Author Topic: NHL 2013  (Read 40072 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2013
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Poor bastard B's fans that left when the Leafs scored that fourth goal...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2013, 09:44 AM »
Rangers handled the Caps pretty darn well. 5-0.   Ovechkin held to 1 goal in the whole series.  I think the Caps were all about getting hits than shots on goals last night.  And the refs just let them play.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Crap! Canada or Pittsburgh. Crap
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Rangers handled the Caps pretty darn well. 5-0.   Ovechkin held to 1 goal in the whole series.  I think the Caps were all about getting hits than shots on goals last night.  And the refs just let them play.

Pentalty minutes since Caps went up 2-0:

Rangers - 22
Caps - 56

Ovi called it right afterwards...just sayin'
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2013, 06:57 AM »
The Caps have a major problem with series play.  If the playoffs were a series of games against different teams, they could do well (ie. a different opponent every night).  They pulled off numerous winning streaks during the season.  Once they have to play the same team for seven games, they fall apart, especially in game 7's.  Monday was like the Pittsburgh series all over again.  The refs may have been a bit biased, but you still have to score.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:57 AM by EdSolo »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Actually in game 2, the refs missed quite a few obvious penalties against the Caps, especially the delay of game which they ended up calling against the Rangers which let the Caps even the score.

Ovi maybe called it right, but maybe the Caps were committing more penalties, too... just sayin'  ;)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Possibly, but the Caps had more penalties on average called against them as compared to any team in the playoffs.  To me, game 6 looked liked the refs were trying to push the series to 7 games.  Still, it is all on the Caps that they are abysmal in game 7's, especially on home ice.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2013, 11:42 AM »
Monday was like the Pittsburgh series all over again.  The refs may have been a bit biased, but you still have to score.

Really?  I thought the refs let them play.  I believe there was what 3 or 4 penalties called and there should have been tons more.  There was a missed elbow call, a few hookings, slashing, roughings, etc.  I just think the refs didn't want to influence the outcome of the game.

But you're right.  Teams have to score.  When both teams have some of their top scorers not making goals, it takes a lot for the others to step up.  There were some great (hell, awesome) scoring chances on both sides that Lundqvist and Holtby stopped.  Those two really made the series (even if Holtby let 5 by in game 7). 

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Monday was like the Pittsburgh series all over again.  The refs may have been a bit biased, but you still have to score.

Really?  I thought the refs let them play.  I believe there was what 3 or 4 penalties called and there should have been tons more.  There was a missed elbow call, a few hookings, slashing, roughings, etc.  I just think the refs didn't want to influence the outcome of the game.

But you're right.  Teams have to score.  When both teams have some of their top scorers not making goals, it takes a lot for the others to step up.  There were some great (hell, awesome) scoring chances on both sides that Lundqvist and Holtby stopped.  Those two really made the series (even if Holtby let 5 by in game 7).

I'm comparing the penalties in game 6 versus 7.  There seemed to be a higher than average rate of calls against the Caps in game 6 that the refs let go in game 7.  There didn't seem to be any balance.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2013, 04:20 PM »
Right, agree with Ed. The Caps definitely deserve their share of blame, for sure. But it seemed like the refs made it a lot harder than it probably should have been.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2013, 08:22 AM »
That swagger is what has me worried.  The Wild seemed to have their way with the Blackhawks as far as hits were concerned, and Detroit is only going to be hitting harder.  Although Chicago swept them during the regular series, I could easily see this one going 6 or 7.

At this point in time, I'd be elated for the series to make it to a Game 6.  The Hawks top line needs to step it up if they are going to end up winning the series.  They got away with mediocre performance during the Wild series, but it is costing them right now.  Oh, and Howard has had two great back-to-back performances in net for the Wings.  You don't know how hard it is for me to type that compliment...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Yeah, that Detroit swagger is in full effect.  I don't think Harding/Kuemper get that "Goalie Interference" call last night.  That no goal call was pretty bogus, seemed like a make-up for the boarding in the other end.  That no goal call was killer to you guys last night as it gave the Red Wings a total momentum swing.

That said, I think the B'hawks are still underperforming, especially Toews.  I guess that's the price for coasting in and not really being challenged earlier in the year.  You guys were just lucky that we're light on finishers or you might not have even made it past round 1. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2013, 10:55 PM »
Yeah, that Detroit swagger is in full effect.  I don't think Harding/Kuemper get that "Goalie Interference" call last night.  That no goal call was pretty bogus, seemed like a make-up for the boarding in the other end.  That no goal call was killer to you guys last night as it gave the Red Wings a total momentum swing.

Totally agree.  That was a crap call, especially since Shaw was knocked down prior to the shot and had two guys on top of him when the puck went into the net.

They really need to get their heads out of their pads if they are going to win another game.  If it's not the underperformance of their top line, then it's the turnovers that are leading to additional chances for Detroit.  I know that Crawford is taking some heat for his GAA going up in the last two games, but what I think gets lost is how many times he's been put into bad positions and ends up pulling saves out of nowhere.  They can't keep asking him to stand on his head game after game...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Watched Jesse's Pens dismantle the Sens tonight.  Yeesh.  Whatever Bylsma (or whoever) said to them in that first intermission must have worked because they looked like a different team in the 2nd/3rd.

I saw Alfredsson ask for the puck after his goal... might be his last, I guess. :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2013, 07:42 AM »
I'd like to see Alfredsson's Sens make it further in the playoffs, but I just don't see them getting past the Pens, they're just too powerful.