Author Topic: Class II Ships - Ideas?  (Read 9973 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Class II Ships - Ideas?
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:07 AM »
OK, so the majority here seem to be in agreement that they hate the new Class II assortment.  The comically undersized Slave I, the hollow Republic Tank.  Not many of you are buying.

What could Hasbro put in this line (think smaller ships that would hit the $20 price)?

Would you pay $20 for something Bail's Speeder from ROTS?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Class II Ships - Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Trandoshan Skiff from the Clone Wars show would be an excellent candidate IMO, too big for a Class I set but not as hefty as a true midsize vehicle. And collectors would be all over this I think, even realistic ones, it is that cool a design.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Gian speeder. Though, that might be too big now.

Better Zam Wessel speeder.

Anakin's airspeeder from ROTS. Again, might be too big.

Hoth Rebel transport speeder.

Luke's Landspeeder maybe with a bonus womprat or something.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Some new Speeders...  Some EU or conceptual ideas could work.

For me it's all about the laughability of the undersized Slave-I and such.  You can get a cheap POTF2 Slave-I that's a billion times better looking next to a figure.  I just can't see that being a good idea.

I'd love seeing Zam's speeder, but you'd want that wrecked fender.  I dont' think they can do it at the price/cost they're wanting to.

Ani's though, Bail's...  i'd be cool with those for sure too, as both were a little lacking.  I think they can do better.

The Hoth Rebel tank is cool but obscure.  I'd be all for it though.  I'd dig a Hoth Radar Cannon tank thing they design on their own...  Like a small mobile version of the Hoth gun. 

Maybe a hybrid hover-AT-AT type design.  Take the angular armored elements of the Imperial walkers, but try making something like a small hover-tank.  Similar to the Vintage Stormtrooper Transport perhaps?  Something they could paint Hoth or Endor...  Believable, but small and affordable for the new Class II format.

At this point, I think movie ships, bigger ones, really need to be left to exclusives or a bigger line of ships for more money. Just my opinion.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 09:05 AM »
I'd like to see something like the Platoon Attack Craft.

It would fit right into Hasbro's model for providing an alternative to a larger, cumbersome vehicle (MTT) for kids while still being able to haul around several figures. At this scale, I see it carrying about 7 battle droids (1 pilot, and 6 infantry) and have it feature a deployable rack (manually operated). The bottom/undercarriage could be essentially hollow like the Republic Fighter Tank to focus all of the detail/deco on the top side.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:11 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:08 AM »
There are definitely some options with this line if you open things up for some Hasbro interpretations of vehicle concepts.  And there are also the vehicles that just didn't make the cut at the time.

A Gian speeder from Episode I would probably work from a scale standpoint.  But it seems like all things Episode I have a stink about them with the exception of Darth Maul.

A Z-95 from Clone Wars might have this line as it's only option for a release.  The Z-95 is starting to see some screen time on the animated series, but I can't see Hasbro investing heavily in the tooling for that vehicle.  So this line and the Z-95 might be a good fit.

Anakin's Jedi Shuttle from ROTS really isn't all that big.  I think it would definitely work in this format.

Bail Organa's speeder *MIGHT* be an option since it's in a couple of action sequences between the Jedi Temple / Order 66, and rescuing Yoda following his duel with Sidious.  But there's definitely some issues regarding the appeal of the character.  The pegwarming Bail Organa of the TLC Blue era made that abundantly clear.

As for the OT?  I think you need to think even more EU/concept here.

A modern take on the Kenner Imperial Transport might be cool.  I think vintage fans would be into that.  Making it fit in what's likely to be a smaller packaging footprint might be a challenge.

A Hoth Rebel Tank definitely sounds cool, too. 

An Endor Rebel speeder of some sort might be interesting, too.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:12 PM »
Rebel Assault Tank PX-10 (kind of like a Hiss Tank)
Republic Champion Speeder
Death Star playset sections (not really a ship I suppose)
Ewok Glider/Catapult combo
Dessert Skiff
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 03:20 PM »
I'd like to see that Rebel tank...  There's  not a ton of documented EU rebel tanks out there.

I think a Desert skiff would be great, but the way things are, highly unlikely as anything but an exclusive for a premium.  Just my opinion, but seems likely that's how that would go, if it went anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:21 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Dessert Skiff

What would you put on your Dessert Skiff?  A banana split?  :P

While I'd love to see a new Skiff in the Class II assortment, I agree with Jesse that Hasbro knows they could get away with that one for more than $20 as a store exclusive, especially if they go the POTF Kenner box with it.   I think I'd much prefer that if it meant they'd take the time to get the scale on it fixed like they did with the Speederbike upgrade.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:27 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:33 PM »
Floaty stand...  Be cool.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 05:54 PM »
The Dessert Skift would obviously come with Serving Tray R2 and a variety of small, but tasty cakes, pies, and lightsaber shaped popsicles.  Duh.

Damn JD Spell-Nazis
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Techno Union Starfighter (Mankvim-814 light interceptor)

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 06:08 PM »
naboo tumbleweeds. They'll fit right in the wasteland that is the Star Wars toy section.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 08:52 PM »
How about vehicles made of styrofoam and cardstock...to reduce costs.  Instantly some big name webmaster proclaims them as wonderfully nostalgic like the vintage GI JOE gliders and Kenner playset backdrops. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Was taking u seriously with mouth agape till I read the last bit and lol'd.  Yeah I kinda like progress.