Author Topic: 6" Black Series Wave 1 (2013 Wave 1)  (Read 40620 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 6" Black Series - 2013 Wave 1
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2013, 08:59 PM »
The WM thing is curious, but I wouldn't worry too much yet about distribution. I've seen them a few times now at Target. I'd give it a while before worrying. Though this is Hasbro...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2013, 09:06 PM »
It might just depend on the WM, from store to store.  I know our local one skips a lot of the "collector" type stuff.  They never carry Marvel Legends, Marvel Universe, DCU or any of that.  Mainly just the "kids" lines or movie focused stuff.  That's ok I guess, the less I have to go there, the better :).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Is WM not carrying these, or some stores just so far not stocked them?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2013, 10:54 PM »
I got my figs from Amazon today...wow are these things awesome.  Yeah R2 is short but it is still an amazing figure.  Same goes for Luke, great detail and great likeness.  And the Sandtrooper is completely amazing.  I have been hoping for these ever since Marvel Legends came out and I am glad they are finally in my paws.  I'm going OT only so $100-$160 a year won't be too much to stomach.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Is WM not carrying these, or some stores just so far not stocked them?

Word is they're not listed on the planogram reset template. Doesn't surprise me as they never carried the most recent class ii sets either. I guess they are cherry picking, though this seems like stupid one to pass up.

I hope it varies by store, as with the McFarlane sports picks figs, but I'm not counting on it.

The thing that's hard to predict is how robustly target will restock these. That 1 case per store model seems a little conservative. Our TRU has yet to stock these even.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2013, 02:10 PM »
The thing that's hard to predict is how robustly target will restock these. That 1 case per store model seems a little conservative. Our TRU has yet to stock these even.

Not that this is any sort of nationwide indicator, but two Targets near me that sold thru the 6" figures have restocked. The store closest to me has actually restocked twice since last Monday. So far a bunch of new releases from Hasbro (Black Series, GI Joe, Marvel) seem extremely limited both in-store and online, but with the holiday season coming up that should change soon.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2013, 04:27 PM »
I saw all four figures at Target last night.  I only bought the X-Wing Luke for now.  Darth Maul and The Sandtrooper were tempting. 

R2-D2 was a very easy pass.  Looks too small.  One of the legs was really warped in the package.  The paint was very bad and sloppy.

I thought the R2 seemed like a bad value to me as well.  It looked neat, but $20 for him just seemed way high.  I did grab the Luke and Sandtrooper.  Still not sure about Maul, R2 and this line as a whole, but I'll check out the first two and try and make a call at that point.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2013, 04:34 PM »
50% gain in height = 100% price increase.  :'(

I might grab more if the price drops, but otherwise, I think I'll grab those I feel are the iconic SW figures.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2013, 10:55 AM »

Not that this is any sort of nationwide indicator, but two Targets near me that sold thru the 6" figures have restocked. The store closest to me has actually restocked twice since last Monday. So far a bunch of new releases from Hasbro (Black Series, GI Joe, Marvel) seem extremely limited both in-store and online, but with the holiday season coming up that should change soon.

The Target near me has sold three full sets minus one Luke as of yesterday morning.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2013, 11:25 AM »
50% gain in height = 100% price increase.  :'(

I might grab more if the price drops, but otherwise, I think I'll grab those I feel are the iconic SW figures.

But here's the thing, when you double the size of a 3D object, you double the height, and the width, and the depth. (I learned this on Mythbusters!) I think, if my math is correct, actually four times the plastic used on a small figure would be used on this size figure.  So at 20 dollars, it's actually a deal. 
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2013, 03:04 PM »
Just an update as far as availability - my Target reloaded on these today. Another case worth.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2013, 04:14 PM »
But here's the thing, when you double the size of a 3D object, you double the height, and the width, and the depth.

Curse my two-dimensional thinking!   ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:15 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2013, 05:18 PM »
I have yet to see any 6 inch figures in the stores.  However, I have heard people comparing them to NECA.  I really hope that's not true.  I bought some Pacific Rim figures in the toystore for my boys, and the things started falling apart in a week.  I hope Hasbro can make a sturdier product.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2013, 05:57 PM »
I have yet to see any 6 inch figures in the stores.  However, I have heard people comparing them to NECA.  I really hope that's not true.  I bought some Pacific Rim figures in the toystore for my boys, and the things started falling apart in a week.  I hope Hasbro can make a sturdier product.

Having both Neca and Black Series figures around me, I'd say neither are really good as toys. Both types are definitely on the "collectible" end of the spectrum. That being said, I think Black Series would hold up better to play. There is something about the plastic Hasbro uses that seems more durable, while Neca is either flimsier (Pacific Rim, Aliens) or brittle/fragile (Predator). I think the things to worry about on the Black Series figures would be paint wear and joints getting loose (especially the double hinged joints), as opposed to parts actually breaking.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2013, 07:50 PM »
P-Sizzle stop thinking in 2 dimensions.

I got my first Sandtrooper today and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!  First time ever since 1977 that a storm trooper helmet was sculpted correctly. Absolutely perfect. I'm getting a freaking hundred.

And 1 Maul when I see it.

Target for those on the hunt.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:52 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda