Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)  (Read 243520 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #165 on: March 9, 2013, 12:11 PM »
I've been reading some of the reaction to the 'casting' of the big three in mainstream media and in some forums and I have to say I'm shocked at how agist some of it is. There's this idea that the three OT stars are too old to 1) carry the movie and/or 2) be any good. I think it's ignorant. I don't believe they will be the main focus of the ST but let's say they were - all three of them have proven in their own way over the last 30 years to be too talented to be treated this way. I doubt any of them will be running around with blasters like back in the day, but you know, SW over the last 15 years hasn't been so good that it's too good for these guys.

If your thing is you don't want to see them because for you they're frozen in time - you don't want them to come back and die, you don't want to spoil your memory of them - I get that. To me that's separate.

I do think there will be a younger generation of heroes. The more I think about it, the more I'm certain (and therefore will be wrong) that the protagonist will be a Solo. Whether he's a he or a she, they're going to be a rogue like dear old dad and will have rejected their legacy (think Cade Skywalker) because it's you know, filled with genocide. As one of Leia's children, they will probably inherit her POV on Vader, which is not as informed as Luke's. Vader stood there and watched as the Empire destroyed her planet. Luke may have saved him, but he may be beyond redemption for her - and as someone who grew up separated from her true legacy, Leia may be intentionally or unintentionally walling off her kids from their past. What conflict this would be with Luke - I'd pay to see it.

It will be the Solo kid's test and Luke's to realize their destiny and do the final accounting on all this Jedi/Sith business.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #166 on: March 9, 2013, 12:31 PM »
I was just thinking how incredibly ageist it was of me to not want to see them back. As long as they're not the focus of the action (running around with blasters and lightsabers and such) like Ford in Indy 4, I'd be OK with this. Not like it's up to me anyway, but...

I really don't like the idea of Han being back, since I think it's happening just so he gets killed off. Again a problem of these characters being frozen in time for me, I guess. Even though I read a bunch of the EU novels in the 90s (giving up around NJO) those never really went 30 years later, and if they have recently, I wouldn't know it.

I do find it strange that one of the complaints about TPM was that Anakin was so young, and now before even a frame has been filmed on the ST, there's complaints about actors being too old.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 9, 2013, 01:20 PM »
I'm not sure it's a case of people thinking that Hammill, Fisher & Ford are all too old for their parts.  We've seen plenty of action / fantasy / sci-fi films over the past decade where some older characters are involved in some intense sequences.  Perhaps modern filmmaking and special effects have made it that much easier to pull that off with an older actor?

I actually think there's a greater potential concern regarding Hammill & Fisher being central parts of the cast when they haven't done a tremendous ammount of feature film work over the past decade plus.  Sure, both have done some television and voice acting.  But I get the sense that both of them may be a little rusty in the on screen acting chops.  I think that concerns about the two of them in that capacity might be a little more well founded.  On that front I suspect that the big three might not be the focus of the sequel trilogy, and a new generation of Skywalkers & Solos may do the heavy lifting in the new trilogy.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2013, 08:36 PM »
While Fisher and Hamill haven't been in major movies in recent years, they've both kept up their performance chops, Hamill with his massive amount of amazing voice acting, and Fisher mostly on the stage. I think they'll both be ok - no way Disney would put all of this money into this new venture and allow it to be a flop.

I'm psyched.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2013, 08:56 PM »
I'm interested...  psyched, I'm not going that far.  I'm definitely interested.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2013, 11:00 AM »

Yeah, I'm reserved.  Kind of a wait-and-see deal.  I guess I'm hoping they don't kill off the heroes, not that they need to be the main focus of the story either.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2013, 11:32 AM »

I'm psyched just along the lines of: Hey - we were promised these movies but they were never supposed to happen, and now here we are. When it comes down to it, they're just movies, and with the people who are behind it, even if they're not as good as the originals (how can they be, really?), they'll be fun movies to go and watch. It's nice to have something to look forward to like that.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2013, 08:45 PM »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 3, 2013, 10:12 AM »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55 PM »
I like Pegg, but if he ends up in the next Star Wars films I hope his character is limited.  I can only take so much of his antics and then it gets to be enough already.  Kind of like when a kid starts acting up.  It's kind of cute and funny for a little while and then it just crosses a line and you just want the kid to settle down or shut up at once. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2013, 09:07 PM »
I like Pegg, but if he ends up in the next Star Wars films I hope his character is limited.  I can only take so much of his antics and then it gets to be enough already.  Kind of like when a kid starts acting up.  It's kind of cute and funny for a little while and then it just crosses a line and you just want the kid to settle down or shut up at once.   

That's everyday in my house.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Luke Skywallker - Jedi Knight

And people wonder why I'm concerned about the original cast returning...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Bill Cable just raped my childhood.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 31, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Maybe he was looking for a roach?  ;)

Would explain the fast food...not so much the littering though.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 31, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Those Jedi cloaks can hide a lot.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours