Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" Cardback - Yea or Nay?  (Read 7026 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
The Black Series 3.75" Cardback - Yea or Nay?
« on: February 9, 2013, 12:26 AM »
Head on over to starwars-figuren for our first peek at the Black Series 3.75" cardback (spoiler alert - it looks like the 6" packaging :P).

Like it?  Hate it?  Too plain?  Were you going to hate it regardless because you want the Kenner cardback back?

« Last Edit: February 9, 2013, 12:28 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: The Black Series 3.75" Cardback - Yea or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: February 9, 2013, 12:30 AM »
It's about as basic as you can get. I don't not like it, but it's a far cry from the classic Kenner/TVC look.

My guess - it is the product of having to whip something together (post-BAD cancelation) that would require the least amount of effort while setting itself apart from TVC design to come back later down the road.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2013, 12:46 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 9, 2013, 02:16 AM »
I kinda like it.  It's definitely plain, but there's something very effective about just black.

I'm curious to see the back now.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 9, 2013, 09:29 AM »
I'll reserve my judgment until I see it in person.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 9, 2013, 09:50 AM »
Man my interest in the 4" line is about as low as it ever was...all we will see today is the Droid Factory figures, I don't blame Hasbro for that but I do blame them for a very lame two waves of figures...nothing new, almost all resculpts.  Hopefully there will be some cool TRU and KMart exclusives shown

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 9, 2013, 10:19 AM »
It's okay. The figure selection is dire -please let there be something new from the Palace or Mos eisley. Not likely, i know.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2013, 10:21 AM by jono »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 9, 2013, 01:17 PM »
NAH! NAH I SAY! I want my cards adorned with some action posed art of my (not) favorite character, like Boba Fett drawing his gun or Grevious spinning his lightsabers.

These are toys, not some fancy liquore. Black label should be black listed!

Actually, I don't care.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2013, 01:18 PM by Scockery »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 9, 2013, 01:54 PM »
It looks like they're specifically trying to evoke the setting of the Carbon Freeze Chamber in TESB.  Darkness combined with that orange lighting. 

Honestly...it looks pretty drab from that single photo.  I'd like to see some more imagery.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: February 9, 2013, 01:55 PM »
NAH! NAH I SAY! I want my cards adorned with some action posed art of my (not) favorite character, like Boba Fett drawing his gun or Grevious spinning his lightsabers.

These are toys, not some fancy liquore. Black label should be black listed!

Actually, I don't care.

I agree. I just want excellent character selection and great, fully-articulated sculpts.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 9, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Nay, but it's all trash to me anyway.  TVC cards were fun but I want the toy, and at $10 a pop I REALLY don't want a dime of that going to packaging.  I just don't care about packaging enough and just want to rip the toy off the card and enjoy it displayed.

I get people's nostalgia for TVC and all, but for me, BAD was far superior packaging simply because it allowed for bigger accessories and the part.  Same with 30AC.  TVC just condensed accessories and was nice to own but nothing I really cared about much.

New packaging sucks hard, worst in a long time, since POTJ really, but it's all trash anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 9, 2013, 08:05 PM »
It's way too big. Bubble is too large and really points out how little accessories we get now.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 9, 2013, 08:14 PM »
I'm reading the focus will be movies only. EU gets thrown under the bus despite the insane prices EU figure go for on the aftermarket. I guess Mara Jade makes the cut because they know there would be trouble if fan's choice got shafted.

So much for realistic Clone Wars characters,  folks are saying that maybe what they had planned will make it into Legends/Mission Packs (capt rex) , but how will they still have articulation?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: February 9, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Rex is in Black Series Wave 3 along with Windu.  I'd say what was tooled will be done.

From there OTHER ones will be in the limited articulation arena.  I'm bummed but not entirely shocked.  It would sell me on some of the Legends stuff though, honestly.  New characters I don't own would probably get me.

Like Jango though?  Why bother right?  But if a CW Realistic Cody was slipped into that line?  I'm in and would customize it into what I want...  Same with others they'd try.  I mean if by some strange quirk an alien or something got into that sub-par line I'd buy because the price is around where I'm happy.

$6 is it though...  5 POA is worth nothing more than $6.  Otherwise I'd wait out sales.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 04:28 AM »
I really love the packaging!!!! I would even consider keeping some of these packaged, and I'm an opener!! The black look with the orange panels on the side is very simple, yet very slick. Right amount of balance for me.

I too want TVC to come back, but I can wait just a *little* longer if Black Series impresses. I really hated the new BAD packaging, so, although it sucks we're not getting the BAD program, I'm really happy they tossed the packaging and hopefully buried it somewhere very, very deep.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 10:14 AM »
Since I'm not doing a carded collection anymore (Vintage excepted) the plainness really doesn't matter. But if forced to commit, I'd say nay.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."