Author Topic: NHL Offseason 2013  (Read 11522 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL Offseason 2013
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 05:02 PM »
If Malkin's story is true, he won't...  He played the KHL and hated every second in it.  He's really notoriously quiet here, and is relatively left alone because Crosby takes all the heat/questions and the local reporters know Malkin likes to be basically left alone to his own devices.

Supposedly that was a big reason he wanted to stay here and worked out something to do so that wasn't as much as he could've made going anywhere else.  Anyway though, he was, I guess, hounded in the KHL by media and it really bugged him.  I hope that remains true.

That's what I have read anyway...  take it for what it is.  I'm hopeful he doesn't decide to pull a move like that.  I think it was pretty BS on Kovalchuk's part.  He always seemed like he had no heart anyway, IMO.  Maybe he just really was missing his home/family though?  Who knows.  I know Malkin did but his mother/father come here and stay with him frequently.  They're kind of local celebs and sit with season ticket holders they've become close to or something...  His mother's Borscht recipe has become a kind of local thing at some restaurants too.  It's goofy.  :-\

Ultimately you never know what these guys are thinking though, and tax free in Russia's awful tempting for those guys...  You'd think they'd want to play where the real competition is though, and it's not there.  Maybe I put too much stock in the whole, "I want to compete at the highest level and win at the highest level" thing I figure athletes have ingrained in them.  Maybe just wishful thinking.  It's really disappointing though, to see quality players leave over basically money and maybe a tinge of homesickness?

I tend to ignore national media except some Canadian news...  I prefer local guys, and I doubt they beat this topic to death, but I'll let you know if it comes up again and again...  One local show/group I kinda like, I bet it does. :P  One A-Hole I can't stand on the radio station here that carries Pens games, Mark Madden, I bet brings this subject up...  a lot...  but I don't listen to him much.  He's a huge jagoff.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:06 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 07:22 PM »
It's really disappointing though, to see quality players leave over basically money and maybe a tinge of homesickness?

They've gotten the (re)call from Putin.  ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 08:07 PM »
In Burmistrov's case there was a conflict as well with our current coach. 

I suspect he was only offered a two year deal, similar to what Bogosian got two years ago.  Basically a show us what you got type of contract - decent money, short term.  I'm sure in the case of Burmistrov he looked at his situation and figured if he was going to get that type of contract with a coach he didn't like, he might as well go to the K, develop there and make more money doing it while hoping that Noel is gone when he comes back in a year or two, which might well be true.  Claude Noel was only extended for a single year, so that doesn't really bode well.  My expectation is we don't make the playoffs this year again and Noel is gone, so it may be safe for Burmi then.  He does need to develop and grow up maturity wise though.

As for the Devils, they can have their pick back as long as Kovalchuk does not return and play for them in the future.  At least that's my opinion.  No sympathy for the devil(s) otherwise, you sign the contract as a GM you deserve what happens. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Read an interesting article about Malkin's experiences over there...  the intimidation that happens and stuff.  He actually brought his brother over here with his parents like he does every year before the playoffs, and did it because threats had been made in the past to his family for not signing with the KHL.

He brought them over so he could negotiate his extension they got done in a quick 5 days...  local reporter says that was very deliberate on both party's parts, and so was bringing his bro over for the visit this year.  Crazy ****.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 04:44 PM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Lmao

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 03:05 PM »
LOL at Jesse's team being in the "Metropolitan" division. 

They got the West names right (Pacific/Central), but the East?  How do they use the "Atlantic" division name for the group with no former Atlantic division teams in it (and only 2 of the 8 teams actually on the Atlantic :P)?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 03:20 PM »
We're classy. :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 11:12 PM »
What an ... odd .... schedule.  I don't know why, but I was expecting three and three with central teams.  Obviously didn't think it through too well.

I'm going to miss the East.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 06:33 PM »
Metropolitan?  What a stupid name.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 9, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Took a while longer than usual (thanks Glendale  ::)), but finally got my confrmation for my season tix package renewal last week. 

Once again, my dad and I are thinking of a Road Trip to the Great White North...  maybe this year we'll actually do it. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 06:51 PM »
Once again, my dad and I are thinking of a Road Trip to the Great White North...  maybe this year we'll actually do it. :P

I thought we had a good thing going Jeff... :'(

Maybe next year, we can make Brent drive down here to Minny to pick me up, then the two of us can stop in WI and pick you up on the way to Chicago for a game.   :D

Count me in!  You guys tell me the game and I'll handle the tickets.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Y'know, I just did that drive about two weeks ago.  Came home straight from Madison so add a little time to get to/back from Chicago.  In winter?  Not so sure anymore.  Pretty long drive really. 

Took a while longer than usual (thanks Glendale  ::)), but finally got my confrmation for my season tix package renewal last week. 

Yeesh, we got billed for this year's season tickets before last season was over.  Final payment of three is processed on Friday of this week. 

Three Wild games up here this year plus a pre-season as well.  Odds are I'll be at one of them.