Author Topic: 2013 Saga Legends Basic Figures (Vader Cardback)  (Read 58057 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: 2013 Saga Legends Basic Figures - Vader Cardback
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 02:10 PM »
s/b

1x 01 Mace Windu (Episode III)
2x 02 Clone Trooper (Episode II)
2x 03 Anakin Skywalker (Episode III)
2x 04 Obi-Wan Kenobi (Episode III)
1x 05 Super Battle Droid (Episode II)
1x 06 R4-P17 (Episode III)
2x 07 Yoda (Episode III)
1x 08 Clone Shock Trooper (Episode III)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: April 3, 2013, 02:28 AM »
See some new Legends figs rumored on Scum's front page including Clone Wars Cody...  THIS will have my attention even at 5POA...  I'll customize.  If I see a cheap Cody at the show this weekend I'm nabbing him just to have for a base for a Clone Wars version.

There are others in the list of interest...  Chewie, Han, and apparantly a return to Battledroid 2-packs but I assume they'll be shoddy 5 POA sculpts.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 3, 2013, 12:46 PM »
Won't these have old style POTF style necks/heads? A phase 1 Cody might be a pain to customize unless his helmet is removable. Assuming it's phase one.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: April 3, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Eh, if it's easy to customize it's not always really a custom. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 3, 2013, 08:49 PM »
I have to admit, having the OT characters included (especially Han/Chewie) has me a little more interested in this line.  Not sure if I'll pick up any of those initial ROTS/AOTC figures, but unless the OT ones are horrible, I might be in on some of these.  We'll have to see what they look like.  Since we already have pretty great articulated versions of these already, it makes it easier to give a little more leeway to a line like this.  Plus, it is nice seeing a $6 pricepoint on SW figures again, even if they are scaled back articulation-wise.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: April 3, 2013, 10:52 PM »
If a figure's really stellar looking I'm open to it, but I mean I really have to see something stellar.  Otherwise these are fodder to me, not much more.  The price eases that pill enough, but I mean VOTC Han's good enough for me so would I want another Han that isn't as articulated?  I'd need a higher articulation count, thigh strap, better headsculpt, removable vest...  That's what I need for a new ANH Han to hit my shelf. 

A 5 POA figure that maybe has a nice likeness and not much else improved, isn't gonna cut it.

Now, NEW figures...  Even at 5 POA, like a CW Cody, would get my attention.  Especially if they at least feature a removable helmet or something.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Carded pics of 4 of them at the 'Scum.

I've passed up 2011 Legends Shock Troopers for $4.99 at Marshalls...so why pay $6 for a 70's articulated one? Same with Super Battle Droid.

Yeah, yeah,...these are for the kids. Not the ones who stopped watching clone wars, who'd rather text and play video games. These are for ones barely out of diapers, since the kiddie aimed lines never take off (or get axed once they exhaust the characters, like Galactic Heroes) so make realistic figures that tots can't trash quickly.

Even knowing that, that astro droid is still lame. In 1995 they could give R2 his center leg without articulating his feet.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 09:31 AM »
I'm sure I'll skip theses. I haven't even picked up any of the 2012 less articulated figures, so why start now?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Got my hands on a wave 1 case yesterday and like I said over in the mission series 2-pack thread - THESE FIGURES ARE ABSOLUTE CRAP.

On top of that, they didn't use enough glue to keep the bubbles on the card back so all you have to do to unpack these figures is to lightly tug on the bubble and it will come right off the card-back. I'm sure stores are going to be THRILLED by this new feature. Or maybe since they're only supposed to be $6, they won't care, who knows?

The Obi-Wan violates one of the tent-pole tenets that this line SUPPOSEDLY has - that the figures can hold their accessories. The cuffs of Obi-Wan's sleeves interfere with him fully gripping his light-saber. Great job Hasbro!

The sculpts of these figures are "great" only if you compare them to your 1977 Kenner figures and even then that's a horrible comparison since if you're like me, you look at those figures with a sense of nostalgia. These things are just new junk.

Since I only found 1 case, I bought a set to keep on card (I hope the figures stay on card) and the four extras to have 1 opener of each. I'll probably get the remaining four figures to open, but I will not be army building anything from the Legends/Mission Series lines.

So congrats Hasbro - you pushed me back to being a 1-on-card and 1-to-open collector like I was back in the beginning of this line - regardless of whether or not the figure is a new sculpt or an army builder.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Thanks Pete, refreshing to read a non-Koolaid-drinking review of these. Some sites seem to think these are the shizz for some inexplicable reason.

Did you find them on the pegs or did you have to Jedi Mind Trick them out of the supply room?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Did you find them on the pegs or did you have to Jedi Mind Trick them out of the supply room?

Jedi Mind Tricked them out of the back. The employee who helped me asked if I needed any assistance and I rolled the dice to see if he would help me.

He even made a point to say "well, these aren't out because they're not supposed to be set until August 4th, but let me test scan one and see if I can sell it" and then when he saw that he could, he was like, "okay, which ones do you want"

Quite possibly could have been the BEST interaction with a Target employee I've ever had.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Thanks Pete...  I concur with McMetal...  These, to me, look terrible, and the reviews on the quality of the materials and designs take them even a notch lower.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 02:20 PM »
I'm passing on the whole Saga Legends line unless there's a figure that goes above and beyond.  Given what Hasbro has publically said about this line, I don't think that's going to happen. 

For years Hasbro has been trying to make Saga Legends/Movie Heroes/Etc a kid focused line.  But they were doing that by re-issuing figures that had originally been offered to collectors.  I think that methodology probably led to a good deal of confusion over Hasbro's plans/intentions for that line. 

This designs of the figures in this new Saga Legends line seem poised to clear up the confusion from previous year's lines.  The 5 points of articulation on completely new figures spell that out plain as day.  These figures are disposable.

And then, take into account the play patterns of kids now.  Kids today do not play like the kids of the 70's and 80's.  They generally do not focus on a toy that they've had for 1 or 2 years, but 1 or 2 months.  That short attention span is something that the toy industry recognizes.  Witness some of the movie offerings from both Hasbro and Mattel over the past few years.  A lot of those figures are very basic in presentation.

As with any new product offering, you can always state your position at retail.  And if a product isn't to your liking, not buying it speaks volumes.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51 PM »
Thanks Pete, refreshing to read a non-Koolaid-drinking review of these. Some sites seem to think these are the shizz for some inexplicable reason.

Wait wait wait.  Sorry, but I find it hilarious that the review basically makes the figutes sound like the worst collectible ever, but then Pete still buys a full case of figures.  Hiw is that not drinking the koolaid? 

I found these at Target today and actually like them.  Two figures for $10 and great paint jobs.  They remind me enough of old skule vintage to keep me interested for now.  I do agree on the crummy packaging though.  I'll just be getting one set to open.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today