »
There is talk about Disney following a Marvel-like series of movies based on individual characters and then have those character meet up in Ep7,8,9. Kind of like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America then the Avengers.

Maybe our boy Willrow Hood will get his own movie!!!

http://blastr.com/2012/11/disney-planning-2-or-3-st.php
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2012, 09:36 PM »
I think you misinterpreted the article.  The author was stating that there would be more than one release every few years, like Marvel has done, not that SW would adopt the same concept of solo character-based storylines.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today