Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - 2013 Wave 1  (Read 38865 times)

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - 2013 Wave 1
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2013, 03:26 PM »
If anyone was looking for Celebration Luke... he's shown back up on Amazon (Prime):

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Series-Skywalker-Figure/dp/B00CG5WVW2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1377106080&sr=8-8&keywords=star+wars+black+series

This might have to be the route I go for Luke. I have seen 4 cases at two seperate Walmarts, but Luke for long gone. I did find my lone Padme. All the other usual suspects were there in multitudes.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2013, 08:14 PM »
I've still yet to see this wave, save for remnants at a lone TRU...  I've never seen a sniff of Luke/Padme in the wild even though a local buddy got them for me.  I honestly have seen jack of this stuff, anywhere really, but that one TRU sighting.  I bought the Clone Sergeant and still haven't opened him because I just don't care about those repaints enough I guess.

So far this is the worst distributed series...  Between Target's complete ball drop on the matter, and all the other retailers having space but no product, it's weird.

I've seen 6" a lot now...  The same 4 at my K-Mart haven't moved since Day 1.  I've seen tons of MS and Legends too...  Some sold at first, but for the most part aren't moving at this moment but it's just back to school time too...

But still, no TBS 3.75" around at all...  It's disappointing as I'd probably buy a few Biggs for average height X-Wing Pilot customs.  That's been a rare body ultimately for that, but I've yet to see him at all.  Go figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2013, 12:55 AM »
Yeah my sighting today was my first as well. All Targets have either bare shelves or old Vintage figures at full price. Wal-Marts don't even have shelf space for Black Series, and some I've seen don't even have Star Wars in the planogram... and TRU is, well, TRU. They're good with their two restocks per year.

Haven't even seen any sign of 6 inch figs either.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2013, 04:49 AM »
Saw remnants of Wave 1 at HEB (Texas grocery chain) today, and since they still had the Vintage SKU, they were priced at $7.98 (these stores never went along with the price increases). Almost snagged the lone Biker Scout and Clone Pilot, but ended up passing in the end.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2013, 04:15 PM »
Wow at $8 I'd buy just because!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Pegwarmer articles already?  How about a little patience, m'kay?  Let's see how the line is selling perhaps....THREE WAVES IN, and not THREE WEEKS IN.  Maybe even when collectors, who seem to have been in a state of hibernations, actually realize that there's new product in stores?  Or when they start getting back from vacation in earnest?!?! 

There's something to be said for the perspective that a little bit of time can provide.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2013, 05:32 PM »
I haven't even seen the entire wave in stores yet, just Biggs, Vader and Scouty.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2013, 06:04 PM »
I've walked into stores and have seen everyone except Padme.  Oh, I love the MoSC (mint on stapled card) look.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2013, 06:30 PM »
I've not seen a sniff of these outside remnants at TRU and remnants at K-Mart...  once each.

*shrugs*

In my estimation, TBS 3.75" is nowhere to be found...  It's not even being distributed at most Target stores, TRU's the only one to get much in, WM is hit and miss (at best) nationally much less localized (nothing here, yet), and K-mart's getting a case or two in, that's it...  some, not at all yet.

TBS 6" seems like it's doing ok, though Maul, Luke, and R2 are findable...  I see them anyway in my little localized area.  Sandtroopers sell steadily.  I think hype's part of this, personally.  But the line seems to be doing ok out of the gate.

Legends and Mission Series, I see everywhere...  Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, and Toys R Us all have these in abundance...  If I were to point to pegwarmers, it'd be these, out of the gate.  Only Yoda seems difficult to find if you can give that label to any figure.  I thought Vader/Droid might be a tough nut to crack, but no...  He's everywhere in abundance.  These are the only heavily distributed action figures from Hasbro so far this year, and it seems to be national not local, so I think that can get some finger pointing...

