Author Topic: 6" Scale Vehicles, A Fool's Dream?  (Read 4910 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
6" Scale Vehicles, A Fool's Dream?
« on: February 8, 2013, 12:57 AM »
This was brought up to me...  I honestly cannot imagine Hasbro trying ANY vehicles save something tiny like a Speederbike.  Speederbikes are really not much more than a 2nd figure when you think about it.

Beyond that i'm not sure I could even see something like a Dewback or Taun-Taun...  I think this line would really need to take off before any vehicles were considered, and as it stands, I think this line's going to struggle to capture the numbers of people it'll need to sustain itself.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: 6" Scale Vehicles, A Fool's Dream?
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2013, 12:20 PM »
As someone pointed out, if it's been done at the 12 inch scale, 6 seems more than likely.  Speeder Bikes, Tauntaun, Dewback, Jabba.  Who knows.  I would be happier if the went the Sideshow route and offered environments.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 9, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Yeah, biggest vehicle I could see being done is Luke's Landspeeder. Watch them make the AOTC rickshaw droid and tick a bunch of people off.  :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 9, 2013, 06:19 PM »
One of the guys hinted that vehicles might be possible.  But he did say don't expect a 6" Sail Barge.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 9, 2013, 08:04 PM »
haha

I'm still placing my bet that vehicles would only happen in the smallest possible choices, and that the hint was only made because they don't want to say out of the gate, "Yeah no vehicles".  I think they really want this to take off and so I don't think they'd say anything remotely negative about it right now.

Never know...  The Landspeeder I think is even too big unless tehy can find a way to make it very cheaply.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 02:14 PM »
I think a Speeder Bike makes sense. Other than that I wouldnt expect any. I would prefer a Taun Taun, Jabba, and a Wampa anyway.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 08:09 PM »
It depends on what the come up with.  I would probably plunk down money for a Tauntaun and Wompa.  I doubt I would for vehicles like the X-Wing fighter.  I probably would for dioramas like what Sideshow does for it's 12 inch figures, but they won't go that route anyway.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Speeder bikes seem like the most reasonable possibility for this line.  I could easily see Hasbro do Maul's speeder bike from TPM.  Especially since they already did one in the 12" scale.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 8, 2015, 09:43 AM »
Funny looking back on this thread from 2.5+ years ago - we got that speederbike and Tauntaun folks were guessing.  Jabba too.  But who would have guessed that the "BMF" style, big ticket collector item for Episode 7 would be a 6" scale TIE Fighter?

Anyway, now that the door is WIDE open on 6" scale vehicles, anyone have a new "Fool's Dream" they are hoping for?  Obvious one would be an X-Wing to go with that 6" scale TIE...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 8, 2015, 10:11 AM »
Since the 6" figures feel a little less like toys and a little more like display pieces, I would be in favor of "environments" more than vehicles.  Seeing the 6" scale TIE Fighter reinforces my belief that these are going to be really hard to interact with as toys, and potentially really hard to display.

The only vehicle that I would love to see in this scale is a landspeeder, but if they do that they've got to make a C-3PO.

My quick thoughts on "environments":
  • Jabba's Sail Barge (or palace) - would be great to have somewhere to display a bunch of the figures we have that fit this scene
  • Death Star - maybe around the detention center, but you'll need to make a "Death Squad Commander"
  • Hoth Base - I need a place for my Tuantaun and Wampa
  • Mos Eisley Cantina - I would love to see a whole wave of cantina patrons (Hammerhead please) to go along with the release of this set

It would be cool if they made these environments with a pack in figure that we wouldn't normally see - e.g. Yakface with a Jabba's Sail Barge.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2015, 10:43 AM by Dave »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 8, 2015, 10:30 AM »
  • Mos Eisley Cantina - I would love to see a whole wave of cantina patrons to go along with the release of this set

It would be cool if they made these environments with a pack in figure that we wouldn't normally see - e.g. Yakface with a Jabba's Sail Barge.

