Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)  (Read 245528 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #495 on: July 21, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Some interesting thoughts on the new ship...

-It's shorter than the OT ship.  Snubbier in the nose.  Or so it seems anyway, but it definitely looks a little stumpier with a possibly elongated nosecone.  I don't know what level of effort they're putting into this but in the EU the nosecone housed a lot of the sensors for the OT ship so a larger one is kind of neat to see from a techno babble POV.

-The Landing gear on the wing has as little place to go as on the OT ship, haha.

-The ladder has a door for it to swing into the hull somehow it appears (the ladders on the old one have always been a mystery).  There are also hand holds on the hull now, replacing the need for a "full" ladder up to the cockpit.

-The cockpit itself looked incredibly identical...  That's pretty neat.

-No Astromech can be seen, but the shot doesn't pan backwards enough to see if a port exists even.

-The rear of the hull slopes backward...  Sleeker looking for sure, and pretty different from the bulky hexagonal shape of the original ship's rear hull.

-The wing mechanism still looks confusing but the guns at the wing tips show that the top gun fits inside the lower gun's wing mount somehow.  There's a curve there...  It'd limit the thickness of the wings presumably.  Interesting.  It looks more now like it splits at the engine too, but it's still hard to see.

-I love it. :)  I really do...  I'd buy a scale version of that in a heartbeat.  Not to mention that, and I pray this occurs, but that Pilot's suit over the boots is so much cooler looking and I hope that sticks.  Reminds me of pilots in flight suits in our modern military...  I hope that remains, and we get a nice, awesome, cool figure of a pilot.

But yeah, I love it...  I love the updates.  I love the McQuarrie-ish stylings.  I love it all.  Taking what's old and making it what's actually new and improved.  Pretty shrewd and smart of Abrams IMO.

Oh yeah, and the cargo hold under (and behind?) the cockpit seating area is still there ala the OT.  Very cool.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:13 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 21, 2014, 08:49 PM »
.... I think my favorite part was the Mouse Droid :-X
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 21, 2014, 10:20 PM »
The landing gear/struts is so f'n yesteryear.

I was so excited in the build-up to TPM, but with these reveals, as much as I'm trying to lower my expectations, I can't help but get that same giddy feeling I had as a kid seeing commercials/previews announcing ESB was "coming soon to theater near you".

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #498 on: July 21, 2014, 10:41 PM »
I know man, I was just saying that to someone tonight...  These have to be at least as good as 1-3 at this point...  I can't see them being worse somehow.  I'm trying to aim low but it's hard because the stuff they do reveal, it's pretty damn neat.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 22, 2014, 09:30 AM »

-The wing mechanism still looks confusing but the guns at the wing tips show that the top gun fits inside the lower gun's wing mount somehow.  There's a curve there...  It'd limit the thickness of the wings presumably.  Interesting.  It looks more now like it splits at the engine too, but it's still hard to see.

I don't see how the wings split. There is no line on the actual wing. The back landing gear would have room to go inside the wings if they didn't split.
I don't think the ship takes an astromech. They would have shown a happy R2 unit up there if it did just to take us all freak out.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #500 on: July 22, 2014, 10:27 AM »

I don't see how the wings split. There is no line on the actual wing. The back landing gear would have room to go inside the wings if they didn't split.
I don't think the ship takes an astromech. They would have shown a happy R2 unit up there if it did just to take us all freak out.

They split like this:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:28 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #501 on: July 22, 2014, 04:04 PM »
Yeah the curve on the blasters was what tipped me that the wings definitely separate but that's a good graphic Jayson...  Really shows how the wings probably do fold into one another ultimately.  Cuts down on the bulk of the old ship's wing style.

Still wondering where those landing gear are supposed to go, lol.  Then again they didn't make a lot of sense in the old design either.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #502 on: July 25, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Mark Hamill at the London premiere of Guardians of the Galaxy the other day:

Luke has evidently turned into quite the strange old hermit himself. Either that, or Hamill is also shooting a Ted Kaczynski biopic.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #503 on: August 11, 2014, 11:40 PM »
Remember when Tom Hodges leaked all of those images in the Rebelscum chat room for Episode III?  Well he's at it again #cantkeepasecret

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/08/artist-tom-hodges-shares-interprative-sketch-star-wars-episode-vii-stormtrooper/

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 12, 2014, 12:31 AM »
I like how someone points out that it looks a little like a duck (because it does...), to which Hodges replies that it is a HELMET and therefore looks nothing like a duck.

For an alleged artist, that guy has no imagination.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:32 AM by Rob »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #505 on: August 12, 2014, 01:29 AM »
Howard the Duck nod in this new film?  Maybe.  :-*

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 12, 2014, 02:47 AM »
That guy sounds like a tool. Is he the same guy who used to post on Rebelscum and then got a big head because he was hired to draw a lame comic on starwars.com?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #507 on: August 12, 2014, 03:13 AM »
 :-X

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #508 on: August 12, 2014, 06:52 AM »
Mr. Hodges future access to LFL is about to be severely limited methinks.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #509 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58 AM »
I'm not exactly sure how he didn't get in trouble last time.  That incident also got Chris Berry a call from LFL lawyers...greatest (and scariest) day in JD history!

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=3555.30

Ps I was in that chatroom the night that doofus shared those pics and saved them all for the site.  Independently this guy Dutch Cattle also sent them to Chris.  We used him as a scapegoat  :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:02 AM by Scott »