Author Topic: 6 Inch Figures?  (Read 46873 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Inch Figures?
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2013, 01:05 PM »
I'm just wondering if the turnoff for this line is more about the scale or the price.  Ten figures for $100 feels much more tolerable than ten figures for $200...for me anyway.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2013, 01:17 PM »
For me it's new characters. The turn off is both the price and scale. I have no desire to pay three times what I have for figures I already own, regardless of their quality.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2013, 03:03 PM »
6" figures are just bigger 3.75" figures to me...  Not new, just upsized.  Not unlike the new 12" figures are really just bigger versions of the new Legends figures really when you think about it.

Sideshow 12" figures are obviously much more...  Cloth uniforms with hyper detail and things.  Save for the odd duck like a droid of course, but for the most part they're a significantly different toy.  Not that I'd go all-in on SS 12" figures ever, but soldiers and the odd bounty hunter do catch my eye and I have a few.

If Lego's were just tiny versions of the 3.75" figures, I'd be less interested in them than I am as well, though my SW Lego habits are pretty limited to just the planet sets.  Thinking of selling off all my early Lego sets I got when the line kicked off.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Considering that 3.75" VC figures go for $10 a pop (retail price), it's absurd to entertain the idea that 6" figures will be sold at $10 retail.  And what are 6" Marvel figures retailing at?  That's like saying, "Hey, a 2013 VW Jetta starts at $16,000, which seems too much for me.  How many people would buy one for $8000?"  Well, duh.         

After seeing the TF pics, I'm pretty much all in with the 6" line, starting with Luke, R2 and Sandtrooper.           
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2013, 12:22 AM »
Considering that 3.75" VC figures go for $10 a pop (retail price), it's absurd to entertain the idea that 6" figures will be sold at $10 retail.  And what are 6" Marvel figures retailing at?  That's like saying, "Hey, a 2013 VW Jetta starts at $16,000, which seems too much for me.  How many people would buy one for $8000?"  Well, duh.         

After seeing the TF pics, I'm pretty much all in with the 6" line, starting with Luke, R2 and Sandtrooper.           

Absurd?  Why is $10 absurd when a large amount of the $10 vintage figures you mentioned ended up selling for $5, either at discount stores or through various sales?  Do you have a point about the Marvel figures?  Last I looked, they are not at $20 either.  Don't you think the decision for collectors to buy 6" SW figures is a little different than scooping up half price cars?  "Duh" indeed.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2013, 12:24 AM »
Not once did I mention discount chains, clearance prices, etc.  Learn to read.  I said RETAIL price.  Duh.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2013, 08:51 AM »
Learn to read? That's discussion? I don't think these forums work that way-

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Retail price IS the price you pay at a retailer, including discounts and sales.  Did you mean Suggested Retail Price?  Not that the distinction has any useful bearing on this conversation.

I am not planning to buy these at $20 due to price and feeling like my collecting space is limited, but I would absolutely grab them at $10.  I'm just wondering if the lower price would drive the masses to purchase or if factors like space, disinterest, new scale would still keep them away.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Retail price IS the price you pay at a retailer, including discounts and sales.  Did you mean Suggested Retail Price?  Not that the distinction has any useful bearing on this conversation.

I am not planning to buy these at $20 due to price and feeling like my collecting space is limited, but I would absolutely grab them at $10.  I'm just wondering if the lower price would drive the masses to purchase or if factors like space, disinterest, new scale would still keep them away.

If they were on sale for $14.99 each would you maybe get them?  ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Learn to read? That's discussion?

Discussion is one thing, wishful thinking is another.  There is no way Hasbro is going to release their 6" SW figures with a MSRP of $10 because: A)they have already stated that the figures will have a MSRP of $20, B) 6" figures from various other toy lines aren't anywhere near $10, and C) super-articulated SW figures in a smaller scale (3.75") already have an MSRP of $10.   Entertaining the notion of paying 50% less than MSRP is just delusional and stems from someone with an empty/near empty wallet.   

Perhaps down the road if they sit around at stores and collect dust, they might get marked down a few bucks, but it will be the exception, not the rule.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2013, 10:08 AM »
B) 6" figures from various other toy lines aren't anywhere near $10

The Hobbit 6" figures are $14.99 each (at TRU), and 7" Wresting figures are $12.99 each so a lower MSRP is conceivable for this scale.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:14 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2013, 10:11 AM »
Perhaps, but is the license for The Hobbit as lucrative and expensive as the license for Star Wars?  I'm pretty sure we know the answer, and that translates to extra $$$ for items.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2013, 02:05 PM »
The Hobbit license wasn't cheap from what I hear, and was bought by a company a fraction of the size of Hasbro...  The argument can be made, is all I'm saying.

I have a feeling the 6" figures, like all Hasbro stuff, seem to have a decent cushion for sales...  I think $15 with still probably cutting out a decent profit is absolutely possible on these, but that's just my opinion.  I know even at $7.50 a piece, TRU still makes a tidy profit on Star Wars figures.

I think $20's a bit absurd for them, but that's my opinion, I wouldn't be all in on them at $10 even so my opinion is moot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2013, 04:29 PM »
If they were on sale for $14.99 each would you maybe get them?  ;)

Hmm.  Good question.  I would be sorely tempted at $15.  That still feels too high to me, but I'd probably talk myself into it given the lack of other stuff to buy.  It helps that there's only four in the wave as well.  If I see them lining the pegs for months on end, I'll probably wait, but if they seem to be selling pretty well and someone runs a BOGO50, I might cave.  Somewhere closer to the 50% is my all-in buy though.

Offline MasterFisto

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2013, 11:52 AM »
When I first saw these 6" toys, I was really excited for them.  But as the weeks have passed, my enthusiasm for them has waned.  I am still a little underwhelmed with the character selection for the initial wave.  From my stump, I would say that an initial wave should really WOW the collector in terms of character selection; and I gotta say that the selection here is a little...ho hum.  Although Hasbro stated to the contrary, Pilot Luke is not what I would call iconic.  Well, in all fairness, I guess it is; but it certainly is not the first one to come to mind when I think of Luke in an "action" sequence.  If you watch the OT, all Luke ever does while wearing that suit is sit in his vehicle.  Granted, he's in a couple dogfights in A New Hope while wearing that suit, and he blows up the Death Star; but no lightsaber fights or blaster shoot-outs.  He just drives a vehicle.  If it were up to me to decide which Luke to start the line with, I would have gone with an outfit that invoked more physical action, such as his Bespin fatigues, or his black outfit in Return of the Jedi.  There, you could pose him with his lightsaber, or have him draw his blaster, and it would invoke more of what he actually looked like when he did that stuff in the movies.

And the Sandtrooper?  I know that a lot of collectors get some major wood over this character; but I only think of one thing: "Look, sir: droids!"  These are the guys who just walked around Mos Eisley looking for droids. 

R2-D2 is what I would expect from an initial wave; and he's loaded to the gills with accessories.  He makes sense for an initial wave.  And the Darth Maul figure is also a good choice for an initial wave.  I just wish that the figure looked more like the character from the film.  Oh well.

Like some of you here, I might just wait to see how these sell, and perhaps pick them up on sale.