Author Topic: 6 Inch Figures?  (Read 46879 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Inch Figures?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 02:30 PM »
And how are R2 and Yoda 6" figures... They'll be 4"ers.  ;)  I guess Chewie will be 7 or 8.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 03:25 PM »
I was discussing this with a friend today and our feeling was that, for 20 bucks a figure, they had better include every conceivable accessory that the character had (removable helmets/switchable heads, multiple weapons, lightsabers AND lightsaber hilts, cloth robes/capes, and so forth) and that, for a character like R2-D2 or Yoda who are, as P-Siddy noted, much smaller than other characters, they should come with an even larger number of accessories.

The real ideal, I think, would be if they did a build-a-figure aspect of this and included the smaller characters in pieces.  Namely, you do a wave 1 with Maul, Luke, Sandtrooper (ugh, why not a regular Stormtrooper?), and someone else, and have each include a piece of R2-D2.  Ditto with wave 2: four figures, with extra parts to build a Yoda.  Wave 3 could be someone like R5-D4 or a Jawa.  That way, you're making each figure as important as the next, and offering something cool as a pack-in along with the higher price.

Just a thought.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 04:28 PM »
I think Luke looks absolutely stunning, as he should since 6" is almost doubling the scale...  If you were doing on-par, you'd be doing a massive disservice to collectors.  The helmet's deco is everything I WISH we'd get with any friggin' X-Wing Pilot in the 3.75" line.  They half ass the helmet decoes anymore.

Accessories are slim...  I agree with other sentiments there, that they should include extras.  A removable pistol holster/gunslinger belt would go a long way I think, and let you clip a saber hilt and holster the blaster.  A 2nd either worried, or "smiling" head would have been cool.

The price, like above I think for $20 you deserve more.  I'm not buying these...  I think they look good and if I hadn't spent since the late 80's/early 90's buying 3.75" stuff that I'd be interested slightly, but not too much.  The price would make me selective.  No PT at all even if I was considering them.

As it stands now, I'll get Bossk if they make him.  Tarkin perhaps, but not sure.

The wording in the story, disturbs me a little too, regarding the 3.75" line's future, but that's another discussion.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Now that I think about the choices, they makes sense. 

-X-Wing Luke: reuse the body, resculpt the head and helmet (or add the neck-warmer and new boots for snowspeeder version) and you have Wedge or Biggs (can't see them getting too involved with other pilots right away and Biggs is kind of pushing it, but I'd put him at #3 pilot being released.
-R2: An easy repaint to make most any astromech.  A R5-D4 can't be too far behind.
-Sandtrooper: well, clean him up and take away the accessories for the Stormtrooper.

So 3 of the 4 choices already have repaint and some minor changes to make a new figure.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 06:29 PM »
I have some mixed feelings about this line. I'll admit, the Pilot Luke looks fantastic, but the price seems high. Obviously there is only so much that can be packed with a figure before it becomes a doll with multiple outfits and such, but the accessory count appears light. Some sort of stand or Build-A-Figure would go a long way I think. Luckily they don't appear to be skimping on the sculpting, paint apps, or packaging, so that makes the premium price easier to stomach.

Some other concerns/criticisms of mine pertain to the character choices and the name of the line. A Sand Trooper and Darth Maul are always safe bets, and should sell fine. Luke is questionable due to the outfit I think... I'm not sure if I'd consider the pilot jumpsuit the most iconic costume, plus at the scale it's something of a worthless figure with no available vehicles. R2-D2 is usually a solid seller, and I'm sure the figure will be LOADED with features, but R2-D2 is still a half-size figure. At the premium price it might be a hard sell, plus there is no C-3PO to pair it with. Lastly, the line name is absolutely terrible. "The Black Series" sounds like short-hand. It has nothing to do with Star Wars or the product, except for describing the box color. Stick with the simple package design and just label it "Star Wars".

