Multimedia > The Prequel Trilogy

Rumor: No more 3D Prequel Releases?

<< < (4/8) > >>

Jesse James:
I would've gladly gone to see AOTC 3D and ROTS 3D...  I don't care for TPM as I get older, but I still like AOTC and ROTS, and even with TPM not being something I'll sit and watch when it's on TV as much as I used to, I'd still go see it in the theaters in 3D if they were just releasing it next week or something.

The biggest disappointment, for me, is the OT.  I was really anxious to see them in any format, just so long as it was in a theater.

P-Siddy:
Like most of you, I would love to take my daughter to the theater and enjoy the movies with her...3-D or not.  She just turned 4 and has seen all 6 movies and loves A New Hope.  It's the one she always requests (the one where they jump in the garbage) behind Empire (she wants to see the turtles (AT-ATs) and "I'm your father").  After watching these with her after a long time of not seeing them all together, the Prequels have a lot of violence and scary parts than the OT, where the violence is quick or death is essentially a TIE fighter or X/Y-Wing blowing up.  And I always feel a sense of adventure in the OT where the heroes don't look for action, it comes to them and they respond to adversity. 

Qui-Gon Jim:

--- Quote from: MistaBinks on January 28, 2013, 08:40 PM ---That is very interesting. I initially thought that maybe the profits from the 3D re-releases were supposed to fund the sequel trilogy. At one movie a year, that doesn't seem likely though. The Blu-Ray box sets were wildly successful though.

--- Quote ---Variety is reporting that Star Wars has sold more than one million units in only a week on the markiet, shattering records for the high-definition format, and further cementing Blu-ray's dominance as the home video format of choice.

Despite an average list price of $79.99, the nine disc set generated more than $84 million in worldwide sales. U.S. sales accounted for $38 million of that total, with 515,000 units sold in North America.
--- End quote ---

That was September of 2011. Expecting families to shell out 3D ticket prices for TPM just four months later is a tough sell. Still, TPM3D opened to 22m and grossed 44m domestically. It earned 102m worldwide. I'm just not sure what a realistic number would have been to be deemed successful.

--- End quote ---

This is why I cringe when people call TPM 3D a failure.  It was not a failure at the box office.  It made far more than other similar 3D-ified rereleases.  The fact that "people" hate TPM jades objective opinion.  The Phantom Menace was a phenomenal success.  TPM 3D performed quite well for what it was.  Retconning either into "bomb" territory just does not hold water.

The issue is HASBRO overestimated the demand for TPM merch and it torpedoed everything since.  I refuse to believe this was LFL's fault since it isn't like TPM 3D merch hung around forever in other market segments. 

bobafett14:
As much as I think I would have enjoyed the 3D moves...

I'm kinda flip flopping my answer around.  On  positive note, by " postponing " the 3D movies, I'm hoping the break in the action will have audiences craving a new Star Wars movie even more!

5 3D movies put out in just 2 years may dilute the anticipation a bit???  I think this makes it even more of an "event" than it does "just aother movie".

We'll see.

Jabba the Slug:
I didn't care that TPM was in 3D, I saw it solely for the fact that I could once again watch a Star Wars movie on the big screen. To me, that was very nostalgic - especially the Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan duel.

While I can't necessarily say that I'm slayed by the fact that the 3D re-releases are postponed, I am very sad that I can't see ROTS on the big screen again. That's the one I wanted to see the most on the big screen again!! The Mustafar duel in 3D... that would've been amazing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version