Author Topic: $5 Vintage Collection @ Five Below  (Read 38398 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: $5 Vintage Collection @ Five Below
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2013, 05:22 PM »
I think, and I obviously rarely shut up about it, that Hasbro should aim for $8 for "collector-targeted" 3.75" figures...  abandon SA all around, go back to 2006-2007 model...  2006-2007, figures went well.  Sales were brisk.  Lines were all popular.

No pack-in gimmick?  Fine...  I'd dig seeing things go that route though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2013, 06:14 PM »
I wouldn't say abandon SA altogether.  Keep them on main characters (heroes, troopers, baddies) but the 15th Cantina alien or other background character doesn't need SA for sure.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Doesn't matter, until they reduce production costs (relocating production facilities), things will get higher. Saga Legends will be $7 a figure by 2015 (or sooner).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:18 PM by Scockery »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2013, 06:23 PM »
If they're still 10, cutting some major tooling out would help...  And that's what I meant Siddy, not dropping all SA, but making it more selective.

Again (and again, and again) I go to the POTC...  Was anyone bummed that Myo was as he was?  Or the Gotal?  Or Dannik Jerriko?  Angle-cut elbows are even good, to me, and non-ball jointed shoulders sometimes.  I think the sweet spot is $8.  $10's clearly not cutting it.

Buy yourself time to not have dismal years and look at moving production.  I don't know that they're even remotely considering moving production from China though, at all.  We think they should, but they may have things too tied up there to make it worth moving.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2013, 12:23 AM »
$8 would be great, with a fair mix of some SA figures and some that are lower quality... I've be happy with that. 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 2, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Just hit up the Austin grand opening of Five Below and disappointing is an understatement. No Star Wars whatsoever outside of some puzzles, cards and shirts. Only action figures they had were two pegs of Thor and Iron Man 2 wave one figures from way back when.

Although apparently another store opened across town at the same time. I'll be TICKED if I find out they had cheap vintage figures.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 2, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm starting to think those earlier Malgus sightings were just a fluke, and no "magic wheelbarrow of Malgi and INC goodness" is actually going to materialize after all.  :(

Not sure what they would be waiting for...it's officially back to school season and all.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 2, 2013, 01:58 PM »
It's really hard to say - how many cases of the Malgus wave made it to retail that Hasbro intended and how many got bought up by Five Below?  I have no clue.  I've gone back the same store twice now and they haven't put more out. 

If anything, I'd expect to see more of the Starkiller wave later at discounters - that's the wave that had the lowest distribution from what I've seen... so there's got to be a lot of that just waiting to get through a distributor.

But Discover the Force?  They seem to have an unlimited supply at Five Below!  The Tusken, Destroyer Droid and Astromech move really fast.  The other figures, not so much.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: August 2, 2013, 05:28 PM »
Have they reset the wheelbarrow displays from BTS?  If not then there isn't a toy reset for them yet.  IIRC last year the TVC didn't hit those displays till far later than August.  I think it may yet happen...  Hard to say which waves would surface but I think it will.  I highly doubt one store in the country got wave 3 in and that's all she wrote. :p

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 2, 2013, 08:42 PM »
You're probably right, Jesse.  Right now all the wheelbarrows in my 'home' store have summer fun toys.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: August 2, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Yeah mine are the same.  5belows kind of like Target in that resets are pretty clockwork and happen round the country.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #101 on: August 2, 2013, 11:12 PM »
Two stores near where I live in the Chicago burbs did get the Malgus wave, but eachno longer had the Malgus or INCs. A couple of CW Anakins and a Hoth Luke, but in the end mostly TPM figures. I figure each store got 5 cases of the wave based on the number of TPM figures.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 5, 2013, 04:51 PM »
I highly doubt one store in the country got wave 3 in and that's all she wrote. :p

There were actually quite a few reports of the Malgus wave hitting 5 Below that same week in different parts of the country as reported by comments on the Yakface FB page.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 5, 2013, 08:51 PM »
Went by that same Five Below after work, and they must have put out another 4-5 cases over the weekend. 

Someone gobbled up the Malgus figures, but I found two Navy Commanders and bought them both for customs, and two Hoth Lukes for customs.  They had at least 3-4 more Lukes and close to 10 of the Clone Wars Anakin (hate that figure). 

So they are restocking - at least in my area. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: August 5, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I have a feeling more is coming soon.  Resets at 5 Below SHOULD be happening before too long actually.