Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)  (Read 243495 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2013, 08:49 PM »
I'm pretty happy about this news as well, and hope it is confirmed by Lucasfilm/Disney soon.  I'm a big fan of the new Trek movie, as well as Super 8 (not to mention things like LOST)...and we all know he's a big fan and a talented filmmaker, so it is a great way to kick things off.  I'm excited to hear more about all of this, and where he's going take things.  Now for some story/casting rumors ;).

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2013, 09:22 PM »
I've been following this news all day and it has been quite comical. A dozen or so entertainment/news sites (Variety, THR, Jo Blo MTV, etc.) were all posting this as confirmed all while siting anonymous sources and the original sit that broke the story (The Wrap). Then later it evolved into being in final negotiations between Abrams and Disney.

How does multiple sites running the story based on the same source warrant a "confirmation"? I still think it is possible, maybe even probable but until LFL/Disney issues a release it is still a rumor.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2013, 09:59 PM »
So I guess in Episode 9 Luke, Leia and Han are all reunited in a church and it turns out they were dead all along?

Jar Jar kicking back with a can of Slusho?

;)

Just cast that girl from Alcatraz, she would make a badass Jedi.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2013, 10:35 PM »
I was hoping for Ridley Scott. Turns out the midichlorians, which allow lifeforms to use the Force, were created by an ancient race of none-too-friendly pale skinned giants. Then we see Jabba the Hutt's baby burst from Leia's chest.

Or Tim Burton, who'd take the job then say he doesn't like Star Wars or even science-fiction, Depp stars and Helena Bonham Carter appears...aside from a Billy Dee Williams cameo, the only actor from a previous Star Wars film to appear is Christopher Lee as a recording of Count Dooku, who turns out is Johnny Depp's character's dad.

I won't joke about Stephen Sommers or Paul W.S. Anderson...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2013, 11:29 PM »
Ugh.

I like Cloverfield, probably way more than I should, and liked Star Trek too, but Star Trek wasn't a Star Trek movie. A good sci-fi movie but not a good Star Trek movie. Not a fan of his other work.

I just hope we don't wind up with more of JJ's alternate universe crap. Or this:

http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2013, 11:53 PM »
Y'know, that lens flare right at the beginning of AOTC has always bothered me. Likewise the silly overuse of it in Trek. But I'll take a movie that's set on the "lens flare planet" to have a director that is paying attention to what the actors are doing around the FX.

Looks like we might actually get a movie with an involving emotional thread. Super 8 (and for that matter Toy Story 3) was so well done I have a ton of faith here. Lets hope it pans out and all parties can keep this combination together.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2013, 02:26 AM »
Although I would have been more than happy to hear that Del Toro would be directing, I'm pleasantly surprised (and RELIEVED) that Abrams is directing. When rumors came out that the director of whatever Wolverine/X-Men movie that was would possibly directing, I was praying that it wouldn't be so.

Let's be honest, the guy's very talented. He has some very well-done and well-reviewed AND well-received films in his portfolio. Am I afraid he'll mess with a lotta canon like he supposedly did with Trek? Yes. But, being that he's the big fan he's always claim to be, I doubt he'd do anything outrageous, because he'd probably be just as pissed if someone else had done that.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2013, 09:27 AM »
I'm hoping that Michael Giacchino does the music for it. Williams has become to stale with his film scores recently. I want to hear some new music not a rehashed Raiders score like Crystal Skull received.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Guys - there's been a lens flare in SW since the very beginning:

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2013, 10:52 AM »
I think this is generally good news.  I agree that Abrams knows how to bring the emotion and get you caring about the characters.  That's the biggest miss from the prequels for me - the only person I found myself really caring about was Obi-Wan, and that's just credit to Ewan's acting.  It's all still going to depend on where he takes the plot, but whatever he does he's going to do in a big way.  I'm sure the budget is wide open for this project, so I'm trusting that this is going to be good.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2013, 01:00 PM »
Maybe we can have a Star Wars / Star Trek crossover?

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2013, 01:53 AM »
SW.com has officially confirmed Abrams as the director

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2013, 03:29 AM »
SW.com has officially confirmed Abrams as the director

I saw that, too!! It's official!! I'm very excited and I think many of us are breathing a sigh of relief.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2013, 04:01 PM »
Here's hoping he leaves the lens flares at home.

This is blasphemy.  You point a light source at a camera and that's going to reflect around inside the lens... adding lens flares makes his big visual effects scenes and space scenes feel like they were shot with actual cameras instead of being digitally created - to me at least. 

I LOVE that he does that.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:04 PM by Rob »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Sad to hear that we won't be witness to how JJ Abrams would try to shoehorn some lens flare into the Star Wars saga.  :(

You can leave that to Drew Struzan  :P

Struzan....OUT!

The Star Wars one-sheet artist made this statement on his Facebook page:

Misunderstood…

A couple of friends at Disney were fantasizing about the new STAR WARS movies.

"Disney" has said nothing to me and I expect nothing. That a couple of friends were wishing is only an expression of the hope that many are sharing but says nothing regarding the Studio itself. Even if 'they' did ask, which Disney has not, I'd rather leave the new films to the next generation to interpret. I've had my time and they were exceptional blessings for which I will forever be grateful.

Tomorrow is a new day…drew
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback