Author Topic: Rumor: No more 3D Prequel Releases?  (Read 19404 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Rumor: No more 3D Prequel Releases?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 04:03 PM »
I would've gladly gone to see AOTC 3D and ROTS 3D...  I don't care for TPM as I get older, but I still like AOTC and ROTS, and even with TPM not being something I'll sit and watch when it's on TV as much as I used to, I'd still go see it in the theaters in 3D if they were just releasing it next week or something.

The biggest disappointment, for me, is the OT.  I was really anxious to see them in any format, just so long as it was in a theater.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Like most of you, I would love to take my daughter to the theater and enjoy the movies with her...3-D or not.  She just turned 4 and has seen all 6 movies and loves A New Hope.  It's the one she always requests (the one where they jump in the garbage) behind Empire (she wants to see the turtles (AT-ATs) and "I'm your father").  After watching these with her after a long time of not seeing them all together, the Prequels have a lot of violence and scary parts than the OT, where the violence is quick or death is essentially a TIE fighter or X/Y-Wing blowing up.  And I always feel a sense of adventure in the OT where the heroes don't look for action, it comes to them and they respond to adversity. 

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 5, 2013, 11:40 AM »
That is very interesting. I initially thought that maybe the profits from the 3D re-releases were supposed to fund the sequel trilogy. At one movie a year, that doesn't seem likely though. The Blu-Ray box sets were wildly successful though.

Variety is reporting that Star Wars has sold more than one million units in only a week on the markiet, shattering records for the high-definition format, and further cementing Blu-ray's dominance as the home video format of choice.

Despite an average list price of $79.99, the nine disc set generated more than $84 million in worldwide sales. U.S. sales accounted for $38 million of that total, with 515,000 units sold in North America.

That was September of 2011. Expecting families to shell out 3D ticket prices for TPM just four months later is a tough sell. Still, TPM3D opened to 22m and grossed 44m domestically. It earned 102m worldwide. I'm just not sure what a realistic number would have been to be deemed successful.

This is why I cringe when people call TPM 3D a failure.  It was not a failure at the box office.  It made far more than other similar 3D-ified rereleases.  The fact that "people" hate TPM jades objective opinion.  The Phantom Menace was a phenomenal success.  TPM 3D performed quite well for what it was.  Retconning either into "bomb" territory just does not hold water.

The issue is HASBRO overestimated the demand for TPM merch and it torpedoed everything since.  I refuse to believe this was LFL's fault since it isn't like TPM 3D merch hung around forever in other market segments. 

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #18 on: February 5, 2013, 12:02 PM »
As much as I think I would have enjoyed the 3D moves...

I'm kinda flip flopping my answer around.  On  positive note, by " postponing " the 3D movies, I'm hoping the break in the action will have audiences craving a new Star Wars movie even more!

5 3D movies put out in just 2 years may dilute the anticipation a bit???  I think this makes it even more of an "event" than it does "just aother movie".

We'll see.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 6, 2013, 03:01 AM »
I didn't care that TPM was in 3D, I saw it solely for the fact that I could once again watch a Star Wars movie on the big screen. To me, that was very nostalgic - especially the Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan duel.

While I can't necessarily say that I'm slayed by the fact that the 3D re-releases are postponed, I am very sad that I can't see ROTS on the big screen again. That's the one I wanted to see the most on the big screen again!! The Mustafar duel in 3D... that would've been amazing.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: February 6, 2013, 03:43 PM »
That is very interesting. I initially thought that maybe the profits from the 3D re-releases were supposed to fund the sequel trilogy. At one movie a year, that doesn't seem likely though. The Blu-Ray box sets were wildly successful though.

At the time, that was the plan...  Just because it's close together doesn't mean that how they performed, and at what level they performed, didn't directly dictate whether they went further with PT3D films.

That was a fairly well-known thing at the time...  If TPM3D did a minimum, to them, then AOTC3D would happen...  But "doing well" for Star Wars cannot be compared to much else when you think about it.  Especially when one doing well by their standards is what the next one is hinged upon.

I saw TPM3D and enjoyed it well enough...  I still think TPM3D sucks.

This is why I cringe when people call TPM 3D a failure.  It was not a failure at the box office.  It made far more than other similar 3D-ified rereleases.  The fact that "people" hate TPM jades objective opinion.  The Phantom Menace was a phenomenal success.  TPM 3D performed quite well for what it was.  Retconning either into "bomb" territory just does not hold water.

Again, whether it's a failure or not was dependant on your POV...  To LFL, it underperformed because it barely met its minimums they were calling for, to continue with AOTC3D and so forth...  I think the latter would've done better.  Likewise, for Star Wars, I think it did poorly...  TPM was a success at the box office, but it's not held up well, and TPM3D was NOT a success to LFL at the box office...  I think they really anticipated more.  I think Lucas overestimated his fan-base for Star Wars on that one.

The issue is HASBRO overestimated the demand for TPM merch and it torpedoed everything since.  I refuse to believe this was LFL's fault since it isn't like TPM 3D merch hung around forever in other market segments.

First, I've never argued that Hasbro overestimated anything...  That's obviosu to anyone.  Guess who else made that mistake though?  Pepsi, Frito Lay, Kellogs or whoever was doing that, McDonalds, etc...  Like I said, if it was just Hasbro you'd maybe have some argument, but all those companies sank money in, and I think all of them probably saw an underperformance from what I saw out at retail with all that stuff around long after TPM3D was relevant. 

I could be wrong, maybe they did great.  Hasbro overestimated sure, but they don't do that on a whim regardless.  They do it at LFL's pressure that X, Y, or Z is the next big thing.  That's a symbiotic relationship people can't just dismiss.

In all my years dealing with Hasbro, never have I seen them go nuts making something without LFL having some hand in it...  They push the company to support their latest projects heavily.  That's just not the case.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Wonder if it'll see the light of day here?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 02:09 PM »
I'd still go see it...  For all the PT bashing, I'd go just because it's Star Wars in a theater, so yeah, I'd watch.

I thought TPM 3D actually looked ok.  Maybe I just don't know any better but I enjoyed it.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 05:27 PM »
I'd still go see it...  For all the PT bashing, I'd go just because it's Star Wars in a theater, so yeah, I'd watch.

I thought TPM 3D actually looked ok.  Maybe I just don't know any better but I enjoyed it.

Ditto.  Would be cool to see the battle of Geonosis in 3D. 

I get that they wanted to show them in order, but I think the 3-D gimmick would have worked better if they had released 4-5-6 then 1-2-3.  TPM is most people's least favorite SW movie, so not an ideal lead off to SW 3D IMO.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 07:47 AM »
AotC is my least favorite SW film.  That said, I would have liked to have seen this.  I wanted to put together a set of those LE 3D glasses.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 10:22 AM »
The whole conversion of non 3D movies to 3D is pretty awful. It's like watching a movie through a view master. Can't this 3D fad just die?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32 AM »
I thought the 3D in TPM was pretty well done.  It is hit or miss though.  I saw Iron Man and Star Trek in 3D.  IM was not worth it, ST was pretty good.

ETA: 3D is hugely profitable for theaters and studios.  It isn't going anywhere.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:33 AM by Qui-Gon Jim »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 11:41 AM »
I thought the 3D in TPM was pretty well done.  It is hit or miss though.  I saw Iron Man and Star Trek in 3D.  IM was not worth it, ST was pretty good.

ETA: 3D is hugely profitable for theaters and studios.  It isn't going anywhere.

Not for Theaters so much... they make very little on the movies themselves. Theaters make money from concessions.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 12:27 PM »

Not for Theaters so much... they make very little on the movies themselves. Theaters make money from concessions.

Really?  Have you seen how much more a theater can charge for exhibiting a 3-D movie as compared to a 2-D movie?

AMC theaters shows their ticket pricing on their website.  And in my market, adult tickets for a 3-D version of a movie now go for $17.  That's opposed to the $13 adult admission  for a 2-D showing.  So where is the upcharge in costs for theaters that would erase this 30% (or so) increase in ticket prices?

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback