Author Topic: Toy Fair 2013  (Read 28891 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Toy Fair 2013
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:37 PM »

Well, Toy Fair is a few weeks away (Sat. Feb 9).  I'm not sure what to expect.  Hopefully, we'll get some answers as to what's going on with the SW line.  Anyways, I thought I'd open a thread here. 

I'll be helping JD out with TF again, so if you have questions that you'd like us to ask a Hasbro rep, feel free to put it here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:56 PM by Scott »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Fair 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:17 PM »
It won't be answered but I hope someone asks about the declining quality of plastic/paint, specifically on the first wave of 2013 Class I vehicles. The ships look like they're cheap Happy Meal toys and the paint on the figures is awful. The Yoda's eyes are painted on his cheeks... that's worse than the Indiana Jones line
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Sadly I think paint ops are only going to get worse. :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 10:39 PM »
I would like to know if any new battle-packs are planned for 2013 or if that niche is officially dead.

Would also like to know the fate of the updated battle droid for the TCW line that was originally shown last year but seems to be missing from Wave 1 now.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 12:42 AM »
The paint was bad last year on the Republic Attack Fighter with Anakin (that was last year, right?), Anakin's face was terrible on the few examples I saw.

IIRC, they said any Battle Packs would be exclusives from here on. (hey, were's Battlefields of Naboo?  :P )

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 01:06 AM »
Since the whole line is starting from scratch, I don't even know what to ask them.  Perhaps, "WTF?"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:11 AM »
Hah.

Hasbro - "Yes, we're really pleased with what we have shown with our Star Wars brand going forward.  We'd now like to open up to a brief Q&A period.  Yes, you in the black shirt with the haircut, start us off please."

Black shirt guy with the haircut - "Yeah, so, WTF?"

Hasbro - "I'm sorry, but is that to something specific?"

Black shirt guy with the haircut - "No, just a general 'WTF?' to all things Star Wars, by Hasbro, and thank you for your time responding."

And Scockery is right...  At some point this past year, they did announce that the Class I's were kind of supplanting their battlepack format I believe.  To be honest, I'm glad.  The battlepacks had been killed at this point.  If they're going to do multi-packs at all I'd prefer seeing them go exclusive since those have been quite superior to anything else.  Price hasn't always been great but sales usually helped that along, and no battlepack really had anything great in it for the price either.  So to that end, I'm glad they're dead.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:13 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 01:13 AM »
Exactly!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Here's a Q "I was reading that Iron Man figures were going to be 6:00, and have less articulation.  Is this the way that SW is going?"

Personally, if they did this with style, like the Bespin Luke fro the recent Battle Pack, I'd be ok with it.  If they made the main line, simpler, and more cost effective, and then 20-25 Vintage style figures a year, I think that would be good.

Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:35 AM »
But you know they will make it 6 points, add no accessories and raise the price a dollar.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I'd gladly accept reduced price and articulation in the Clone Wars line if they would just improve the goddang figure choices.   Bo Katan at 5POA is a hell of a lot better than no Bo Katan at all.

Adam makes a great point in his Q&A column this week, whoever looked at that design of Darth Maul with Mando legs and figured it would not make a compelling choice for a figure should just be fired on the spot.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 11:50 AM »
Those Iron Man Assembler figures with swappable arms and stuff? Still $9.99 according to a press release.

So, advocating less articulation, you'll get it. But less price, not likely.

UK Toy Fair news, Anakin to Vader figure has been "revealed", artwork only picture so far.

http://yakfaceforums.com/main/2013/01/22/new-anakin-to-vader-figure-wins-best-new-toy-award-at-toy-fair-2013/

Is it 3 3/4"? Wonder if it uses the Iron Man Assembler system?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:59 AM by Scockery »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 11:56 AM »
To me, I like the articulation.  Granted not every figure needs 10+ POA... I would be happy with a Sim Aloo with 5ish POA so that he is consistent with the other 2 dignitaries released (we never see them do anything but stand besides descending the ramp of the Emperor's shuttle.  Padmes, senators, handmaidens and backrground characters don't need to be super articulated.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 12:21 PM »
Here are a few questions I have if you have an opportunity to ask them...

1.) What exactly can we expect to see for Hasbro Star Wars this year?  With the loss of Build-A-Droid, it seems like there is very little coming our way in the near future.  Is this just the lull before the movie years or is there something new on the horizon.

2.) Is Hasbro familiar with Medicom's Kubrick line of figures?  These have been fan favorites, but production has died off in the last year or two.  I know it's a long shot, but does Hasbro have any plans to produce something similar or any other new non-standard ( 3 & 3/4") lines of figures?

3.) Is there any chance we will see a return of the comic packs in the near future?  These seem to be selling well in the Marvel Universe line and there are some great new characters to be made from some of the great Dark Horse material and other sources in recent years.

4.) There still appears to be strong demand for some kind of modular Death Star playset.  Can you tell us if anything like this is on the horizon or even under consideration? 

Thanks Steve,
Justin
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 12:35 PM »
It won't be answered but I hope someone asks about the declining quality of plastic/paint, specifically on the first wave of 2013 Class I vehicles. The ships look like they're cheap Happy Meal toys and the paint on the figures is awful. The Yoda's eyes are painted on his cheeks... that's worse than the Indiana Jones line

I couldn't agree more. I've passed on all the new deluxes - the vehicles look awful in person.  The only one that I am remotely considering getting is the MTT set.