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Setting aside the fact the figure looks AMAZING, this is a real point of divergence in the line. The truth is Hasbro has been understandably walking a fine line for years between kids and collectors. It's segregated the brand to some extent, and now with this line, that separation is complete. We will get these for 'us' and what I imagine will be simple 5 POA $5/$6 figures for kids. This splitting of interests is probably inevitable given the dynamics of the brand (its longevity is exhausting) but it's also unfortunate. I'm the market for these things, and I won't be buying them. I love the scale and they will do wonderful things with it, but $20? A whole new line?

Nope.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 08:34 PM »
I guess that's an interesting point that you make, Darby.  These figures are designed for us, the collector, where as the 4" line is being aimed at kids.  So, I guess the collector is expected to support a new line with a price point that a majority feel is out of their range.  It makes me wonder if Hasbro is really listening to the collector as most have been asking for lower prices and the obscure 15th alien cantina patron.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43 PM »
Exactly. What I see on these boards at least is collectors willing and able to buy army builders, but not at $10 per figure. I see collectors looking to keep their collections going with those minor, minor characters that will never see the light of day in this scale and one assumes, with a kid centric focus in the smaller scale, anywhere else.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 08:47 PM »
At $20 a pop, I'm still on board, but will be ultra-picky about my purchases.  That said, R2 is a no brainer for me, and I'm sure they'll make 3PO in a later wave.  I'd be really interested in Bespin Luke, Jedi Luke, Boba Fett, Vader, Yoda, and any ESB bounty hunter.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2013, 09:14 PM »
I'm in and if I have to buy online by the case, I am going to really be annoyed with a $20 prequel pegwarmer.  The same reason I quit getting cases earlier this year in the 4in line.

Luke looks great, I am sure the Sandtrooper will be sweet too.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32 PM »
$20 is the MSRP.  How many of you found figures for less than $10 over the last year?  I bet you can find these for $10 within a year of release, so I'm not spooked by the price they listed.  I just dont want to start yet another new line of stuff. I'm  also not jazzed about. the character selection. Maul and R2?  Ish.  I might have gone for it with Fett or a Stormie, or even a set paying homage to the four early bird figs, but this looks like a pass for me.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2013, 11:28 PM »
Hmmmm. As a collector who hasn't bought a figure in two years (honestly due to cost and inability to find the few figures I would have bought) this is probably geared more towards me and my ilk. And my verdict? Errr, maybe.

One of the exercises I did when paring down the collection was to figure out the bare minimum of needed figures. I settled on a format of twelve figures per film. Of course, I kept a collection of about 400 essentials, but that 12-figure concept would totally work for this line for me.

The problem there is that I only want 1 of the first wave characters: Artoo. I guess I'll wait and see if the line has legs enough to get me the characters I want, and pick them up later on the secondary market. So it does keep me collecting, but it sure isn't gonna get me back in the stores.

I was thinking Hasbro would be filling 2014 with a return to the OTC concept to gear towards the new movies, and was wrestling with the thought of getting a carded collection of those if my thoughts panned out. I really regret not picking up all the OTC figures last time and having some sort of solid carded collection to go with the loose stuff. On that note, I wish these packages had a little bit of background art ala the OTC/Saga2 stuff. Black box is nice-looking, but the collector who leaves it in the box deserves more.

I really like the Luke, though. And small waves sound like a step in the right direction, back towards the POTJ era. Good luck, Hasbro.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 12:10 AM »
I didn't see this coming at all. I don't see how vintage tanks at $10 and Hasbro thinks a line at twice that, with an exhausted and overspent fan base, is a good idea. That said, based on how amazing that Luke looks, figures like R2, 3PO, Vader, and Fett will be hard to resist even though I see myself as done with Star Wars collecting.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 12:33 AM »
I say again, why quit?  3.75" hasn't been cancelled yet...  6" is just another "thing" that will be there...  like Unleashed, mini unleashed, Might Muggs, Mini Mighty Muggs, 12", ****** 2013 12", Beans, Transformers crossovers, and so forth.

This isn't yet the ONLY future of the line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2013, 01:50 AM »
I think the decision to go with a 6" line for Star Wars is a bold move, one that seems directly influenced by Disney.  I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us.  Hurry up Toy Fair and get here already...   
Binders full of astromechs...