Author Topic: NHL 2013  (Read 40093 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2013
« Reply #150 on: June 6, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Ouch. That was the proverbial heartbreaking knife to the heart.

Go Original 6 Finals! Come on, Blackhawks!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #151 on: June 6, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I bet all those people who were voting Letang for Norris are feeing pretty bad about it right now.  :P

Jesse J, what the hell happened to your Pens?  At first I wanted to blame Vokoun for his melt-down, but if you guys can only manage 2 goals in three games, I can't really blame him that much.

Oh well, at least I have the consolation of knowing that my other Jesse friend will be happy with the outcome. :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #152 on: June 6, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Totally not goaltending...  Yinzers everywhere are trying to blame it as the Fleury/Vokoun collapse, but it's far from it.  Game 2, you could say some soft **** went by but look at how everyone out in front played?  Game 1 wasn't much better.  It's less an offensive collapse as a team defense collapse...  There's no puck control from that.  Turnovers galore.  They feed off defensive zone turnovers and breakouts, but our team D just disappeared and so went the rest of the game plan then.

Oh and I'd be the first to tell you, the Norris is a joke when they base it on points, which they seem to all the time.  I bitched up a storm about Letang being a finalist...  Suban's dirty but at least he's pretty solid defensively generally (not this playoff so much, but usually).  Letang had a decent defensive regular season but in the playoffs he's been ****.  I'd rather see the Norris represented by guys that were shut-down guys.

But you have to look at Bylsma too.  The dude puts Letang with Niskanen ALL the time, and that's like saying, "Eh, let's put all this C4 in with all this pure Nitroglycerine and put it in that rickety truck to haul it".  They've sucked together at any given moment, but Bylsma REFUSED to break them up.  Letang should always be with a better defensive partner.  Hell, even Engelland.

I'm over their **** this year though.  So sound last series, tightened up in Round 1, and just threw it out the window in Round 3.  Don't worry Jesse, you guys sweep tomorrow.

I think the Pens played a good game again last night, tons of chances, far better defense, but the bounces weren't going their way for sure, and at some point you have to bury the rebounds, and get it that inch to the left/right you need to NOT hit the post.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2013, 02:29 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 6, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Totally not goaltending...  Yinzers everywhere are trying to blame it as the Fleury/Vokoun collapse, but it's far from it. 

The goaltending hasn't been good, but with two goals scored through three games, it should be pretty clear to everyone that there are bigger problems.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2013, 04:01 PM by Rob »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #154 on: June 6, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Hell, even the goaltending in 1 was great...  They gave up some in 3rd, one arguably soft one, but nothing major.  And Game 2, there was ZERO defense...  There've been barely any soft goals this series from the Pens goalies.  You can directly link any goal they've given up to stupid f'n turnovers.  Many, directly from Letang himself, but there's also lots of other blame to pass around.

Offense isn't as much the problem as Rask is pretty solid (he's weak up top though, but the Pens are clanging pipes left and right, or just not getting the shots there), they're blocking like machines, and like I said, the Penguins system is built from breakouts, puck control, etc.  When they don't do that, they lose...  It starts from the D out, and Defensively they didn't get it done in 1 & 2.  Last night they did, played a great game, and lost.  If they'd won 1 or 2, this series is clearly a night and day scenario...  They lost 1 & 2, and now 3 they could've easily won but **** happens and they're on the verge of the first sweep since I believe 78.  :-\

I honestly think Malkin's gone if the series ends tomorrow...  Think they trade for picks and prospects to a team desperate for that #1 guy...  He's a performer, especially when he's the top billing.  I think they look for future building around Crosby as a vet and keeping some of the FA's I don't think they can afford to lose like Dupuis who's a steal right now, Cooke who's a 2-way machine, etc.  I think Bylsma should be very afraid of his job going too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2013, 08:20 AM »
I'm pretty shocked that the B's took the series in 4.  That last 2 minutes of game 4 was awesome to watch.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2013, 09:36 AM »
Really getting nervous for this series.  I believe the Blackhawks can win, they just need to get some scoring from all their lines like they did during the regular season.  Hoping this one doesn't end in a sweep of the Blackhawks like the Bruins did to the Pens.  However, if the Bruins do end up winning, then they will have beaten both Division favorites to do it.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2013, 11:30 AM »
B's in 6
Common sense isn't so common

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2013, 11:05 PM »
3-3 heading into OT, series is shaping up to be as awesome as advertised. Playoff hockey always seems to peak at just the right time.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2013, 10:47 AM »
I believe the Blackhawks can win, they just need to get some scoring from all their lines like they did during the regular season.  Hoping this one doesn't end in a sweep of the Blackhawks like the Bruins did to the Pens.

Scoring from Shaw, Bolland, Saad, Oduya.  Other lines contributing - check
Hawks up 1-0.  No sweep - check

Holy crap that was exciting to watch!  It's hard not to be biased in the review, but I thought the Hawks did a better job in regulation (almost 2-1 SOG) and the Bruins dominated the OT's.  That was definitely one that could have gone either way, and appeared as though it was going to go Boston's way twice on those two post shots in OT.  I was surprised that the Hawks came out hitting; that is definitely not their game. I think it showed too as they went down early and had to fight back just to tie it up.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series (although I'm still nervous about the Hawks chances).  I think that the teams were evenly matched in most of the stats yesterday, so this series is probably going to come down to the lucky deflections off posts, skates and legs...

Any of you Boston fans know what happened to Horton?  From the replays it looked like he hurt himself pushing one of the Hawks and not due to a hit.  Pierre was also speculating that he was playing with an upper body injury.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2013, 11:23 AM »
It's hard not to be biased in the review, but I thought the Hawks did a better job in regulation (almost 2-1 SOG) and the Bruins dominated the OT's.  That was definitely one that could have gone either way, and appeared as though it was going to go Boston's way twice on those two post shots in OT.

I felt the same basically... First period was Boston's, the next two were Chicago's.  There were about 5 or 6 times where Crawford was on his ass flailing around and Boston couldn't score... the Bruins probably should have come away with a win there - but I'm glad it worked out how it did.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2013, 01:22 PM »
There were about 5 or 6 times where Crawford was on his ass flailing around and Boston couldn't score... the Bruins probably should have come away with a win there - but I'm glad it worked out how it did.

I was watching the local post-game afterward and one of the reports asked Crawford, "Do you ever think to yourself while you're playing 'How did that shot not go in?!'"  I was actually surprised at his composure in answering the question, considering he had to be exhausted, but he basically came back with, 'I don't let doubt enter into my mind when I'm out there.'  This is much different from the Crawford from last year's playoffs.  Last year, he would have been done after that second or third goal.  He's definitely a much more confident player this year and is probably the main reason why the Hawks have done as well as they have this post season.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Imagine if we get 6 or 7 games of that caliber?  Whew!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2013, 11:43 PM »
I'm STILL exhausted from that game.  Even though the end score isn't what I wanted, it was entertaining hockey and will be a hell of a series.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2013, 11:54 PM »
I don't think I can take much more of this...  Crazy game tonight; could have gone either way.  Could have easily seen this heading back to Chicago with Boston up 3-1.  This has definitely been an entertaining and stressful series thus far.