Community > Joe Defender

GI Joe Convention 2013

<< < (2/6) > >>

efranks:
I'm not as excited about this set as I was last year with the Oktober Guard.  I'm waiting to see what they have in the 12" set before I make a final decision.

E...

Ben:
Everything in the set's been revealed now. Really liking Asp, Repeater, and Spearhead, but man, was Hit & Run a miss. The SAW Viper isn't really doing anything for me either.

I'm wondering if I should skip this set and wait for ARAH-colored Joes in a future FSS and just buy a Frag-Viper off ebay.

efranks:
I know Hit & Run probably isn't what most wanted but I think he looks pretty good.  Seems like they chose some good parts for him.  Spearhead isn't bad and I think they picked some good parts for Repeater...love that gun.  The Joes are all pretty solid (I'm cool on Charbroil though).

And I dig the female characters so I'm liking Crimson ASP.  I'm not feeling the other Cobra characters, though.  Letal, especially, is just way too green and out there for me. 

It's hard to decide if I want to spring $360 for this set when I really probably only want 4 of the figures.  And since I'd be getting the boxed set, it's not like I'm going to split them up.  Besides, I don't know if the figs I dislike would even generate enough interest to make it worth selling.

I'm still waiting to see the 12" set...they better post that before the registration goes live because I'm not buying, or passing on, a set that I haven't seen.

On the plus side, if the artwork that HissTank pointed out the other day is right, we'll probably see a female Joe pilot as a souvenir.

E...

Paul:
I'm not going again this year (they seem to enjoy having this thing on the weekend closest to my kids' birthdays).

That Night Force Repeater is a thing of beauty though.

Scockery:
I'm far from being a GI JOE collector anymore. But I see that SAW-Viper and think "I wouldn't even pay regular retail for that". The Frag Viper and Letal look like they are wearing spandex. Frag Viper was an oddball trooper and they've made them a little odder.

Some of the Joes look fairly good, but overall, I think it's a weak set this year. They used to be more creative, but there's a problem with alienating fans by having too much newness. So filling in gaps with  less popular cobra army builders, vintage subteam figures and oddball foreign characters that have yet to have modern versions.

Also, Cobra women always look like Baroness wannabes, except Zarana and Zanya. Sure they are limited by existing molds, but I think there's enough parts to do something different.

But anyway, this set's not for me. I'm just at best, a casual enthusiast of GI JOE.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version