Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)  (Read 243521 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #330 on: April 18, 2014, 08:23 AM »
So if Obi-Wan does have a kid and she is force sensitive, what's with the dialogue between Obi and Yoda in Empire basically stating Luke or another (Leia) are their only hope? 

Yeah, I can see that being a problem for some fans (and if it happens, we'll have to see how that works out)... But from a different angle, even if the kid is force-sensitive, perhaps Luke and Leia are the only hope for balancing the force.  They are Anakin's offspring so maybe the love of a father for his children and vice-versa (yeah, after maiming one and torturing the other) can win Vader over.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 18, 2014, 01:57 PM »
I wonder how many Bothans are going to sacrifice their careers to bring us spoilers?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 18, 2014, 04:44 PM »
"I want to take this opportunity to welcome you to what will inevitably be a lot of fun, but also provide a cautionary.  We take secrecy very serious at BR."

That's either fake, or an idiot wrote it and forged Abrams' signature.  Also, the idea that Abrams would threaten to personally destroy anyone's reputation in a form letter like that is absurd.  Sure, he or others might try to do that to people, but that part is either a joke, or again, fake.

I'm going with fake.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 18, 2014, 06:29 PM »
So if Obi-Wan does have a kid and she is force sensitive, what's with the dialogue between Obi and Yoda in Empire basically stating Luke or another (Leia) are their only hope? 

Yeah, I can see that being a problem for some fans (and if it happens, we'll have to see how that works out)... But from a different angle, even if the kid is force-sensitive, perhaps Luke and Leia are the only hope for balancing the force.  They are Anakin's offspring so maybe the love of a father for his children and vice-versa (yeah, after maiming one and torturing the other) can win Vader over.

A few things come to mind about how this could be written around.  First, Obi-Wan may have been in a relationship but did not know about the existance of a child. 

Also, there's the possibility that Obi-Wan could have known about a child, but kept that information from Yoda.  Could he have been compartmentalizing that information for the purposes of protecting people?  Is it possible defiance on the part of Obi-Wan in the spirit of Qui-Gon?  Remember Yoda admonishing Obi-Wan in TPM:  "Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you.  Need that you do not".
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 18, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I wonder how many Bothans are going to sacrifice their careers to bring us spoilers?

The site that ran this earlier updated the original posting with the following:

EDIT: Lucasfilm contacted Bad Robot and confirmed this memo is a forgery! Darkness is everywhere! Foul play is afoot!

I would expect anyone working for Bad Robot has signed an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) either upon being hired or for every individual project.  It's a standard business practice for many a media company.  Very likely everyone involved with Episode VII production has already signed an NDA, and that document would look radically different from the forgery on that site.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:09 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 19, 2014, 03:26 PM »
I don't think Obi's child would be unknown to him once he's a spirit.  If he can find Luke on Hoth or Endor it would be silly for him to not know about his kid.  Its just not a good fit for his character or the existing story.  I hope they go another direction.  30 years after ROTJ would give us plenty of time for some cool Solo and Skywalker Jedi along with a number of others from other worlds. I don't see any need to tap into Obi-Wan genes.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #336 on: April 19, 2014, 07:06 PM »
If it's going to be a relative....I hope it's a child or grandchild of a sibling of Obi-Wan's.  It would make more sense and preserve the Obi-Wan character as we know him.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #337 on: April 25, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Today at StarWars.com -

"In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe."

Nice to see that finally officially confirmed.  Back to speculating about the horrible idea of an Obi-Wan love child! :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 25, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Good.    Glad to see it confirmed.  Forcing the filmmakers to adhere to the post-ROTJ EU would be the equivalent of painting them into a story telling corner.  It was tough enough for George Lucas to make certain that he hit all the notes to set the stage in the prequels for the known backstory of the OT.  Expecting the Sequel Trilogy to do the same with stories that barely got George Lucas's attention would be a terrible thing to do.  It would kill any surprise that could come from these new movies.

In other more pertinent news, the budget for the movie has been roughly set at close to $200 million.  And 2nd unit photography has begun in Abu Dhabi.  Casting announcements appear to be coming soon, but according to Horn, he wants to leave that announcement to the filmmakers.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:25 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #339 on: April 25, 2014, 05:15 PM »
I like that they're trying to incorporate the little stuff...  Like SFS as a major player in the galaxy (along with KDY I assume), and things that are inconsequential to a degree but the kind of details I like.

I'm sure some post rotj EU will still fit.  I'm betting they'll rework some existing EU to fit too, or at least some characters.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 25, 2014, 06:10 PM »
I am excited to see how this new continuity lines-up across the movies, novels, comics, etc. I may be more encouraged to read a novel if it links directly to one of the movies.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 25, 2014, 10:38 PM »
I'm personally disappointed by this move.  I always viewed Star Wars as a level better than other universes because of the work that went into maintaining the continuity across generations of stories.  I think they could have found several EU stories to adapt, and it would have still felt new for the masses.

This said, I plan to view this the same way I view walking dead.  There's an awesome comic universe and a cool alternate TV universe.  I like both and its equally cool to see the differences and parallels.  I will view post ROTJ the same way. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:40 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #342 on: April 26, 2014, 12:01 AM »
I did a little cleaning up in here...  let's keep the "RIP EU" talk in the Disney EU Clean-Up thread and leave this one for Episode 7 specific talk.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:03 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #343 on: April 28, 2014, 11:31 AM »
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/04/27/star-wars-clues-carrie-fisher-harrison-ford-mark-hamill-in-london-as-new-trilogy-is-set-to-begin/

Big 3 in London...I would guess that they announce the cast this Sunday.  Lots of hype leading up to May the 4th

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2014, 01:07 PM »
We have a cast!

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.