Collectibles > The Black Series 3.75"

Your Hopes/Fears for The Black Series 3.75" Figures?

<< < (4/5) > >>

speedermike:
All I want is an interesting selection of never before done characters, and if they have to do a Luke, or Obi-Wan, just use the exact same one that has been released before, so there is no need to "collect" it, and it doesn't waste tooling money. 

I don't need pack ins, or droid pieces, or anything except for a weapon or two.

Yes, include realistic Clone Wars, and EU. 

Understand that the buyers for this line are the long-time fans who have many, many figures, and to keep them interested, offer an oddball, unpredictable figure selection.

Jeff:

--- Quote from: Force Guy on February  3, 2013, 12:35 AM ---...anything but the same old regurgitated crap like another Anakin, another Clone Trooper, another Obi-Wan. 
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: DoctorPadawan on February  3, 2013, 02:31 PM ---And if they're going for a true collector-focused line, and with the main characters being well-represented in the budget line for kids, don't sacrifice spaces in the Black Series to repack Obi-Wan and Anakin and X-Wing Luke for the millionth time.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: speedermike on February  3, 2013, 05:29 PM ---All I want is an interesting selection of never before done characters, and if they have to do a Luke, or Obi-Wan, just use the exact same one that has been released before, so there is no need to "collect" it, and it doesn't waste tooling money. 
--- End quote ---

Without the kenner cardbacks to suck in the carded collecting guys, figure selection could be the thing that ultimately makes or breaks the Black Series 3.75" line for many, many people.

Take a look at the figures they had planned for the first two waves of Droid Factory - not much there that meets the desired "wow factor" you guys are talking about.  Pretty much everything there is the stuff that Force Guy described as "the same old regurgitated crap": Another Arena Padme, R2-D2, AotC Anakin, Vader, Sandtrooper, and at least THREE clones in the first 20 planned figures.

The only real "wow factor" NEW minor characters were the BADs themselves, figures like FA-4 and R5-X2, which we may not even be getting right away.  :(

Greg:

--- Quote from: Jeff on February  7, 2013, 10:51 AM ---Without the kenner cardbacks to suck in the carded collecting guys, figure selection could be the thing that ultimately makes or breaks the Black Series 3.75" line for many, many people.

Take a look at the figures they had planned for the first two waves of Droid Factory - not much there that meets the desired "wow factor" you guys are talking about.  Pretty much everything there is the stuff that Force Guy described as "the same old regurgitated crap": Another Arena Padme, R2-D2, AotC Anakin, Vader, Sandtrooper, and at least THREE clones in the first 20 planned figures.

The only real "wow factor" NEW minor characters were the BADs themselves, figures like FA-4 and R5-X2, which we may not even be getting right away.  :(

--- End quote ---

Yeah... Hasbro definitely has to choose the lineup carefully. If they kick off the line with the AOTC-heavy wave it will be DOA. If they shuffle figures around and can't add any new sculpts, a mix like this might work for the first two waves:

Wave 1:
Bespin Vader
212th Clone Trooper
R2-D2
Sand Trooper (this guy actually sold VERY well in my area last year, and I was actually excited for the pauldron variant)
R5-X2
TC-70
Clone Pilot
Padme
Anakin
Geonosian Warrior
Pablo Jill
Biggs Darklighter

Wave 2:
Mara Jade
Captain Rex
Ceremony Luke Skywalker
Scout Trooper
Mace Windu
A-Wing Pilot
TIE Fighter Pilot
Clone Trooper Sgt.
R8-B7
FA-4
Battle Droid
Luminara Unduli

As bad as the "same old same old" stuff is to hardcore collectors, characters like Vader, R2-D2, Luke, and most clones still appear to be solid sellers. I don't see those guys being a problem out if they get released. I can see Rex and Mara Jade being extremely popular, and maybe Luminara, Mace, Pablo Jill, and the Scout Trooper as decent sellers... not too sure though about the Jedi as those released in TVC were hit & miss. The biggest problems with the Legacy/Build A Droid lineup are the AOTC characters, Pilots, and too an extent the Build-A-Droids themselves. I don't think there is any overall desire for AOTC characters and Pilots seem to have hit their saturation point. As for the droids, they might suffer from being too obscure and/or too expensive. Even with a mix like the one I suggested above it will be a hard sell, so hopefully Hasbro has some new figures planned to mix things up...

Jesse James:
I tend not to go into any of it with expectations...  I think, even with solid wave mixes and figure diversity, it's a deep hole to climb out of that the Hasbro SW line is in right now.

I think if people could see the #'s on something like this, I think figures are ALL prone to pegwarming faster now than they ever were.  I'm seeing now where the Gammorean Guard isn't exactly the hot commodity he was.  It wasn't like he hit 5 Below heavily though, nor is that store even everywhere, but yet his figure that's in the case hitting TRU's now isn't always the first to go anymore.  He went from rare to "eh" kind of fast to me.  It's a microscope on the line for sure, but it says to me I think Hasbro's going to struggle out of the gate regardless.  I think it's just a deep hole they're in.

So I hold no grand expectations.  I'm going to buy what I like...  I'm certainly not going to buy a figure just for his cardback now (I did that with some vinty's though usually only on a good sale, like R5-D4).

For me, it'll be pick and choose, and I'm one of the guys still here that's a hardcore collector looking forward to whatever they decide to unveil this weekend.  Yeah that's actual optomism!  I seem to be the minority.

SnTrooper:

--- Quote from: Jeff on February  7, 2013, 10:51 AM ---"the same old regurgitated crap": Another Arena Padme
--- End quote ---
I for one have been waiting for a good Area Padme since I first saw the leaked picture of the abomination that was the 2002 one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version