TBS, either size, I agree for now...  Way too early.  I've barely seen anything of 3.75" and 6" I think really hasn't seen full distro yet either...  better than that 3.75" line though... yikes.  It's a shoddy assortment though, and shoddy carry-overs as well IMO.  I think Hasbro's going with what was produced though, not what maybe was the best choices...  I think a lot of Wave 1 was already in the wings for AOTC3D and just got put on new cards, more or less.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2013, 08:38 PM »
Its much the same here, although I haven't stepped foot in a Wal-Mart for awhile now so I can't say what's there necessarily.  Target put out a fresh case of TPM vintage figures, and has tons of both the Legends and Mission Series packs.  I've seen the 6" figures sell through twice, and there is currently a set of four on the shelf at our local store.  TRU is where I found the 3 3/4" Black Series (the only place I've seen them yet), but I haven't been back there since then either.  It really sounds like those are a tough find everywhere right now.  That, combined with an already questionable lineup, makes me wonder what the future is for this line.  I mean, I'm sure it will be done with as the movie moves closer, but I wonder if it will even last that long.  Cue the conspiracy theories that Hasbro is killing 3 3/4" collector figures to make room for a Legends/6" Black Series combo ;).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Be nice if retailers waited till wave 2 or 3 even to order in much TBS 3.75"...  I'd be fine with that.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2013, 10:23 PM »
Pegwarmer articles already?  How about a little patience, m'kay?  Let's see how the line is selling perhaps....THREE WAVES IN, and not THREE WEEKS IN.  Maybe even when collectors, who seem to have been in a state of hibernations, actually realize that there's new product in stores?  Or when they start getting back from vacation in earnest?!?! 

There's something to be said for the perspective that a little bit of time can provide.

Saga Legends, Mission Series and the 12" soap bottles, mini vehicles have been out (technically) just as long, so are peg warmer articles "too soon" for those assortments too? The article is obviously anecdotal and written from a first hand POV. Sure it has a "told you so" slant, but the observation and opinion regarding the trend is sound and not without merit nor beyond commentary.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:31 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2013, 11:02 PM »
Pretty much.

Opinion pieces might drive page views for a site, but they can also erode the overall credibility of a SW collecting site. It begs the question: do local store reports really stand on their own as national collecting news?  And very often pieces like this will snowball until you wind up with W.B.B. style opinion pieces dominating the real news.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:06 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2013, 11:08 PM »
I think it's early on TBS 3.75" and 6"...  Mission Series/Legends, I think they're near fair game at this point because it seems EVERYONE has those...

I've seen all those and the soap bottle guys and new $20 vehicles a lot longer than any TBS item though, at all.  That's maybe just here though...  Right now TBS is nowhere here really...  6" is it and it's sold ok enough it seems...  I have no doubt Wave 1 3.75" isn't a home run though.  Poor choices, too many repaints/repacks, not really any "new" there at all.  Bad wave...  Don't think anyone's going to argue that point.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2013, 12:12 AM »
Pretty much.

Opinion pieces might drive page views for a site, but they can also erode the overall credibility of a SW collecting site. It begs the question: do local store reports really stand on their own as national collecting news?  And very often pieces like this will snowball until you wind up with W.B.B. style opinion pieces dominating the real news.

So,

sites that strictly tow the line, dump the latest press releases and post ads/eBay links = credible
sites that do the above plus openly question brand decisions, product quality and actively solicit a dialogue with collectors (through comments and forums) < credible

If there is one thing that YF has never, ever, ever cared about (in my tenure) it's "driving pages views". Maybe it shows, I don't know. Others are voracious about it. I, on the other hand, couldn't give 2 *****.

Anyway, back to TBS. In my area, sell through has been pretty good (kickstarted by the "catch and release" program we have in MN for TPM/TVC pegwarmers). Vader, Anakin and Biggs seem to linger but for only a few days if they haven't fallen off the card* by then.

For the 6", R2 and Luke are perpetual buddies on the shelves. Sandys and Maul (to a lesser degree) are snapped up.

*warning: driving page view(s)  ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:17 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird