Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)  (Read 244046 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #435 on: June 3, 2014, 12:33 AM »
I love the McQuarrie nod in the main gate structure
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 3, 2014, 10:34 AM »
I'm not even sold on it being Tatooine yet. All those extras and no Jawas?  Not even one little person? All it would take is a bit of color-tweaking of the sand in post and this could easily be a brand new world.

You're definitely overthinking this.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 3, 2014, 10:50 AM »
I agree on the over-thinking.  If they wanted to go for a different sort of desert location, I imagine they would have sought out a very different sort of landscape.  Geonosis was a desert planet too, but I think it had it's own character that was much more like some of the Southwestern deserts like you would see in places like Arizona or Utah.  But this location very much says Tatooine to me.

Some of the coloring does seem a little different.  But perhaps that's the difference between shooting in Abu Dhabi versus Tunisia?  It's certainly worth noting that JJ Abrams has some history with shooting one of the Mission Impossible films in Abu Dhabi, and it's probably a safe location.  Perhaps safer than Tunisia.  Yeah, Tunisia has been one of the historic locations for most of the Tatooine exteriors.  But following the change in the Tunisian government as a result of the revolution that began there in 2010, I imagine that film production there is more of a dicey proposition.  When you're talking about a production with the scope of Episode VII, I think that the studio wants to make sure that the shoot location is safe.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2014, 10:50 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 3, 2014, 11:17 AM »

You're definitely overthinking this.

;D

Too true. I'm just saying a Tatooine without Jawas would be such a misstep my confidence in the rest of the decisions being made by this production would be horribly shattered.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #439 on: June 3, 2014, 01:33 PM »
I agree doesn't have to be Tatooine. More than likely it is, but could be somewhere else.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 3, 2014, 01:47 PM »
More set pics, featuring an under construction Millenium Falcon.  I would guess that these might be from Pinewood in the UK.

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #441 on: June 3, 2014, 01:50 PM »
More set pics, featuring an under construction Millenium Falcon.  I would guess that these might be from Pinewood in the UK.

Notice the redesigned/modified X-wing?  :o
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 3, 2014, 01:58 PM »
Indeed, along with the warthog/dewback creature.  For me, seeing an under construction Falcon makes this seem very real now.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #443 on: June 3, 2014, 02:32 PM »
Wow wow wow.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #444 on: June 3, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Got to look more closely at that stuff...

I can tell you the engine's "intake" on the X-Wing is HEAVILY modified (IE: a ****load bigger) but the thrusters in the back look the same, as do the cannons on the wingtips.  The nose is truncated and I'd say the ship has an overall more Z-95 feel to it (IE: it looks more like McQuarrie's X-Wing designs), but with sharp angles.

It almost looks like the two intakes are one now and the wings open on the outside of the intakes rather than the intakes mounted on the wings and separating for each engine.  That means the engines are stationary and the wings move alone with only the guns mounted to them.  Interesting and major change to the ship, but yet still keeping it so distinctly similar.

The ship's definitely an evolutionary design forward, and I have to say I kind of love it.  It shows the type of minor steps the tech of Star Wars seems to take as years go by...  Things don't seem to make big leaps in the Star Wars galaxy, haha.

This looks like an X-Wing designed to be faster, more nimble...  Little things like shortening the nose, bigger engines...  They make sense, and can be explained with lots of tech speak as to why they weren't done before but as time goes on they could be done.  I love seeing stuff like that, unlike say the PT ship designs that were picked simply because they looked cool or because their looks bridged the two trilogies but didn't necessarily make a lot of "tech sense".

I am curious to see Walker technology...  or other Rebel Fighters.  Will Y-Wings even be in service?  Will there maybe be a whole new Y-Wing design like the X-Wing's improved design?  Will A-Wings still be in service?  Or the B-Wing?

I'm excited by stuff like this...  It's just the kind of thing that gets me revved up for the new movies.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2014, 03:19 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 4, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I'm surprised the New Republic isn't driving around in newer evolved TIE fighters. Didn't the Empire have the new stuff while the rebels had the old outdated stuff? It seems like the X-Wing would have been discontinued by then. I guess ship design never gets discontinued but evolves instead.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #446 on: June 4, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Think that pig thing is a Womprat?

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 4, 2014, 12:24 PM »
I'm surprised the New Republic isn't driving around in newer evolved TIE fighters. Didn't the Empire have the new stuff while the rebels had the old outdated stuff? It seems like the X-Wing would have been discontinued by then. I guess ship design never gets discontinued but evolves instead.
Perhaps this is Luke's personal ship?

The fact that the Falcon is back AND that they are actually building a full size model for the first time since 1980 make me very happy.  How the Falcon never featured in the prequels still puzzles me.  Obi-Wan should have flown in it, known how fast it was to make his meeting with Han more meaningful.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 4, 2014, 12:33 PM »
A modified X-Wing... so, will Han have modified the Falcon, too?  Or is that piece of junk rusted a bit more after 30 years?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #449 on: June 4, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Taking into account the EU, the X-Wing is a ship under development leading up to ANH, and when the Empire tries to nationalize the company making it the designers bail and take the design and prototypes to the Alliance who then begin manufacturing X-Wings.

Y-Wings are old school ships modified and used by the Alliance...  So is the Z-95 and the T-Wing if you delve further into the EU, and probably a number of other fighters are sprinkled around to various cells and squadrons who are part of the Alliance all around the galaxy.

The X-Wing is a pretty purely Alliance ship then, like the A or B-Wing which the A-Wing is prototyped and in pre-production in the immediate events right before ANH (if you again subscribe to EU) with Yavin even having a couple of the prototype design available to them.  The B-Wing is developed years later as something to assist against the capital ships the Empire deploys in great numbers.

The Empire/ALliance tactics are different (again all EU stuff, but some truth from the film POV) in that the Alliance puts a greater value on their pilots and thus try to develop more costly, but more durable craft...  The Empire use swarm tactics more, though they have and further develop ships as the war escalates to more greatly match (or outmatch) one-on-one what the Alliance puts out against them.

I look at the X-Wing as an evolutionary step forward in the plane's design, kind of like taking the Spitfire and making that next step forward to the Mustang...  Similar, lots of the same principles and design elements, but wholly new when ultimately compared to one another.  Similar to the CW3D Fighters looking like evolutionary steps forward of AOTC design.  Ani's 2D fighter looks (and is labeled) a modification though...  The ROTS Jedi Fighter then seems really like a whole new fighter design, not even really of the same family just the same guys flying them.  The V-Wing, to me, seems more like where the AOTC style Jedi fighters went in terms of evolution, and then those and perhaps the ROTS Jedi fighters wind up converging to see the Empire's TIE fleets grow out of that...  But the Jedi Fighters almost seem to go the way of the dinosaur in a way, just elements go from them to the TIE Fighter, but a whole new Fighter style and design is born and grows along with the Empire's birth.

Again dipping into EU, the X-Wing's design is tied to the Z-95 and other ships in the Incom Corp library...  I figure the X-Wing we see is going to be something we see more than one of.  The time elapsed, it makes sense.  It's something I wish we'd seen more of with the Y-Wing, and wish we'd seen Z-95's, but I guess Lucas didn't agree.  ::)  I personally loved seeing the YW show up in CW3D at least though, in one form or another.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2014, 09:41 PM by Jesse James »