The cardboard table with the Cantina Showdown does not count, Hasbro.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 8, 2015, 02:13 PM »
I would think that at the 6" scale we would top out with some sort of Hero starfighter vehicle.  Based on the fact that Hasbro went with a TFA TIE Fighter, I would think that the logical choice for a companion piece would be a Resistance X-Wing.  The question is HOW.  How does Hasbro manage to get that X-Wing into a box that fits on store shelves?

Beyond that?  I think that speeder vehicles are a lot more accessible for this line.  The starfighter vehicles come across much more like a special offering, especially considering the price point.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2015, 02:35 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline digktialx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 8, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Since the 6" figures feel a little less like toys and a little more like display pieces, I would be in favor of "environments" more than vehicles.  Seeing the 6" scale TIE Fighter reinforces my belief that these are going to be really hard to interact with as toys, and potentially really hard to display.

The only vehicle that I would love to see in this scale is a landspeeder, but if they do that they've got to make a C-3PO.

My quick thoughts on "environments":
  • Jabba's Sail Barge (or palace) - would be great to have somewhere to display a bunch of the figures we have that fit this scene
  • Death Star - maybe around the detention center, but you'll need to make a "Death Squad Commander"
  • Hoth Base - I need a place for my Tuantaun and Wampa
  • Mos Eisley Cantina - I would love to see a whole wave of cantina patrons (Hammerhead please) to go along with the release of this set

Good ideas. I would kind of like to see the Death Star and Hoth base sets be multi parts. That way you can break the parts down to whichever set you want and if you get all the sets you can combine them I imagine a 3 part set or so you can display them each in a different display case or put em all together for one nice display.

As for the vehicles I always preferred the land based vehicles since I felt they were easier to play with vs holding a flying vehicle in the air all the time. Its also a bit easer to set up a display with land based vehicles since you don't need fishing line!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ToyGear
Twitter: @foamtrays

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 8, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Anyway, now that the door is WIDE open on 6" scale vehicles, anyone have a new "Fool's Dream" they are hoping for?  Obvious one would be an X-Wing to go with that 6" scale TIE...

I think a 6" scale TFA Resistance X-Wing is entirely plausible.  After all, they have to include something for the good guys to combat the TIE fighter.  Also, the TIE's box was marked "01" which leads me to believe its the first in a series of 6" scale vehicles (hopefully not just one and only ever made).  The X-wing could likely go in a smaller or longer box than the TIE as it doesn't have the bulky hexagonal wings.  The fuselage could be one or two sections with the wings and laser cannon as separate pieces attaching to the main body. 

In terms of other ships that could be done in the 6" scale?  I suspect we're going to see a 6" version of Rey's speeder from TFA, that First Order Elite Speeder Bike, that little Assault Walker thing, and possibly the desert landspeeder.  Basically scaled-up, greater-detailed versions of the 3 3/4" ships that have been released so far.  Hasbro already has released a speeder bike and the Assault Walker in their 12" scale, so very likely to get them in the 6" scale.  Further afield, I would guess smaller OT vehicles like the A-Wing, T-47 Snowspeeder, TIE Fighter, X-Wing, etc. could be done as well.  Speeders like Luke's Landspeeder would be easy too.   
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 11:30 AM »
The mid-size vehicles like a TIE or X-Wing are just too big for me given all the other Star Wars stuff I'm trying to display.  I'd love to see them go for more of the smaller scale stuff:

• Landspeeder
  • Dewback
  • Cantina Booth (Full size, Plastic not cardboard)
  • Probe Droid
  • Imperial Troop Transport
  • Ewoks with a Glider or Catapult
  • Emperor's Throne
  • And all those smaller ships from the new movie, which are the most likely I suppose

The one big ticket item I might bite on would be a Sandcrawler with 6" scale Jawas.  I know it would be huge, but that's the one big vehicle I could see clearing out space to display and really forking over some big money for.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:32 AM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today