Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)  (Read 243498 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #15 on: November 5, 2012, 03:22 PM »
Agreed. From what I've seen of the CW (which is, admittedly, not a huge amount), I feel like Obi-Wan's final words to Anakin on Mustafar should be changed to "You were a co-worker! I had some respect for you when we had meetings together!"
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2012, 03:59 PM »
Agreed on Ahsoka on the show...  If anything, and you have to have her, she should be with them and she should highlight some of Anakin's better and worse qualities.  His attachment and devotion, his inability to separate himself but also his self-sacrifice...  That type of stuff would've gone a long way, and it could've served to show how Obi-Wan's blind to Anakin's ultimate change whereas Yoda is not when the **** finally hits the fan.

That would've been awesome stuff.  Like Obi-Wan was a little naieve in his youth, in the war, and that's why he regrets so much later on.  His self-sacrifice to "right the ship" then would've been even more powerful if you saw a true friendship built through the toon.  The movies didn't really do a good job of it when they crowbarred a line or two between them while they ride in an elevator.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2012, 04:09 PM »
I agree, Jesse.  I mean they need to have Obi-Wan blinded (not entirely the wise Obi-Wan who instructs Anakin) because they are friends.  Even though he is his great pupil, they need to show why Obi-Wan thought he could be better than Yoda (Yoda speaks that all Jedi have arrogance).  Plus, they have to show why Obi-Wan is conflicted when he asks Anakin to spy on Palpatine for the council, etc.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 5, 2012, 04:35 PM »
To get back on Episode 7, I do like the idea of bringing the Force ghosts back in. I'd like to see Luke conferring with them a bit, if possible.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2012, 04:42 PM »
I'd like to see him talk with Yoda, OWK, and if possible some of the others... Seems like QGJ may work out for that.  I got the impression that not everyone manages to do that though?  Would Mace be able to?  I suppose anything could be bs'd.  I'd just be interested in seeing what Luke's conversation and questions might be for some of those guys.

He'd probably bitch about E1 a lot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2012, 05:05 PM »
"Soooo...my dad built C-3PO? The ****?!!!"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2012, 12:22 AM »
I have a feeling Yoda will show up as a Force Ghost.  The Sequel Trilogy has a hard time in front of it.  No Vader.  No Yoda.  Two of the most iconic characters are off the table...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2012, 08:31 AM »
Not unless they were cloned   :o
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2012, 09:57 AM »
I think the next SW film should be a true sequel to the Saga and they should handle the OT characters in one of two ways; set the film far enough in the future that they can cast Hamill, Fisher and Ford to basically hand off the new series to a younger generation of characters or base it off a scenario where we don’t need to see those original characters on film.

Maybe base the film on some other characters living in a post ROTJ universe, where we may hear about how Leia is leading the Senate or Luke is off teaching at the new Academy without actually showing them.  Or if they skipped ahead and the series focused around the children of the OT heroes.

One thing I don't want to see is Luke, Leia and/or Han recast with different actors.  I've seen some comparison between the new Abrams Star Trek and how Disney could handle a sequel to Star Wars but I call bull****.  Abrams didn’t really come up with a way to recast the actors as much as he wiped out four decades of continuity with a time travel film and started over from scratch.  I liked the movie, and I accept it because time travel isn't new to that universe, but I don’t want to see that with Star Wars.

I can accept the EU being thrown out and not being taken into consideration when it comes to sequels, but the six Saga films and the Clone Wars animated series, all of which came with Lucas’ input, should stay.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 6, 2012, 10:07 AM »
What if the new movies were based on the NJO?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #25 on: November 6, 2012, 10:10 AM »
This would be a great thread to start collecting/posting links to interesting info out on the interwebz if you guys find them. I know there's a lot of stuff out there right now.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 6, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Apparently (and somewhat surprisingly), rumor is Ford is up for reprising his role, at least at this point:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/05/star-wars-sequel-harrison-ford-han-solo-exclusive/

Honestly, and I know everyone has their own opinions on this, but I sort of want to see the OT characters back.  I know they are older, but really that is where the magic is for me with Star Wars.  I enjoyed the prequels for what they were, and still watch them now and again, but they never held that same magic as the OT did for me.  A lot of that may be nostalgia and everything, but the prequels for the most part never had that same feel to me as the OT.

I think it would be nice to at least have them appear, whether it is to set up new characters for future installments, or in maybe more supporting roles, but I just think it would be nice to see again.  Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, the Droids and even characters like Lando helping to continue the Rebellion, etc.  I'd be interested in seeing any new movie set in the SW universe, but honestly the OT time period is the most interesting to me right now.

I've never played the game(s), although they look spiffy, but that might be where the Old Republic type stuff (or even other EU sources) don't seem as "Star Wars" to me.  I enjoy them for what they are, and maybe would really get into them if I devoted more time to those areas, but I sort of like having the character follow through from the movies.  That is sort of my feeling with EU books/novels (which, to be honest, I haven't read a ton of)....it stinks for those who are way into those, but to me they had some great stories and they'll still be great stories even if the movies overwrite them in some ways.  I'd rather have original ideas where I don't know what's going to happen than an adaptation of a story I've already read.  One drawback mentioned of the prequels was knowing the "end point", and one of the most exciting things we have about these new movies is that anything could happen this time around.  There is great material in parts of the EU, and some stuff that could even be incorporated, but to me the movies (and to a lesser extent the TV series) supercede anything else, canon-wise.

That being said, one adaptation that would be cool to see would be the Thrawn Trilogy.  That is one EU source that I've read several times, and I really enjoyed it.  Even if they went the direct to video animated route, it would be cool to see that story told at some point.  Anyways, back to the Episode VII excitement.  To me, this is some of the best part of having new movies, having all this discussion and speculation on the forums.  Just wait until we start getting casting/director news, story rumors, and even set pics.  Fun stuff.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: November 6, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Apparently (and somewhat surprisingly), rumor is Ford is up for reprising his role, at least at this point:

If they can get Harrison Ford to somehow agree to be Han Solo again?  Then they can do whatever the hell they want with the rest of the movie and, even if it ends up being a giant train wreck, I'd still happily go see it...  :-[
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 7, 2012, 12:27 AM »
I like that Ford will be more game if he's killed off. Like Heston in Beneath Planet of the Apes....I'll do it, as long as you promise I die by the end.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 7, 2012, 09:48 AM »
I guess he has to keep Calista Flockhart happy.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours