Multimedia > The Original Trilogy

Force Lightning

<< < (3/4) > >>

Jesse James:
If you follow EU they basically say it's not a technique taught to Jedi for the above mentioned reasons, more or less, but anyone is able to basically learn it IIRC, but it dances close to the darkside to do so.  Windu supposedly walks a thin line between the light and dark, at times.

Nicklab:
Another reason why I think Yoda wouldn't have taught Luke about Force lightning?  It's very simple:  Anakin.  Yoda knows that Luke is Anakin's son.  And he openly expressed reservations of Obi-Wan's Force Spirit about training Luke, citing similarities between Luke and Anakin.  So with that in mind, why would he teach him about Dark Side powers when he's still a Jedi apprentice?  Why would he risk that when he saw the slaughter that Anakin led at the Jedi Temple?

JediJman:

--- Quote from: Nicklab on November 15, 2012, 05:48 PM ---Another reason why I think Yoda wouldn't have taught Luke about Force lightning?  It's very simple:  Anakin.  Yoda knows that Luke is Anakin's son.  And he openly expressed reservations of Obi-Wan's Force Spirit about training Luke, citing similarities between Luke and Anakin.  So with that in mind, why would he teach him about Dark Side powers when he's still a Jedi apprentice?  Why would he risk that when he saw the slaughter that Anakin led at the Jedi Temple?

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I follow.  Do you think Yoda wouldn't have taught him in case it led Luke to the dark side?  He does tell Luke about the light and dark, so I don't know why any particular aspect of the force would be hush hush.  If Yoda was that fearful of Luke turning to the dark side, I think he would have pushed harder not to train Luke at all.  Yoda knows that Luke is their best hope to defeat the Emperor and Vader, so why wouldn't you tell your #1 guy about a defense against a secret weapon that could defeat him? 

Honestly, if you want to believe he doesn't know then I think a more likely scenario would be that Yoda just didn't get around to it because Luke simply left too soon.

Nicklab:
Yoda has seen one Skywalker fall to the Dark Side, and with dire consequences.  He knows who he is training.  And he even asks the spirit of Obi-Wan if Luke will complete his training, suggesting that otherwise he may rush off an be tempted to somehow join his Sith father.

These reservations that Yoda may have about Luke, and the relatively brief time that he had to train him are the likely reasons why Yoda never trained him to defend himself against Force lightning.

JediJman:

--- Quote from: Nicklab on November 15, 2012, 06:15 PM ---These reservations that Yoda may have about Luke, and the relatively brief time that he had to train him are the likely reasons why Yoda never trained him to defend himself against Force lightning.

--- End quote ---

I still don't see what defending yourself against force lightning has to do with the dark side.  I didn't get the impression that Mace using his saber or Yoda using his hand to repel the force lightning caused them to tap into dark energies.  How would telling Luke about it and showing him how to defend against it lead him to the dark side?

Luke: Is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
Luke: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?
Yoda: You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Yoda is very clear about using powers for defense and distinguishing between using the force for good or evil.  Given his dialogue, he could very easily follow the above with "by the way, the Emperor seems old and weak but he can shoot lightning out his fingertips."  Whether he did so or not, I don't see any reason to purposely hide it from Luke or any way that drives Luke to the dark.

Now, I can totally see where Yoda just didn't get to it because Luke left too soon or he prioritized other aspects of the training over the force lightning defense or Luke just isn't strong enough in the force yet to handle it, so he doesn't even go there.  In fact, the more I think about it I wonder if Yoda even thought Luke would be confronting the Emperor.  He seems to be preparing him to face Vader and maybe he figured if Luke survived that, then he and Obi could further instruct Luke on how to handle the Emperor. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version